Choice of hotel in Vancouver

I have two hotels booked for my upcoming one night stay in Vancouver:

The Quality Hotel Downtown False Creek on Howe St. and the Barclay Hotel on Robson St.

We will be taking a cab to get to the port (we are leaving from Ballantyne) and using the Sky Train from the Airport.

I would like to know which hotel is more conveniently located to use the SkyTrain, and the closest to Ballantyne.

Thank You :)

I have two hotels booked for my upcoming one night stay in Vancouver:

The Quality Hotel Downtown False Creek on Howe St. and the Barclay Hotel on Robson St.

We will be taking a cab to get to the port (we are leaving from Ballantyne) and using the Sky Train from the Airport.

I would like to know which hotel is more conveniently located to use the SkyTrain, and the closest to Ballantyne.

Thank You :)

Nether are very close to Canada Line that comes into Vancouver from the airport. I would take a t6axi from the airport to either hotel. The Quality inn is probably the closest to the Canada Line but still a fair walk with luggage .

The term Skytrain in Vancouver refers to the rapid transit system that goes east into Surrey , Burnaby and New Westminster . Line from the airport to downtown is called the Canada Line.

Edited by Kamloops50

They are both virtually an identical distance from the same Skytrain station (City Centre, which is on the Canada Line to YVR) - see map. The Barclay is about half a kilometre nearer to Ballantyne, but the route involves a particularly slow section of downtown whereas from the Quality Hotel there's a faster-but-longer route - I wouldn't care to guess which would actually work out better on any given day.

In short, both hotels are equally convenient for your criteria - it may be worth mentioning that the Barclay is better for Stanley Park & the West End whereas the Quality is better for Granville Island, Yaletown, Chinatown; they're pretty much the same for Gastown & the core of downtown around the Art Gallery to Canada Place.

Edited by martincath
spelling

Martin - it might actually be a little closer to the Quality Inn from the Yaletown Station although the walk is uphill.

As I live by the Quality Inn I usually use the Yaletown station when using the Canada Line

Cheers!

Dennis

In short, both hotels are equally convenient for your criteria - it may be worth mentioning that the Barclay is better for Stanley Park & the West End whereas the Quality is better for Granville Island, Yaletown, Chinatown; they're pretty much the same for Gastown & the core of downtown around the Art Gallery to Canada Place.

Thank you for your reply.

We are planning on going to Granville Island. What is the best way to go there from the Quality Hotel ?

To options from yopur hotel

You could walk across the Granville street bridge - access ramp right outside your hotel or take the little ferry across False Creek - to do that - out the front door of the hotel - turn right and walk downhill to Pacific St - a short 1/2 block - turn right one block to Hornby and then left down Hornby to the ferry dock.

Hope this helps and enjoy your visit.

Cheers!

Dennis

Thank you for your reply.

We are planning on going to Granville Island. What is the best way to go there from the Quality Hotel ?

Just to add to UTs note - unless you are very comfortable with heights Granville Bridge is best avoided. The barriers have significant gaps where they meet the edge of the sidewalk so it's hard not to see the water down below you, and there's no barrier between you and the traffic. Combine that with the occasional cyclist who decides the supposedly-pedestrian-only sidewalk is better to ride on than the bike lane on the roadway and the kilometre+ extra walking as the bridge overhoots the island a lot makes it a thoroughly annoying walk. If you are good with heights and the extra distance you do get pretty good views though...

I would definitely do the ferry - the cash fare of $3.50/$5.50 return is barely more than a bus ticket ($2.75 - and the nearest bus stop to GI is a quarter-mile away from the public market) and it's by far the quickest and most enjoyable way to get there.

Right as usual UT - almost 400 yards closer. I thought the distance was more comparable than that so ignored Y-R station due to the hill.

How much of a hill is it ?

Is it walkable with a suitcase ?

Thanks again

Last year we stayed at Accent Inn, Burnaby, for the cost of the room we were able to park our car there and they provided transportation to and back from the port. The total cost was around 170 Canadian. We spent less for the room/trans. than parking would have cost us alone.

Last year we stayed at Accent Inn, Burnaby, for the cost of the room we were able to park our car there and they provided transportation to and back from the port. The total cost was around 170 Canadian. We spent less for the room/trans. than parking would have cost us alone.

Do they charge for the shuttle to and back from the port?

Do they charge for the shuttle to and back from the port?

It was a package and the price included the shuttle, which was prompt and very nice. They came to the hotel on time to get us there, unloaded the car and brought us right to the dropoff for luggage. When we arrived back to port, the shuttle service was there as well. Couldn't ask for more. Our vehicle was just as we parked it safe and sound. The room was very large and clean and the hotel staff great. We were so hesitant to leave our car but we had to leave it someplace anyway! The parking garage was well over 300 for the 2 weeks and that was just to park the car. We were going to stay overnight the day before anyway so this was a win win. We did check a few other hotels, while some offered to park free for a week and then charge per day for the other week. Even that one sorry can't recall the name was less than $300. When I heard of the Accent Inn, and about half the cost we were hesitant thinking it may be in a not so good area but it was all fine and wonderful!

It was a package and the price included the shuttle, which was prompt and very nice. They came to the hotel on time to get us there, unloaded the car and brought us right to the dropoff for luggage. When we arrived back to port, the shuttle service was there as well. Couldn't ask for more. Our vehicle was just as we parked it safe and sound. The room was very large and clean and the hotel staff great. We were so hesitant to leave our car but we had to leave it someplace anyway! The parking garage was well over 300 for the 2 weeks and that was just to park the car. We were going to stay overnight the day before anyway so this was a win win. We did check a few other hotels, while some offered to park free for a week and then charge per day for the other week. Even that one sorry can't recall the name was less than $300. When I heard of the Accent Inn, and about half the cost we were hesitant thinking it may be in a not so good area but it was all fine and wonderful!

Sounds a good package. Is the reservation refundable?

We also have used the package from the Accent Inn in Richmond near the airport . They also have a package that is for people who fly in and stay a night .

Thank you. I certainly will put Accent Inn in my hotel list.

It is refundable up to 4pm the day of arrival.after that one night is automatically charged to your CC.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

It is refundable up to 4pm the day of arrival.after that one night is automatically charged to your CC.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

Thank you!! :o

It can change at anytime. I prefer the Richmond location because your closer to a number of larger malls and a good choice of restaurants.

• 2 weeks later...
How much of a hill is it ?

Is it walkable with a suitcase ?

Thanks again

Sorry! Just back from a cruise late yesterday, did not sere your follow-up Q until now... The hill on Davie walking from Yaletown-Roundhouse to the Quality hotel is walkable as long as you can handle an elevation gain of 20 metres over 450 metres.

If you're going to consider a hotel in Burnaby (just east of Vancouver) there are plenty of hotels like the Accent. Our CEO from california preferred the Executive Inn on Lougheed to the Accent (on Henning), and it has the advantage it's much closer to a Skytrain station if you want to get into Vancouver.

Also, the hotels at Metrotown (HI Express etc), put you right next to the Expo/Millenium Line to Vancouver Waterfront (1/2 block from Canada Place) as well as next door to Metro Vancouver's largest shopping complex.

Also, someone mentioned that Skytrain only refers to Expo and Millenium lines, whereas it actually refers to all four elevated/subway lines in Vancouver:

• Expo Line (Vancouver/Burnaby/New Westminster/Surrey),
  • Millenium Line (Vancouver/Burnaby/New Westminster/N.Burnaby)
  • Canada Line (Vancouver/Richmond/YVR);
  • and the still under construction Evergreen Line (Burnaby/Coquitlam/Port Moody/Port Coquitlam) which opens in 2016

Originally the Canada Line wasn't going to be named Skytrain, because the trademark (or something like that) is held by Bombardier for the technology used on Expo/Millenium/Evergreen; whereas Canada Line is more conventional powered rail. Somewhere along the way an agreement was made so that it could be used for Canada Line as well.

We didn't have to pay a deposit. As someone else posted, can be cancelled until 4pm of the day of arrival.

We just returned from our cruise out of Vancouver. We stayed at the Metropolitan Hotel which is right in the middle of downtown on Howe St. It is about four blocks to Canada Place and across street from Pacific Mall. It is a beautiful hotel...we had a room with a wall of windows. Since you are leaving from Ballentine you will need to take a taxi.