It's over! I'm back from the Explorer today

Thanks for the info.

It seems like the cabin next to that goes out a bit more- so they could peek into this cabin? That is what we are fearful of - we don't want to not have privacy.

I am thankful for your information.

Thanks again.

anytime! Ask if 6628 is available... You won't regret it if you want privacy.

Thanks for the info.

It seems like the cabin next to that goes out a bit more- so they could peek into this cabin? That is what we are fearful of - we don't want to not have privacy.

I am thankful for your information.

Thanks again.

Carrie P,

We were on the same excursion with Godfrey and didn't even know it! We were supposed to go with Sunny Liston, but I guess he didn't have a full van, so when we got to the port, we were told to go with Godfrey. We were the family of 4 that sat in the front row of seats. I had gone to Coki Beach the last time I was in St. Thomas, so this time we went to Sapphire Beach.

Ann

Hi Cruiser TK

Thats a good question. I'd honestly have to say I'd go back on the princess.... Don't get me wrong, we loved the explorer of the seas and had a wonderful time. Based on My personal experience I enjoyed the time on the Grand Princess better. Just the pools/hottubs were so much nicer and they even had a nice "aft" pool and hot tubs... On the explorer I felt like sardines in the pool. We chose to use the pools at night when they were basically empty so we could enjoy ourselves.

The food was good on both so I won't say much about that. I liked the over all ambiance of the princess better. I liked the way there shops were layed out more instead of the prominade which was like a mall in the middle of the ship.

I hope I don't sound like I"m complaining because I'm not at all.... I may even just try norweigan or another line the next time ... Just to see... know what I mean?

Our room was nice, balcony was fine on the explorer.

I guess thats about it. I did like that the explorer hit 4 islands vs. the princess usual 3 islands. I prefer more Island time than ship time.

Hi Ann... You know, funny thing is I had a feeling that could have been you but wasn't sure. I kept trying to listen to see if I'd hear your name mentioned and never did. Did you enjoy the cruise and goddfreys tour? I thought he was wonderful and would recommend him to anyone. I'd also highly recommend to anyone the banana daquiri's at mountaintop! I'm not a drinker so it was fun for me... Hope you're adjusting to life off the ship!

Carrie P,

We were on the same excursion with Godfrey and didn't even know it! We were supposed to go with Sunny Liston, but I guess he didn't have a full van, so when we got to the port, we were told to go with Godfrey. We were the family of 4 that sat in the front row of seats. I had gone to Coki Beach the last time I was in St. Thomas, so this time we went to Sapphire Beach.

Ann

Carrie P - thanks for the nice, well rounded review of the Explorer. We will be on there in March (it's my first cruise). We are in balcony cabin 7320 located right on the hump. I've read on here that it's a good room. I know no cruise is 100% perfect but, after reading your post, it's made me even more excited than I already was!! March can't come soon enough.

:D Thanks again! :D

Carrie,

How did you get from the Holiday Inn to the cruise terminal? We'll be staying there for our Explorer cruise in October and was wondering if they offer a shuttle or if we need to get a taxi. We stayed at the Radisson last year, went to Bayside Marketplace and had a wonderful time. Hopefully it will be great once again.

Our first cruise we used Godfrey's on St. Thomas and did the same tour. It was a good first experience for us.

Thanks,

Ron

Carrie

Tell me some more about the Holiday Inn where you stayed prior to the cruise. Did you book this yourself. How close to the port? Did HI have a shuttle to the port or From the Airport??

We are looking for something reasonably priced for our cruise in Jan 2006 and any info you can provide would be appreciated.

Rich in N VA

Thanks for the great review! We're doing this ship and same itinerary in January. Did the Navigator a year ago and did the Western. We absolutely loved the layout of the Voyager class ship.

I have a question...We have our excursions pretty much planned out except for Nassau...Did you do the ferry to Paradise Island and the snorkeling with the stingrays on your own or did you book it through RCCL? Either way, can you tell me more and how much the cost was per person? Thank you!

Carrie P - thanks for the nice, well rounded review of the Explorer. We will be on there in March (it's my first cruise). We are in balcony cabin 7320 located right on the hump. I've read on here that it's a good room. I know no cruise is 100% perfect but, after reading your post, it's made me even more excited than I already was!! March can't come soon enough.

:D Thanks again! :D

TAB--

What week in March will you be on the Explorer? A group of 29 of us are sailing March 5 to the Eastern Caribbean. Most us us are from the Toledo OH area, but we have 5 from Arizona, also.

TAB--

What week in March will you be on the Explorer? A group of 29 of us are sailing March 5 to the Eastern Caribbean. Most us us are from the Toledo OH area, but we have 5 from Arizona, also.

sicsinohio - we will be gettting on as you are getting off - that's too bad :mad:- sounds like you have a good time brewing! But I see that you cruised the Explorer before and I would assume (since you are cruising on the Explorer again) that you enjoyed the ship. If so, what is it that you liked enough to come back a second time? I have no idea what to expect except for what I read here and I'm sure, when we get there, we will be amazed at the size and design of the ship.

I can't wait!! :D

Explorer is an amazing ship...I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. Too bad you're not sailing with us, a week earlier! The overall ambiance of the ship is warm and welcoming...surprising because it's so big. It's easy to find your way around, though, and there's truly something for everyone. We had an inside cabin but that was fine because all we did there was shower and sleep. It was clean and pleasant, and our cabin steward was friendly and attentive. The food was good, and a few dishes in the dining room were truly outstanding. We didn't try Portofino's but have heard so many good things about it, we feel we may have missed something, and we plan to give it a try in March. We never waited in line for anything except for the elevators :D. Definitely go to the stage shows, "Quest" night, the skating show, grand buffet, parades, captain's reception, etc., etc. to really immerse yourself in the cruise experience. Don't miss out on the pool deck on "at sea" days. We never made it to the spa last time either, but I might try a hot rock massage or something this time. A fellow cruiser tried it and said it was sublime when we went in 2003. Writing this post brings back such delicious memories...now I can hardly wait to go again!

Explorer is an amazing ship...I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. Too bad you're not sailing with us, a week earlier! The overall ambiance of the ship is warm and welcoming...surprising because it's so big. It's easy to find your way around, though, and there's truly something for everyone. We had an inside cabin but that was fine because all we did there was shower and sleep. It was clean and pleasant, and our cabin steward was friendly and attentive. The food was good, and a few dishes in the dining room were truly outstanding. We didn't try Portofino's but have heard so many good things about it, we feel we may have missed something, and we plan to give it a try in March. We never waited in line for anything except for the elevators :D. Definitely go to the stage shows, "Quest" night, the skating show, grand buffet, parades, captain's reception, etc., etc. to really immerse yourself in the cruise experience. Don't miss out on the pool deck on "at sea" days. We never made it to the spa last time either, but I might try a hot rock massage or something this time. A fellow cruiser tried it and said it was sublime when we went in 2003. Writing this post brings back such delicious memories...now I can hardly wait to go again!

THANKS so much for re-living your Explorer experience! I could feel the excitement in your post :) and hope to do all the things that you recommended. Each day is one day closer to my cruise and, after reading what you and others have said about this ship, I am getting more and more anxious. It's like I can't wait for the time to get here but then I know once it does, it will be over all too soon. Hope you have a GREAT cruise with your group and thanks again for all the info!

We've got an inside room booked for July. Sounds like a great ship!

We took a taxi over to the cruise terminal. I think it was $20.00. There are plenty of taxis directly outside of the hotel... Very easy, quick and convenient.

Carrie,

How did you get from the Holiday Inn to the cruise terminal? We'll be staying there for our Explorer cruise in October and was wondering if they offer a shuttle or if we need to get a taxi. We stayed at the Radisson last year, went to Bayside Marketplace and had a wonderful time. Hopefully it will be great once again.

Our first cruise we used Godfrey's on St. Thomas and did the same tour. It was a good first experience for us.

Thanks,

Ron

We did the trip in nassau through the cruise ship. If I remember correctly it was about $146.00 for the three of us. That was snorkeling with the stingrays. There was also an identical trip going over to blackbeards cay to just use the beach and no stingrays.. That was cheaper. The beach there was gorgous, directly opposite the sandals cable beach property. We had a little time left (about an hour) to shop when we were done ... Hope this helps.

Thanks for the great review! We're doing this ship and same itinerary in January. Did the Navigator a year ago and did the Western. We absolutely loved the layout of the Voyager class ship.

I have a question...We have our excursions pretty much planned out except for Nassau...Did you do the ferry to Paradise Island and the snorkeling with the stingrays on your own or did you book it through RCCL? Either way, can you tell me more and how much the cost was per person? Thank you!

Archived