Booking Future Cruise While Onboard

CarolRoy

Has anyone booked a future cruise while on board? What are the advantages? Any reduced deposits, OBC given, any great rates? Do you have to know what cruise you would want to book or can you do an open booking? Thinking about doing this on our next cruise this month.

Has anyone booked a future cruise while on board? What are the advantages? Any reduced deposits, OBC given, any great rates? Do you have to know what cruise you would want to book or can you do an open booking? Thinking about doing this on our next cruise this month.

That is what the DW and I did on our last cruise. As of now you have to book the cruise while on board. It used to be you could buy a future cruise certificate but that's no longer the case. The advantage was OBC in our case $100 for a 7 day cruise. We also went prepared know which cruise which date and which section of the ship we wanted down to the room. It's worked out great since we booked an ES rate and received an extra $80 discount on our balance and another $42 OBC from 2 price drops.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Yes, I did this last Dec on the Freedom for a cruise on the Liberty in Jan 2015. You will get an OBC based on the length of the cruise booked. I think it is 50 for up to 6 days, 100 for 7-12, 200 for 13+. You will also get 2 Family and Friend certificates that gives the opportunity to book additional cabins after you get back for 60 days and they will get the OBC as well.

My recommendation is you "know" which cruise you want to take, port, travel dates, and cabin (pick a few in case they get sold). Plus, have the total price with you as well. It not only makes it easier, it tells you if you have the same deal you can get on the outside. I would do this one or two days before the cruise or you can even do it onboard at the ship internet terminals (no charge).

Last recommendation is to do this early into the cruise. As the cruise goes by, the FCC desk will get busier and busier.

Steve

If you book the past guest rate while on board, you can transfer the booking to another cruise without a penalty and the OBC will transfer to the new cruise. You can even re-book it to an Early Saver to take advantage of the better price and keep the OBC. The confirmation number stays the same. I did change my on board booking without a problem and the OBC was applied to the new cruise.

Remember if you book Early Saver while on board, you will be subject to the cancellation penalty if you change.

Sometimes Carnival may offer double OBC if you book a cruise on board and the sailing is within a specified date. On my last cruise in January, the offer was double OBC if you book on board with a sail date thru May 31st. I was not able to take part in that offer but look out for it.:cool:

Edited by JohnSpo

Also, keep this in mind, you can use the ship's computer / internet kiosk to get on carnival.com for free. Check your rates, specials, etc ... before heading to the future cruise desk.

Additionally, some pre-planning can work to your advantage.

Example, my parents wanted to take a family cruise. We needed 6 cabins between the parents, my sister, and my families.

A few weeks back on the Legend, my wife and I booked 2 cabins. Each cabin came with $100 OBC + 2 Family / Friends $100 OBC vouchers if booked on the same cruise, within 60 days.

Presto, every cabin now has the OBC. We booked ES, and will continue to watch for price drops until we sail next March.