Vaccinations for the Caribbean.....specifically St Maarten

Hi all, looking forward to our Getaway trip and being a bit of an over-planner :o, I headed over to the Ports of Call boards and was a little worried to see that the island of St Maarten has a bit of a problem with a mosquito-borne virus at the moment! Something called Chikungunya?

Any of you lovely people out there know if we should have any vaccinations before we head out or am I worrying over nothing? ( I usually am! )

TIA for any insight/advice :)

Hi all, looking forward to our Getaway trip and being a bit of an over-planner :o, I headed over to the Ports of Call boards and was a little worried to see that the island of St Maarten has a bit of a problem with a mosquito-borne virus at the moment! Something called Chikungunya?

Any of you lovely people out there know if we should have any vaccinations before we head out or am I worrying over nothing? ( I usually am! )

There's no vaccine for Chikungunya. It's a mosquito-borne illness, so the best thing you can do is avoid getting bitten, maybe by using a repellant? Nothing I'd be overly concerned about if you take precautions against being bitten.

Other than that, I feel that every traveler should be up to date with all the regular vaccines (DPT, MMR, Polio, etc) plus have completed the Hep A and B series. These are the diseases that are present everywhere (including all over the good ol' USA).

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

There isn't a vaccination for that, but if you plan to be out in any areas near trees, etc., I'd definitely bring a deet containing repellent. We were just there in April and did not have a problem just walking around the shopping areas.

You will be fine! We just spent 10 nights in St Maarten. I actually did get bitten but I am fine .

I wore sunscreen with big spray in it and big spray alone .

There is a product called Mosquito Milk that I got while we were on the island since I got a couple bites... It actually worked the best!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will be fine! We just spent 10 nights in St Maarten. I actually did get bitten but I am fine .

I wore sunscreen with big spray in it and big spray alone .

There is a product called Mosquito Milk that I got while we were on the island since I got a couple bites... It actually worked the best!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for that! I am prone to being bitten so I will look out for that product you mentioned. :)

Been to St. Maartens in November and March and never saw a mosquito. Of course I was never in deep shade in the forest (more of a chance). All of these mosquito borne diseases are actually quite rare if you are there for the day on any Caribbean Island.

I did get bit by an ant on the beach in St. Thomas in March though.

Been to St. Maartens in November and March and never saw a mosquito. Of course I was never in deep shade in the forest (more of a chance). All of these mosquito borne diseases are actually quite rare if you are there for the day on any Caribbean Island.

I did get bit by an ant on the beach in St. Thomas in March though.

Thanks for the response. I know I'm probably worrying over nothing, but believe me, if someone is going to get bitten......I can guarantee it will be ME!! Lol :o