Cabins on the Spirit

We have just returned from Cyprus with Love on the Spirit. I had booked an outside cabin on deck 2 709. Just round the corner from the aft lifts and very large cabin. Bathroom needed some tlc but otherwise seemed ideal.

After the first night I insisted on moving there was a smell of diesel several times during the night and I must have an allergy to it as it always gives me an instant headache.

I went and complained at reception, I was first told the ship was full and they couldn't move me, my reply was that I would be disembarking at Athens as I could not sleep in a room with diesel smells, the receptionist then came down to the cabin and tried telling me that it was the air fresher or the carpet cleaner. I insisted that it was diesel and my husband confirmed it and since he works in a garage he should know. Then she said she would see what she could do.

Later that afternoon I was contacted and told that the problem was now resolved, it was due to a door being left open in the engine room.

We were offered cabin 078 on deck 8 for a £100 each. I took it as I was sure the problem had not been resolved. We smelt the same smell several times when using the aft lift for the rest of the cruise.

There were also a few issues in cabin 078 which were minor but if I had paid full price for the upgrade I would have been very disappointed.

There was a lifeboat outside the cabin, which in it's self wasn't an issue but the 3 mornings when there was a maintenance man in it with a blow touch at 8am was!!! The cabin was set up as a double which we were happy with but that meant that the pillows were underneath the curtains so there was light shining on the pillows all night! Whenever the boat got a bit rocky the mirror seamed to "click" we tried wedging with cardboard etc but to no avail.

The bathroom had a bath and due to a "dodgy" I struggled having a shower and we are all aware of the vibrations on the spirit which is worse at the centre of the ship, which is just where the toilet was!! :eek::eek:

So, I'm going back down to deck 2 inside midships on my next cruise:D:D

We still had a great cruise!

It dosnt seem fair that you had to pay extra to have a room that did not smell. After all the alternative room must have been sitting there empty (and presumably remain empty until the end of the cruise) , it would of been no issue for them to just allow you to move for the benefit of your comfort with no charge. I don't think they treated you very kind at all.

It was my first cruise on Spirit and I was not aware her vibrations were in the centre of the ship, until sitting in the Show lounge (which is in the centre of the ship) and people near the stage were bouncing with the vibrations!

We were on the same cruise as you and had an outside cabin on deck 3. We also smelt oil in our cabin during the 1st night & when we woke up next morning. My OH went to reception & was told it was coming through the air con & there had been a problem in a few cabins. By the time we went back to our cabin at around 4pm, it had gone, and didn't reappear.

What we did have was a constant engine noise when sailing, but we didn't really notice it after the 1st night, in fact it helped my OH sleep as he suffers from tinitus & struggles sometimes.

Straight after sailing on the 1st 2 days, we had a really loud gushing noise in the wall by our heads, next to the port hole. It went on for 2/3 hours when we were trying to have a siesta before dinner. An engineer came and said there was a waterpipe running through the wall which went to the engine which was the noise.

We were offered a move to another cabin on deck 7, but no charge was mentioned. We decided not to & never heard the noise again.

We enjoyed the cruise, but its the 1st time we had such a bad cabin, no. 528, so suggest anyone avoids it.

We have done loads of Thomson cruises, but are now getting a bit disillusioned by the age & condition of the ships. I'm not sure if even the wonderful crew, entertainment & lovely fellow passengers can make up for that.

We were on the same cruise as you and had an outside cabin on deck 3. We also smelt oil in our cabin during the 1st night & when we woke up next morning. My OH went to reception & was told it was coming through the air con & there had been a problem in a few cabins. By the time we went back to our cabin at around 4pm, it had gone, and didn't reappear.

What we did have was a constant engine noise when sailing, but we didn't really notice it after the 1st night, in fact it helped my OH sleep as he suffers from tinitus & struggles sometimes.

Straight after sailing on the 1st 2 days, we had a really loud gushing noise in the wall by our heads, next to the port hole. It went on for 2/3 hours when we were trying to have a siesta before dinner. An engineer came and said there was a waterpipe running through the wall which went to the engine which was the noise.

We were offered a move to another cabin on deck 7, but no charge was mentioned. We decided not to & never heard the noise again.

We enjoyed the cruise, but its the 1st time we had such a bad cabin, no. 528, so suggest anyone avoids it.

We have done loads of Thomson cruises, but are now getting a bit disillusioned by the age & condition of the ships. I'm not sure if even the wonderful crew, entertainment & lovely fellow passengers can make up for that.

Sorry you had some issues Mower Lady but pleased that you still enjoyed your cruise. Your disillusionment is not an uncommon theme I'm sorry to say over a number of aspects of Thomson Cruises of late. And the really fantastic features on Thomson only go so far to compensate....... sadly.

We have returned today from the Spirit ( I will post a trip report later) We had inside cabin on deck 3 midship and our friends (who booked last minute and therefore paid quite a bit less ) had an outside cabin, same deck but at the back. We were pleased with our cabin, very spacious, clean and comfortable (506), but our friends had problems with theirs. They could smell food constantly and could hear the propellor all night long. This was worse when the ship was going slower. We had one night un scheduled stop in port and they thought it would be a bit of relief but not so. The generator throbbed constantly, so still not a good night. We did advise them to ask for a different room, but they felt that because they paid less for it, they shouldn't really complain. I would have though.