Tobacco Bay Beach? How is it and how do I get there/find it?

JandKMom

Back from June 22nd sailing. If you want to go to a beach near St. George then I suggest Ste. Catherine Beach which is near Achilles beach. either side of Fort Catherine. It is a quiet almost private beach. Calmer waters than Horseshoe which we also visited. It's not quite so beautiful as Horseshoe but good for snorkeling and shell collecting. We spent a very enjoyable afternoon there. Skip the Beach House at Blackbeard's service was rather long for small servings of average quality. (Beer was nice and cold!) There is a small beach side stand on the Achilles side of Fort St. Catherine, that might be faster or eat in St. George before you head to the beach. I suggest a taxi rather than walk, $10 including a tip. We did eat at Blackbeard's the good side of that is when we asked them to call us a cab to bring us back they offered us use of their shuttle service ( a reg. car) instead at no charge. (we tipped.)

• 2 weeks later...
Is the beach far from the road, I know at Horshoe I have to have a taxi to take my mom down to the beach... Is it like that here too..She can walk just not long distances and sloooooowly...

Hi I am the OP of the original post (got back a couple of weeks ago from this trip). The walk is much farther than Horseshoe Bay. Horseshoe Bay is just a long walk down the hill from the main road. This is actually a walk down a country road from the town, I would estimate it was about a half a mile. Definitely only for the physically fit. Your mom will need to take the shuttle.

Is the beach far from the road, I know at Horshoe I have to have a taxi to take my mom down to the beach... Is it like that here too..She can walk just not long distances and sloooooowly...

St. Catherine's is a long walk on another road from the road that Tobacco is on. There are no facilities at St.Catherine's except a porta potty. I would not take your mom there. If you are asking about Tobacco. Just take a taxi. It's cheap because the distance is close.

Edited by Charles4515
h

Take a taxi,

A good part of the road is uphill and not for the ones with mobility issues.

Have fun !

Do you think 2 kids (5 & 4 yrs old) can do this walk?

It's very walkable once you get off the ferry. We asked for directions at the visitor's center. I just posted a photo review (from my cruise 2 weeks ago) with pictures along the walk. See link in my signature below for details.

Do you think 2 kids (5 & 4 yrs old) can do this walk?

I agree with JanKMom.

Might be a bit too long a walk for that age. I think they run a shuttle. Ask at the pier.

Someone posted that there is no longer a shuttle and only taxis available. Since the fare for the shuttle had gone up, it ended up being the same as a taxi or even cheaper if you shared with someone.

Supposedly according to Byway Tours :

The shuttle service to and from Fort St. Catherine is back !

And Patrick Paley is behind the wheel ! Not only will he offer a safe and comfortable ride... but you'll at least come out with one bad joke for your files.... and some great info on St. Georges.

You can purchase your tickets at the Visitors' Service Info on the square.

Supposedly according to Byway Tours :

The shuttle service to and from Fort St. Catherine is back !

And Patrick Paley is behind the wheel ! Not only will he offer a safe and comfortable ride... but you'll at least come out with one bad joke for your files.... and some great info on St. Georges.

You can purchase your tickets at the Visitors' Service Info on the square.

As of last Monday, the Visitor Info Desk said there was no shuttle to Tobacco Bay. I'd be surprised that they didn't suggest the St Catherine's tickets if the van was in place. Who knows...

As of last Monday, the Visitor Info Desk said there was no shuttle to Tobacco Bay. I'd be surprised that they didn't suggest the St Catherine's tickets if the van was in place. Who knows...

Maybe it's for Fort St. Catherine and nowhere in between.

Per Byways Tours:

$6.00 per person..... they are working on different routes as well. Once they have a carved in stone schedule, I'll share it.

Thanks for the info !!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Maybe it's for Fort St. Catherine and nowhere in between.

Perhaps. Actually I did mean the Fort, but that you would think they would mention the shuttle could drop you not far from Tobacco Bay. The walk to Tobacco Bay from the Fort or the beach is a lot easier than from town! Will be curious to see if shuttle service is restored on a regular basis.

Hi.

I am going to Bermuda in two weeks and docking at the Dockyard.

My group just told me last night they want to do a different beach this year, other than Horseshoe Bay Beach! We have never taken the ferry so thinking going to Tobacco Bay Beach. We need umbrellas, chair, food/drink amenities. We will not be walking since my mom will be with us.

Can someone please explain exactly to me how to get there once I walk through the Visitor Center? I am guessing that is where we purchase the ferry tickets? We would rather take a cab than a bus and thought I should let you know for when giving me the directions.

Approximately how much is the ferry per person and the taxi ride once off the ferry to Tobacco Bay Beach.

Thank you very much! I greatly appreciate it.

You take a ferry to St. George (check the schedule, there are only a few a day). I don't recall the price - you buy tickets right at the ticket booth at the Dockyard. You would need a cab from St. George (you said your mother would not be up for the walk). I have to say, it was a pretty beach, but cannot compare at all to Horseshoe Bay and it is very, very small. It was crowded with other people from the cruises and there was loud music from the beach bar. It was good for snorkeling. That's about it. They have chairs and umbrellas for rent there. If I hadn't been going to St. George anyway I would have skipped it. If you want a great beach experience, why not try Elbow Beach? I hear Warwick Bay is nice too.

Edited by JandKMom

Thank you so much. I also read now they rent water toys etc. Can I get chairs, umbrella and food/drink at Warwick? I didnt think so but will look there if I can. Also Elbow Beach doesnt rent either do they? Thank you!

Thank you so much. I also read now they rent water toys etc. Can I get chairs, umbrella and food/drink at Warwick? I didnt think so but will look there if I can. Also Elbow Beach doesnt rent either do they? Thank you!

I cannot comment on those beaches because I haven't been there. If you don't mind spending some money, I recommend the Day Pass at the Coco Reef Resort. It is $59 a person and includes lunch, a glass of wine or beer and use of the pool and beach for the day. Children under 11 are free and you can buy them lunch off a kids menu. We did this and it was truly the highlight of our trip! The beach, just down from Elbow beach, was spectacular, and though not as fabulous as. Horseshoe, you will get no crowds and can relax on a lounge chair on the beach or at the oceanfront pool. The lunch was also wonderful. They give you a limited Day Pass menu without prices, but I looked at the regular menu and figured that what I had would have been about $40 so the $59 for the day was a bargain! You can take a cab from the Dockyard for about $40 each way. We actually took the bus, which worked out fine, though it was a very long walk down ( and up again) from the main road. Go to Cocoreefbermuda.com, go to Special Offers and click on the link under the photo of the yellow beach umbrella! You reserve by email and pay when you get there, so if you change your mind you lose nothing!

Thank you. There will be 6 of us and was thinking if Coco. Was it clean and pretty? Ill have 2-20 year old girls and my ds is 16 along with my mom so all adults and $350+ but this may be our best bet. So, from the Dockyard I do not need to take the ferry? I can take a taxi or minivan, etc?

Ill see tomorrow if I can still get in since Im leaving in 2 weeks. Id get up now but my back went out yesterday and I can hardly stand and walk and when I do its not pretty, hurts and Im hunched over. Hope this is gone by end of the week.

Anyway, sorry. Off track. I soooo appreciate your detailed response. I really do. If there is room, we will go and thanks to your response. Thanks! Ill report back tomorrow.

Thank you. There will be 6 of us and was thinking if Coco. Was it clean and pretty? Ill have 2-20 year old girls and my ds is 16 along with my mom so all adults and $350+ but this may be our best bet. So, from the Dockyard I do not need to take the ferry? I can take a taxi or minivan, etc?

Ill see tomorrow if I can still get in since Im leaving in 2 weeks. Id get up now but my back went out yesterday and I can hardly stand and walk and when I do its not pretty, hurts and Im hunched over. Hope this is gone by end of the week.

Anyway, sorry. Off track. I soooo appreciate your detailed response. I really do. If there is room, we will go and thanks to your response. Thanks! Ill report back tomorrow.

Yes it was gorgeous! A bit of seaweed and a dead jellyfish on the beach, but otherwise clean. I would say it is a 4 star resort, not 5 Star, but absolutely lovely.

JandK Mom

Thank you for the website. I didnt wait. My folder is by my bed since I called to confirm my pontoon boat at Summerset and looked at the date I wanted (August 14) and just emailed them.

Thank you again!

Yes it was gorgeous! A bit of seaweed and a dead jellyfish on the beach, but otherwise clean. I would say it is a 4 star resort, not 5 Star, but absolutely lovely.

Perfect!

Thank you again! Ill report back when I hear from them. Any pictures? Id love to see them!

Thank you so much!

[/img]

Perfect!

Thank you again! Ill report back when I hear from them. Any pictures? Id love to see them!

Thank you so much!

Here are a couple:

Hope this works

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=640969889332936&l=35b1acb802

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=640981669331758&l=fade68fbab

Edited by JandKMom
Photo didn't upload