What Carnival ships will be in Tampa?

kimberlys

I am a cruise ship junkie too. I search most every day for opportunities for future cruises. Nice to have all the ships we "currently" have out of Tampa. But this Fall/Winter season we still have 6 ships; Pride/Paradise, Ryndam, NCL Sun, and Vision/Brilliance of the Seas. But I see a reduction happening in front of our eyes in the not so distant future. Pride leaving for Baltimore next March and nothing to replace her, Ryndam leaving and not returning in the Fall/Winter of 2015, with nothing to replace her. Hopefully we will get some replacements but I am not optimistic.

I enjoy going to Davis Island to watch the ships leave, especially on Sundays when 3 ships leave during the Fall/Winter, at least for now. Makes for a nice afternoon, followed by happy hour.

We also visit Davis Island on those days! Find a bench, have a great dinner at Margaritas (formerly Estellas). Now, we will be down to watching the Paradise (Snore...) and the NCL Sun, RCL Brilliance & Vision. The ships get smaller and smaller. I'll bet NCL pulls out next.

We also visit Davis Island on those days! Find a bench, have a great dinner at Margaritas (formerly Estellas). Now, we will be down to watching the Paradise (Snore...) and the NCL Sun, RCL Brilliance & Vision. The ships get smaller and smaller. I'll bet NCL pulls out next.

I agree. Smaller and smaller. Sure is a shame we have the limitations of the Skyway and geographically limited to the Western Caribbean. Just a bit too far to take in the Eastern Caribbean on 7 nighters. And how many times can one visit the same ole Western stuff? Having a port outside the Skyway would sure help, but would be the same itineraries. Hope we will get some good news. Did you hear that AIDA the German cruise line is going to call on Tampa on it's cruises departing Miami? Beginning in Dec of 2014, the route stops in Key West, Tampa, New Orleans and Cozumel. Only here for about 12 hours, but I am glad they are including our port.

I agree. Smaller and smaller. Sure is a shame we have the limitations of the Skyway and geographically limited to the Western Caribbean. Just a bit too far to take in the Eastern Caribbean on 7 nighters. And how many times can one visit the same ole Western stuff? Having a port outside the Skyway would sure help, but would be the same itineraries. Hope we will get some good news. Did you hear that AIDA the German cruise line is going to call on Tampa on it's cruises departing Miami? Beginning in Dec of 2014, the route stops in Key West, Tampa, New Orleans and Cozumel. Only here for about 12 hours, but I am glad they are including our port.

Yeah, the AIDA ships should be interesting, except they are sort of creepy looking, but I can get past that. I tried to research on their site, but gave up after a couple minutes. Both Princess & Celebrity have many smaller ships that would work here. It would be nice if they would opt in. I'm always sad to see a ship leave, but HAL doesn't impress me much (as a ship junkie). I do wish Carnival would add Key West into some of the Paradise itineraries, or even do a Key West/Grand Turk 5 or 7 day. Something to spice things up a bit!

Yeah, the AIDA ships should be interesting, except they are sort of creepy looking, but I can get past that. I tried to research on their site, but gave up after a couple minutes. Both Princess & Celebrity have many smaller ships that would work here. It would be nice if they would opt in. I'm always sad to see a ship leave, but HAL doesn't impress me much (as a ship junkie). I do wish Carnival would add Key West into some of the Paradise itineraries, or even do a Key West/Grand Turk 5 or 7 day. Something to spice things up a bit!

Took me a while to figure out the AIDA itineraries. I like the Grand Turk option instead of Belize and Roatan. I didn't see anything there I need to see again. Maybe if those 2 were dropped the itinerary could include Grand Turk and Labadee. Key West always a nice option.

Yes, EXACTLY like a lucky fin, Captain!

Haiti wouldn't be a bad idea. Or even La Romana, DR. I think RCL is the only line that stops in Labadee, no? Anyway, I'd book it if they changed things up! Oh, what am I saying- I'll probably book it even if it doesn't change!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by amber381

Yes, EXACTLY like a lucky fin, Captain!

Haiti wouldn't be a bad idea. Or even La Romana, DR. I think RCL is the only line that stops in Labadee, no? Anyway, I'd book it if they changed things up! Oh, what am I saying- I'll probably book it even if it doesn't change!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Labadee is a resort owned by RCI, same as the private islands in the Bahamas that several lines own. Labadee just isn't an island, but a fenced in resort area.

an alternate port beyond the Skyway
That's the ideal way to deal with the problem. The proposed port in Pinellas would not only bring in the bigger ships, but it would also provide an ideal stop for ships out of Galveston, New Orleans, etc. There's just not much to do in downtown Tampa. The Channelside Shops and the Aquarium are about it. Building a new port over in Tierra Verde would provide close access the beach at Pass-A-Grille, Ft. De Soto, St. Pete Beach, John's Pass, etc.

It would also eliminate the problem of the random days where the ships can't come into the bay due to the fog in addition to reducing travel time by about 3 hours in each direction.

Whether or not it gets built, who knows? Instead of working together, the two sides of the bay have a history of fighting over everything. I'm sure the city of Tampa would fight a Pinellas port kicking and screaming.

That's the ideal way to deal with the problem. The proposed port in Pinellas would not only bring in the bigger ships, but it would also provide an ideal stop for ships out of Galveston, New Orleans, etc. There's just not much to do in downtown Tampa. The Channelside Shops and the Aquarium are about it. Building a new port over in Tierra Verde would provide close access the beach at Pass-A-Grille, Ft. De Soto, St. Pete Beach, John's Pass, etc.

It would also eliminate the problem of the random days where the ships can't come into the bay due to the fog in addition to reducing travel time by about 3 hours in each direction.

Whether or not it gets built, who knows? Instead of working together, the two sides of the bay have a history of fighting over everything. I'm sure the city of Tampa would fight a Pinellas port kicking and screaming.

A "Port of Pinellas" would be great however it just seems a bit far from "the" major airport (TPA) and of course just where to build it is yet another issue altogether.

A "Port of Pinellas" would be great however it just seems a bit far from "the" major airport (TPA)
A little bit. It's roughly 30 minutes from the Tampa Airport to Tierra Verde via the Bayway. It'll take a little longer during rush hour, but it's still much closer than:

Orlando International Airport >> Port Canaveral

Houston Intercontinental Airport >> Port Of Galveston

Los Angeles International >> Port Of Long Beach

BWI Airport >> Baltimore Cruise Port

and of course just where to build it is yet another issue altogether.
I thought they had a location picked out in Tierra Verde. I remember reading the article in the Times, but that's been several months ago. Perhaps it was just a general location. Edited by jackinbox

That sounds great! Unfortunately, you are right about Tampa

Fighting it tooth & nail. I have a feeling that IF it ever happens it will not be anytime soon.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

According to Carnival when I called them, and their site, the only ship that will remain in Tampa is Paradise after Pride goes back to Baltimore March 15 2015. Sad day in Tampa Bay. Took my 1st modern day cruise on Legend in April 2010 and had a fantastic time. Have gotten used to having Legend here. Nice medium sized ship with the awesome Carnival hospitality. Eventhough I hear not so complementary things about Fantasy class, I am hoping to take Paradise sometime later this year. Will be a solo cruise, as none of my friends are wanting to take that ship. They do have some nice deals sometimes for solo cruisers.

Hi Jay, just a tip if you are going on the Paradise later in the year. If you like a good Cover Band you will get "Music Boardwalk". They will be there October - February so far.... They are great. Have a great cruise.....

Would be great to have a port over here in Pinellas. Yes, a much better location with so much more to do than downtown Tampa. Let's hope this happens and sooner than later. I see a lot of red tape in between now and then if it ever becomes a reality, and like you mentioned, Tampa would would fight this kicking and screaming. I like the port of Tampa as it is really handy for me, but like all you said Pinellas has a lot of advantages. How soon will it be before Tampa loses more ships? Seems like 2014 is the peak and then the cruise ship visits/cruise traffic will begin to diminish.

Hi Jay, just a tip if you are going on the Paradise later in the year. If you like a good Cover Band you will get "Music Boardwalk". They will be there October - February so far.... They are great. Have a great cruise.....

Mary, Thanks so much for the tip. I appreciate. So October through February. That may be possible and will keep that in mind. Thanks again.

Would be great to have a port over here in Pinellas... I like the port of Tampa as it is really handy for me, but like all you said Pinellas has a lot of advantages...

They could build a new port in Kenneth City( :rolleyes: ) for all I care just as long as we are able to receive any and all Carnival ships in the fleet.

They could build a new port in Kenneth City( :rolleyes: ) for all I care just as long as we are able to receive any and all Carnival ships in the fleet.

LOL...Kenneth City could never have a cruise port. All the captains would get tickets for cruising too fast. ;)

There's no place down there to put a port. The waterways are all protected and all of the undeveloped land is preserve. We're stuck with the port of Tampa and a diminishing selection of ships that will sail from there unless and until the Sunshine Skyway is replaced.