Pre-Tipping Concierge/Butler

I prefer the pre-tip route, usually I make a few simple requests at the beginning of the cruise (like a fan for the room to help me sleep) and then I'll tip and say "Thank you very much! Here is a little tip to get started and I'll do more at the end of the cruise if everything goes great! I really look forward to this being a great cruise!".

I think it helps. And lets face it, money is a strong motivator. There are plenty of bad tippers out there. I imagine I am an above average tipper, so I think letting them know this ahead of time is good for both them and me. I will get above average service from them and in exchange they get an above average tip. Everyone wins!

I have witnessed how much harder they work for you after you give them a nice tip. It is obvious. So really I don't see any downside.

Not that your story is the same, but it reminded me of my first cruise on a certain luxury cruise line. I was in the buffet and there was this man who kept giving out tips with a slap on the back to the servers and in a loud voice, said "there is more where this came from, if you treat me better than everyone else". The funny thing is, that a server close to me, when this happend to him, said "what an *******". I asked him why he was upset and he said that he didn't understand why someone would feel that they would have to buy good service on this cruise line, we give all our passengers the best service there is.

We have had this conversation with many many butlers and quite a few Concierge that we are friendly with, they prefer their tips at the end the cruise. All of the Butlers we know have gone through intense training for the postion they hold. The protocol is to tip at the end of the cruise they are very proud of what they do and appreciate the acknowledgement at the end of your trip . If you rented a villa somewhere for a vacation would you tip the staff on a daily basis? Have you ever tipped a waiter at the beginning of a meal?

I don’t think there is a customary amount, it is at the discretion of the passenger. My starting point is $10 per day per person for the Butler and $5 per day per person for the Concierge. And then add or subtrack from that amount for great service or bad service.

I am going to sailing in a couple weeks. We will be in our first suite at sea. That tip amount you mentioned, is that per stateroom or per person in the stateroom?

I am going to sailing in a couple weeks. We will be in our first suite at sea. That tip amount you mentioned, is that per stateroom or per person in the stateroom?

Per person in the stateroom, but keep in mind that is why I do and what you wish to do might be more or less.

Per person in the stateroom, but keep in mind that is why I do and what you wish to do might be more or less.

I just re-read your post and saw the per-person in the stateroom.

The wife and I never had a butler, not ever having one we don't even know what to expect from him/her. We will probable under utilize them. I would like to have them do butler type things for us, just so he/she doesn't feel they may be TIP Stiffed. Anyone have any suggestions?

We do intend on having a little get together with our family in our stateroom and have a cheese and or fruit platter with a pitcher of cold tea. I guess from reading on this here CC that they can help us setting that up.

I just re-read your post and saw the per-person in the stateroom.

The wife and I never had a butler, not ever having one we don't even know what to expect from him/her. We will probable under utilize them. I would like to have them do butler type things for us, just so he/she doesn't feel they may be TIP Stiffed. Anyone have any suggestions?

We do intend on having a little get together with our family in our stateroom and have a cheese and or fruit platter with a pitcher of cold tea. I guess from reading on this here CC that they can help us setting that up.

I like a pitcher of ice water daily and fresh fruit. You can also order snacks, like cookies, candies, etc. If you don't want the regular canapés, then tell the Butler what you would like instead. He can set up your get together. He will also bring you any room service orders.

I also under utilize the Butler, but in the end I think it was a Godsend to him, since some really do use them for everything. Just remember, if there is something you would like, ask and if it can be done, it will be done.

Not that your story is the same, but it reminded me of my first cruise on a certain luxury cruise line. I was in the buffet and there was this man who kept giving out tips with a slap on the back to the servers and in a loud voice, said "there is more where this came from, if you treat me better than everyone else". The funny thing is, that a server close to me, when this happend to him, said "what an *******". I asked him why he was upset and he said that he didn't understand why someone would feel that they would have to buy good service on this cruise line, we give all our passengers the best service there is.

Whenever I read these threads about pre tipping I remember the character Rodney Dangerfield played in Caddyshack.