Panama Canal: Jewel or Legend of seas?

Jewel without a doubt. It is a much newer bigger ship. Legend was built 20 years ago and has been having mechanical problems the last year or so.

Jewel went into service in 2003.

Edited by The Big Booper

I did that trip on Jewel. I love the radiance class whereas I think the legend is too small

Jewel hasn't been through the Panama Canal yet...perhaps another? :)

Assuming the itineraries are the same or at least you are satisfied with either itin, I probably would pick the Jewel. In defense of the Legend, IMO Royal keeps their ships in great shape, in fact the Legend has already had the big revitalization, (probably due to she is the older ship) while the Jewel is not scheduled for the revitalization until 2016. While the Legend is "smaller" by 95', both the Legend and the Jewel are considered Panamax ships. Consider also that the Jewel can potentially carry over 400 more passengers than the Legend, so I really don't think that extra 95' is going to be all that helpful in stowing all the extra "cargo.";)

OK, now why I would pick the Jewel... I prefer the layout of the upper decks. I believe forward on deck 12 there are stairs down to another forward facing deck on deck 11. This would give additional forward viewing areas which would be particularly helpful for transiting the Canal. The Jewel also has access to the helipad on the bow, which is a great place to see some the transit through the Canal. There is no helipad or access to the bow on the Legend.

I would not have any hesitation going on either.

Jewel hasn't been through the Panama Canal yet...perhaps another? :)

I think the Jewel was doing partial transits after she took over from the Brilliance who stayed over in Europe somewhere around 2009/10.

My sister and I sailed the Jewel on a partial transit several years ago. Besides that being our favorite ship, there are so many areas with great views, lots of windows, etc. that my vote is also for the Jewel. Can't speak about the Legend as we've never sailed on her. Been on the Grandeur but that was so long ago I can't recall what it was like.

Edited by linkerbink