Dog Sled Tour - No Helicopter / Ketchikan for Kids

hunterjackson

Hello everyone!

We will be returning at Alaska in sept 2015 with our kids and taking the in-laws along as well.

Since we will have the kids, wondering if there was a good sled dog tour that does not involve Helicopters...hopefully in Juneau.

We will also be in Ketchikan. My FIL and I will be fishing, but my wife/MIL and DS DD have nothing planned. Any recommendations for them (DS - 4 , DD -2).

Any help is appreciated!

I can't help you with the dog sled info ( although I'm interested in hearing the answer too) but in Ketchikan we're planning to do the Great Alaskan Lumber Jack show with the kids. I hear it's good cheesy fun which is right up their alley. ;)

Hi! Our daughter is really eager to do a sled dog excursion (and hold the puppies!) as well. We were able to book a visit with Gold Rush Sled Dogs in Juneau for our trip this July. It has excellent ratings and they have been great to work with --even though we are only in town from 7 am-12:30 pm, they will pick us up at the pier and get us the full excursion.

Have fun planning!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi! Our daughter is really eager to do a sled dog excursion (and hold the puppies!) as well. We were able to book a visit with Gold Rush Sled Dogs in Juneau for our trip this July. It has excellent ratings and they have been great to work with --even though we are only in town from 7 am-12:30 pm, they will pick us up at the pier and get us the full excursion.

Have fun planning!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you! I saw them online and knew nothing about them! Thanks for the heads up!

Well....Gold Rush is closed in September....so that one is out. Any other recommendations on a non snow/helicopter dog sled tour?

The problem with going mid/late Sept is some dog sled camps do close down.

You should be able to go to Caribou Crossing in the Yukon, simple drive, that would be your cheapest option as well, compared to any ship tours. You do need to allow 5 hours for just the drive.

Juneau, Skagway and Carcross all have short dog sled rides...Usually the ships offer a combined barbecue lunch, see the Carcross dessert and and do the Carcross cart rides. Muchelle Phillips is the head of that operation, and she has great dogs, and is a wonderful musher, as is her husband.....While the dog sled ride is short, the play with the puppies is much longer....Michelle has completed the Iditarod several times, as well as the Yukon Quest and is always in the top of the pack....

I would recommend the Bering Sea excursion with 56degreesnorth.com. Family owned and operated and the nicest, knowledgeable, friendly, funniest people ever. Were were there in early May and loved the trip. We not only saw and held crabs, shrimp and other creatures, including a 30 lb octypus, we saw 40+ eagles at one time. Although we didn't see any, they do sometimes see whales. We loved this!

And, don't think this is an ugly dirty crab boat, it is well designed for families with covered seating with heaters above you, big rain jackets you can borrow, coffee and nicely decorated, warm bathrooms! We had a great, comfortable time!

Edited by Cindy 800