New Cruiser looking for LOTS of advice

RainbowsMist

Hello there! I've been lurking on your board for quite some time and WOW I have learned a LOT about cruising from you guys! Honestly I had no idea there was this much to learn.

My hubby and I will be celebrating out 10th anniversary Oct 2006 and we knew we wanted to go somewhere away from the kids, however we're not ones to lounge on a beach for 7 days straight so we really felt the resort idea was not for us, we were suggested a cruise by a TA. After we looked at some brochures we both fell in love with what we were reading.

First of all our anniversary is October 11th, we were told to avoid going on a cruise October & November due to hurricane season in the Caribbean, so we've been looking at April 2006. Is that a wise decision to avoid time of year??

Secondly, for first time cruisers which part of the Caribbean is the best? East, West, or South? I have been to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico and Florida as a teenager with my family, however my hubby hasn't been anywhere (we live in Nova Scotia, Canada). We heard Eastern Caribbean is best for new cruisers, is that correct?

We have decided with Carnival. Their price is the best for us (darn exchange rate! mad.gif ) and we're looking for the more ports the better. We've really taken a liking to the 8 night Liberty, April 1/06. We're not familiar with things to do at the ports but I've been doing lots of reading here and I'm enjoying what I"m reading so far. Can anyone recommend another cruise itinerary that would be good for newbies? This will be the only cruise we go on for a long time so we really want to make the best of it. The Liberty is selling out fast so we have to make a decision soon, but it's such a tough one to make!

Also should i book through my local TA, or would I book through carnival, or at an online site? We're also needing airfair so that would have to be available.

I have TONS more questions but better to start here first.

Thanks in advance,

Kim smile.gif

"First of all our anniversary is October 11th, we were told to avoid going on a cruise October & November due to hurricane season in the Caribbean, so we've been looking at April 2006. Is that a wise decision to avoid time of year?? "

I have sailed every year during hurricane season. The prices are a ton better at that time and I have missed one port in 3 trips because of hurricanes.

"Secondly, for first time cruisers which part of the Caribbean is the best? East, West, or South? I have been to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico and Florida as a teenager with my family, however my hubby hasn't been anywhere (we live in Nova Scotia, Canada). We heard Eastern Caribbean is best for new cruisers, is that correct?"

I personally enjoy the Western Caribbean. Seems like more to do and places I like to visit too. Big fan of Cozumel!!!! LOL

We have decided with Carnival. Their price is the best for us (darn exchange rate! ) and we're looking for the more ports the better. We've really taken a liking to the 8 night Liberty, April 1/06.

I like the ships like Conquest out of New Orleans or Glory out of Cape Canaveral myself.

These are my own opinions on it...Whatever you chose you will enjoy it!!!!!!

I've cruised several times in Sept & Oct have been lucky so far with the hurricane situation.

As one who is booked on both the S&S II for Oct & Liberty 4/1, might I suggest you look into booking with a CC group cruise. We get good prices & shipboard credit as well as get a chance to meet some of the members you see posting here.

Good luck with whatever decide. Cruising seems to be the best way possible to see several different places at a reasonable price.

DW and myself anniversary is Oct. 11 and we sailed then last year, no problems. Happy Anniversary early!

Western Carribean is great. Cozumel and Paradise Beach are awesome. Get a balcony if you can. You will love the peacefullness and privacy of a balcony if you can get it.

Go with a great attitude, that makes the whole difference. Sailing in hurricane season is no problem if you understand that you might not end up where you originally thought you might. The captain will not put you in danger (unless you are on NCL . . . JUST KIDDING) and will get you to some great places if there is rough weather.

Have a great anniversary cruise!!!

If you were wanting to take a trip to get away from the "kids", I sure wouldn't sail in April due to Spring Break and tons of kids. I would stick to Oct or Nov.

Eastern or Western is great. Seem to be more eco tours on the western and more island hopping on the eastern. I prefer the eastern but love the western as well.

If it's going to be a while before you cruise again I would suggest a Voyager class ship with Royal Caribbean International. They offer virtually everything.

April is spring break, as the other poster said. If you want to be away from children, this wouldn't be a good time.

We went on the Paradise Western Caribbean in April 2004 with our girls and out of 2000 cruisers, 900 were kids. It didn't bother me a bit because I felt the parents were more subdued and didn't drink and party it up so much. I think drunken adults are way worse than kids any day.

BUT, think about a different date if you want to be away from kids for a week.

Since we did the Western we are doing the Eastern this time. I'm not as excited as I was with the Western ports, but I'm sure they will be fine. Sounds to me like the Eastern is full of shopping. We do have friends that live in St. Thomas, so they are picking us up at the port and take us on their own tour.

(-;

Also, you will save money by not booking during spring break. I wish we could go at another time but with two girls in high school and one in middle school, I will not pull them out of school for a week to save money. BUT, we could have taken the same cruise in January for way less.

We have cruised 3 years straight in October (our anniv. is also 10/11) and have not had any weather related issues other than coming back to the cold weather in Michigan~ also, the other posters are correct - there are very few children on board as they are in school also the college kids are in school as well. Happy Anniversary to all - and Have fun....

The beginning of April 2006 should not coincide with Spring Break (I checked before we booked our Legend cruise and prices seemed to verify). Check on prices for the Legend 4/2/06, we got a cat. 11 and 8 days for the same price we paid for a 9A on the Glory, a 7 day cruise. I was told at that time we were booking at a non-spring break time.

Hi Kim. Welcome to the boards!:)

As said above, March and April are spring break months here. I suggest you go in October or November. The weather temps will be the same in the tropics anytime of the year. I always cruise in the fall - yes, during hurricane season. I would never go on a cruise when kids are out of school - like summer or spring break or holiday times. MUCH more relaxing without kiddies running around. I think your choice of the Liberty would be a good cruise for your anniversary celebration.

As far as booking, you'll have to make that decision. What I always suggest is to get pen and pad ready, a 'cruise notebook' if you will. Check with online agencies, local TAs, and also a Carnival PVP (personal vacation planner). Get all the info you need, including asking if there are any penalties for changes/cancellations, make sure port charges and taxes are included, and any hidden fees. Armed with that info, you will have done your homework and can make an intelligent decision! Good luck!:)

The beginning of April 2006 should not coincide with Spring Break (I checked before we booked our Legend cruise and prices seemed to verify). Check on prices for the Legend 4/2/06, we got a cat. 11 and 8 days for the same price we paid for a 9A on the Glory, a 7 day cruise. I was told at that time we were booking at a non-spring break time.

Trust me, it's spring break. We are sailing April 9th. Anytime from the end of March (college students) to the middle of April is fair game.

Trust me, it's spring break. We are sailing April 9th. Anytime from the end of March (college students) to the middle of April is fair game.

Easter is 4/16/06, the cruise is 8 days arriving back on the Monday before Easter. The majority of Spring Breaks in the US are the week before or after Easter. Most college students opt for 7 days or less. Hence the opinion that THIS particular cruise would not appeal to familys and/or college students. This was also the opinion of Carnival and my TA.

Trust me I really looked into this as the only real problem we had on our last cruise were the college students who were "just trying to have a good time" and left their door open "because we can't hear our friends knocking, it's kinda loud in here". I nicely explained on the first night "I can't hear anything in your cabin if the door is closed but I hear everything if it is open, please keep the door shut." It didn't work, they just did not care.

If you don't think you will run into kids/teens at this time, you will be so disappointed when you arrive on your ship. Colleges/schools vary across the nation.

U.S. Big Events

• Spring Break: overall - 2nd week of March to early April. Each school designates it's own specific week(s).

Look at these spring break cruises the same week you are going:

http://www.wittetravel.com/articles/vacation_travel/000308.html

For what it is worth I am leading a group Cruise on the 15th of April for Familys and Kids but we have couples booked to!! There will allways be kids on a cruise!!! Just not as many during certian times..

Here is what we had in April!!!!!! Bring your kids and have a great time!!!

Here is a list of last April's Sailing of the Triumph Travelers!!!!!

Triumph April 16 sailing there are currently: Corrected

23 - toddlers between the ages of 2-3

453 - children between the ages of 4-12

468 - children between the ages of 13-16

0 - 17 year olds

69 - 18 year olds

25 - guests between the ages of 19-20

and

127 - guests between the ages of 21-25

Chuck

Thank you all very much for the quick responses. I knew the U.S. Spring Break was a little different than our March Break (March 12-18). As for kids running around DH and I love kids, we have 3 DD's ourselves 10 1/2, 8 1/2 & 3 we are just looking for some "us" time away from "our" kids...wink.gif

We absolutely love the itinerary of the Liberty April 1/06..if only they had the same one in October that would be perfect..but they don't.

Like I said...it's a HUGE decision.

Thanks again,

Kim smile.gif

If you don't think you will run into kids/teens at this time, you will be so disappointed when you arrive on your ship. Colleges/schools vary across the nation.

U.S. Big Events

• Spring Break: overall - 2nd week of March to early April. Each school designates it's own specific week(s).

Look at these spring break cruises the same week you are going:

http://www.wittetravel.com/articles/vacation_travel/000308.html

Hootsie, I guess we should agree to disagree. If I weren't on an 8 day, coming back on a weekday (therefore overlapping weeks) I would and do agree with all you've said. I don't expect a kid or college free cruise, I just went with the odds that there would not be as many college students on this particular sailing.

Happy sailing :)

I live here in florida(volusia county) and spring break for them is the week before easter. Most of march and all of april are spring break months.

I am going on my first cruise in october:D . Most of the hurricanes are done and over with by then. October isn't usually a very busy month. BUT you never know what the weather will do:confused:

Hootsie, I guess we should agree to disagree. If I weren't on an 8 day, coming back on a weekday (therefore overlapping weeks) I would and do agree with all you've said. I don't expect a kid or college free cruise, I just went with the odds that there would not be as many college students on this particular sailing.

Happy sailing :)

Isn't there an age minimum that would lessen the college kids? I would thing that age would be the worst to deal with.

Kim

As Brenda said, we have a large adults only group cruise on 4/1/06 on Liberty. We have many activities planned that you may or may not choose to participate in (since it is your aniversary) Also we have a $100 per room credit, not to mention a reduced rate when you book with the group. Our link is posted below!!:D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=158569

In my previous experience college students were the biggest issue of our cruise. There were lots of the under 18 set as well (it was a public school spring break time, including my 2 nieces and a nephew, DSis was getting married). We had very few and very minor issues (no pun intended,:)) with that age group.

Hi Kim,

Cruising is great and you'll love it, especially if you're flexible and go into with the understanding that you're on a HUGE moving hotel, and that things don't always go perfectly. If you start there, you'll have a great time.

As for the weather, the captains are very good at knowing where they are and getting out of the way. And the chances that you'll have to deal with one is minimal.

We took our first cruise last year, and loved it. Actually, we went in early december, the weather was GREAT and the prices that time of year are amazing! (if money is an issue). And, the ship was decorated (somewhat) for Christmas, which was extra cool. The Conquest going to the western Caribbean was great. Now we're doing an eastern cruise which I'm really excited about since I've always wanted to go to the virgin islands.

Some people reccomend taking a bigger ship the first time, in case you get seasick (bigger ships tend to rock less). So, we took the Conquest (110,000 tons - one of the bigger ones). Plus there is more to do and see. So, we're taking the Navigator in sept. (142,000 tons).

Also, look at ship info and see how old the ship is, then search these boards to see if it has been redecorated. Lots of people suggest not taking a ship that is over 3-5 years old if it hasn't been redecorated because it can look shabby. A lot of people on those ships you know.

The best thing for our last cruise: create a word document on my computer, and anytime I found a tip, trick, suggestion or idea, I cut and paste it into the document. I used those tips for making decisions on excursions, what to take and what to do on the ship. THen I printed it off and had my own little cruise instruction book to take on the ship. It really helped!!!

I would definitely not cruise in march and april. Too many kids.

Hope that helps.

Jim

Guest cruzr44
Thank you all very much for the quick responses. I knew the U.S. Spring Break was a little different than our March Break (March 12-18). As for kids running around DH and I love kids, we have 3 DD's ourselves 10 1/2, 8 1/2 & 3 we are just looking for some "us" time away from "our" kids...wink.gif

We absolutely love the itinerary of the Liberty April 1/06..if only they had the same one in October that would be perfect..but they don't.

Like I said...it's a HUGE decision.

Thanks again,

Kim smile.gif

Would you consider waiting until 12/9/06? The same itinerary on the Liberty and also a great time to cruise. Good prices too. I would start with booking through Carnival to lock in a price (change to a TA later if you prefer). Book your own air and go down a day early if at all possible. Makes for a more relaxing embarkation day. Any other questions, ask away.

mx55mom@yahoo.com

Archived