Yorkeys Knob March 2105 on Solstice no possibility to see GBR

saracenman

Can anyone please give advise re Great Barrier Reef as Solstice docks at 12.00 and leaves at 18.00 - doesn't seem time time to see GBR - I have sent numerous emails to Celebrity hut no-one replies.

Seems IMHO crazy to go all that way and not gtet a chance to see GBR any thgughts most welcome?

To get to the reef to snorkel it's a good 90 minute trip and then there's return. It starts getting darkish around 5pm. Usually they depart from the ship around 8.30am and back by 3pm. Maybe see what shore excursions are offered? The GBR tours are best done through the ship tours.

Can anyone please give advise re Great Barrier Reef as Solstice docks at 12.00 and leaves at 18.00 - doesn't seem time time to see GBR - I have sent numerous emails to Celebrity hut no-one replies.

Seems IMHO crazy to go all that way and not gtet a chance to see GBR any thgughts most welcome?

On Celebrity web site here it shows times as 12:00 to 20:00 so an 8 hour port stop. Maybe that will allow for time to go snorkeling. Not sure what time dusk is at that time of year.

I was just in Cairns and have to say all the day snorkling tours depart by 10 latest, most start boarding between 8 and 9. So I think your only option will be a ship tour or to take the high speed cat out to Green Island. But it won't leave you much time.

It is spectacular and I just did a one week aboard the Coral Princess II (Australian comapny) a boat that holds 44 passengers for an intensive 1 week on the GBR. It is not to be missed if you can work it out.

Edited by 1of4

We were in Yorkeys Knob this last March and the high speed cat wasn't offered. It was a pretty substandard one actually and not the luxury one described in the shore excursion. You wouldn't want to be out past 4pm.

Edited by Pushka

A helicopter ride from Cairns might be the way to go, but will be pricey. A friend took a helicopter back from the outer reef because she was so seasick on the way out, she couldn't face coming back on the boat. I think she paid about $400 Australian dollars. Good luck with your planning:)

Last year we booked a private excursion with Reefdaytripper - sales@reefdaytripper.com.au

http://www.reefdaytripper.com.au/

We had to book the entire boat to get them to go out on our time schedule.

I don't remember the price but if you can get people on your Roll Call to fill the boat it might solve your problem.

They were really nice and it was a good trip but unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate - it was very rough and had stormed the day before and then again as we sailed back into port. Snorkeling wasn't the best that day - that's what's wrong with only spending one day at each port. :(

We did the ship excursion tour on the Millie last Oct. This was the only option as it anchored at 900am.

All the private tours leave no later then 8:30am so we had no other alternative but book the ship tour.

The tour goes directly from the ship to the reef to save time and returned from the dive platform at 4:00 pm.

We had plenty of time to snorkel the roped off swim area at the reef, do the sub tour included and enjoy the buffet lunch. They offered a glass bottom boat tour included as part of the package we did not have time to do.

We paid an extra fee to join a group of 4 other snorkelers and a guide to be dropped off on the far side of the reef from a motor launch after lunch and took over 2 hours to swim / snorkel back to the dive platform.

We made it back just in time to strip our stinger suits and rush on to the boat for the return trip.

It was a spectacular, full and exhausting day.

Edited by baldercash