Do you lose TA perk when cashing in early saver?

blakeamy

We have $100 OBC perk when we booked with a travel agent. We booked early saver, and the price dropped $76. The agent said if she submits the price adjustment, we will lose the $100 agency perk. I thought it would be a separate perk unrelated to early saver. Anyone else have this issue? We have always booked directly with carnival, so I don't have any experience with this. Thanks!

If the TA's OBC is coming from their commission then they rightfully can reduce the OBC , but loosing all of it for such a small rate reduction is not right.

Example:

$76 rate reduction @ 15% comm. is only $11.40 less comm. for the TA .

Pulling back the $100 OBC is an insult .

Edited by MCC retired

If your OBC is from something different like stock options or group booking then you should still get it

If the old price had the OBC as part of the old deal then it will be canceled with the new deal

if the new deal you are wanting to be adjusted does not have a OBC attached then you will not get the OBC

you are asking for the new price....you will get the new price....what you are asking for is the best of both worlds

Yes the TA will lose some of the commission but so what that's part of there job....

Edited by woodey

We have $100 OBC perk when we booked with a travel agent. We booked early saver, and the price dropped $76. The agent said if she submits the price adjustment, we will lose the $100 agency perk. I thought it would be a separate perk unrelated to early saver. Anyone else have this issue? We have always booked directly with carnival, so I don't have any experience with this. Thanks!

I imagine different TAs have different policies. Sounds like you booked with a crappy TA for them to pull the perk.

We booked a cruise at close to $1000 pp. It went down in price to $279 pp the week before departure. Our travel agent explained we could either get the price drop or we could keep our OBC of $100. Guess which we took?

I wanted to add that we book ES with Carnival now.

Edited by Grannycb

When I used to book with a TA it was always explained at the front that price adjustments would impact the amount of TA OBC I received.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks for the replies! We booked a total of 5 rooms with a TA (not a part of a larger group as far as I know). She never explained about losing the $100 OBC if we tried to submit a price drop for certain fares. That defeats the purpose of booking the non-refundable early saver fare, right? Anyway, she price matched one room for a senior rate and allowed him to keep the $100 OBC as well. That was for my parents room, and they have used this agent in the past. She said our lower fare that I was trying to price match to was a resident rate and did not allow for her to price match and keep the $100. (Yes, it was same sailing, category, # of passengers, not a guarantee, etc..). I was just wondering if this was normal. In the past, I've always booked with carnival directly, and I submit my own early saver forms. Thanks!

If the TA's OBC is coming from their commission then they rightfully can reduce the OBC , but loosing all of it for such a small rate reduction is not right.

Example:

$76 rate reduction @ 15% comm. is only $11.40 less comm. for the TA .

Pulling back the $100 OBC is an insult .

I agree, to pull the whole amount for such a small price drop is not right.

It also doesn't seem right that the TA has to "do more work" and get less commission for price drops.

I booked with a TA for the OBC (100 per room) but have had SIX price drops in the last two weeks, netting over 800 in OBC. The TA said he would have to lower the OBC to 75 per room with the first set of drops (about 100 per room drop) He hasn't said if I have any OBC from him left (I think he may be avoiding me at this point, six price drops seems excessive as he watches his commission wilt away).

I agree, to pull the whole amount for such a small price drop is not right.

It also doesn't seem right that the TA has to "do more work" and get less commission for price drops.

I booked with a TA for the OBC (100 per room) but have had SIX price drops in the last two weeks, netting over 800 in OBC. The TA said he would have to lower the OBC to 75 per room with the first set of drops (about 100 per room drop) He hasn't said if I have any OBC from him left (I think he may be avoiding me at this point, six price drops seems excessive as he watches his commission wilt away).

Honestly, I doubt your agent is calculating his commission each time your price drops. They all know the system, and they know that price drops are likely. I'd ask about the OBC, but if you really have over $800 in OBC due to price drops, and the agent has submitted them all for you, I don't think I'd be too concerned about that last $75. Carnival would have pulled it by now if it had been attached to one of their promos, too. (unless it was an old FCC or stock credit)

Honestly, I doubt your agent is calculating his commission each time your price drops. They all know the system, and they know that price drops are likely. I'd ask about the OBC, but if you really have over $800 in OBC due to price drops, and the agent has submitted them all for you, I don't think I'd be too concerned about that last $75. Carnival would have pulled it by now if it had been attached to one of their promos, too. (unless it was an old FCC or stock credit)

Funny, a travel agent told me nearly the same thing today.

Carnival would definitely have pulled it already.

And, as of today, I have 1000 in OBC from Carnival.

In the future, I will probably book directly so I don't have to keep contacting the TA with the price drops.

I am an early saver convert, for sure!!

Edited by turning40withMickey

I am booked on BC8 with a TA. First time ever using one. I made sure that if there were any price drops it would NOT affect my 100 OBC that I got for booking with her. She assured me that the 100 OBC was for booking with the group and would not go away with any price drops. I am booked ES. So I guess it depends on you TA.