Royal charters......

With all of the latest Freedom cancellations....is this the normal?

It kind of sounds like RCI is catering to the ultra rich and leaving the rest of us in the dust.

I have already had to re-book once and we are really afraid that we will lose out...:mad:

The charter cruises are not really for the "ultra rich".

They just are marketed for a particular interest group.

They do cost more but those people are willing to pay to do the things they enjoy.

Many of the groups like the nudest & swingers generally spend much more $$$ on alcohol & gambling than the typical Diamond cruiser.

Yea....large groups of specialty types.

Richer than thou with lots of money, reserving the entire ship....and then selling out the rooms at double the price. Sounds like the rich to me.....at least some of them. I'm afraid this will become the norm....the 1% vs middle to lower class.

Freedom - All of January 2015, all 5 cruises cancelled.....Jan 25 chartered. May 3, 2015....chartered.

Navigator - Jan 17 cancelled....no idea why.

Oasis - All of January 2016, all 5 cruises cancelled.

What can I say.....the more talk about cancellations, the more I get worried about mine. I book really early to get the rooms that we want.

I'm a worry wart...:eek:

OP -- Never thought I'd hear myself say this, but MatJ2000 is right, on this one. Has nothing to do with the 'ultra rich' -- just groups who have enough $$ and sheer numbers to charter an entire ship. Personally, I would prefer to lose my cruise to a charter, than have that cruise taken over by a large group, that I had no idea would be onboard. And, as another poster pointed out, a cruise can go "poof" for other reasons -- like an unexpected dry dock. Rather than worrying, it's always better to just have a back-up plan. :cool:

Edited by wwcruisers

Yea....large groups of specialty types.

Richer than thou with lots of money, reserving the entire ship....and then selling out the rooms at double the price. Sounds like the rich to me.....at least some of them. I'm afraid this will become the norm....the 1% vs middle to lower class.

Freedom - All of January 2015, all 5 cruises cancelled.....Jan 25 chartered. May 3, 2015....chartered.

Navigator - Jan 17 cancelled....no idea why.

Oasis - All of January 2016, all 5 cruises cancelled.

What can I say.....the more talk about cancellations, the more I get worried about mine. I book really early to get the rooms that we want.

I'm a worry wart...:eek:

I'm not sure that I understand your comment on Oasis cancellations for Jan 2016. All Jan 2016 dates are available for booking. I'm interested because we are booked on the Jan 2 sailing. I just made the reservation a couple of weeks ago.

I'm not sure that I understand your comment on Oasis cancellations for Jan 2016. All Jan 2016 dates are available for booking. I'm interested because we are booked on the Jan 2 sailing. I just made the reservation a couple of weeks ago.

Yesterday.....before the website went down for maintenance, I was looking for that "back up" plan if needed and I checked Oasis.

It showed N/A on all Jan 2016 cruises on Oasis.

OP -- Never thought I'd hear myself say this, but MatJ2000 is right, on this one. Has nothing to do with the 'ultra rich' -- just groups who have enough $$ and sheer numbers to charter an entire ship.

I would think if groups have enough $$ to charter the whole ship.....they are rich.

Yesterday.....before the website went down for maintenance, I was looking for that "back up" plan if needed and I checked Oasis.

It showed N/A on all Jan 2016 cruises on Oasis.

The January dates for Oasis are currently available for booking

Edited by dz9yvr

My point here is....

Should it be fair for the cruise line to allow us to book and then take it away because the rich...or "a group".... decide to charter it?

Eventually, people are going to get fed up with Royal Caribbean doing this and messing with their plans....

They are catering to the rich.....

My point here is....

Should it be fair for the cruise line to allow us to book and then take it away because the rich...or "a group".... decide to charter it?

Eventually, people are going to get fed up with Royal Caribbean doing this and messing with their plans....

Well, FYI -- it isn't just Royal. I think most cruise lines do this, too. I know that Celebrity does. Don't know about "fair" -- just know that it's "business".

My point here is....

The are not catering to the rich - they will charter their ships to special interest groups because it a good business decision. They don't have to advertise or book those cruises. The amount paid by those who book into the special interest groups aren't really a lot higher than anyone else. There just aren't any sell-off close in.

No, no one will get fed up - they will just look at different dates and see what the companies offers for changing dates.

Believe me, the "ultra rich" are not sailing Royal Caribbean. Middle class, people with some wealth, surely. But the Ultra Rich are chartering private vessels, not going on group cruises for entertainers.

Anyways, all publicy traded companies do this. They are beholden to their shareholders and if they have a business opportunity to generate more revenue management would be remiss if they did not do so. It does kind of suck to have plans shattered, but that's the deal.

I do think it's a bit crap to allow charters after anyone has booked. They should book charter groups further out and not alter to a charter once it has been opened for bookings.

Money talks. The charter group is also required to pay for the consideration to cancelled guests, so Royal is not even out that money.

I do think it's a bit crap to allow charters after anyone has booked. They should book charter groups further out and not alter to a charter once it has been opened for bookings.

Thank you....that is exactly what I mean.

I would argue with this, but I was once taught to never argue with stupid, they always win because they have had so much practice at it!!!

Coming from the travel industry, I worked many cruise ship charters. Shriners, auto dealer sale reps, association members, religious groups.

FAR, far from the dreaded evil, vile 1%.

I know how hard it can be to schedule vacation time and get what is the perfect cabin for you and in general "get all your ducks in a row". I get your frustration. That being said, you might not be comfortable with the "group" that would fill up the rest of the cabins. As a newly minted senior, a group of red hat ladies wouldn't bother me too much, but might make my husband crazy (and definitely younger cruisers too). I was on a cruise once with a motorcycle group. Most were "well behaved" per say, but if I had a boat load, with several who where not, I wouldn't be happy. I don't think anyone from a swingers group would "hit" on me at my age (I'd be flattered if they did), but if they were getting carried away in the hot tubs or other public places, I'd be uncomfortable. Better yet, if you enjoy an occasional drink, what if it was an AA cruise where members paid extra to have no booze onboard all week, that might mean no wine at dinner for you. One solution might be to find out who the group is and see if you can join them on that cruise.

Being from the Chicago area, we looked into a cruise at the beginning of spring break that turned out to be a charter for another football team (Steelers, I think). My husband definitely wouldn't have been happy on that cruise. We found a similar one on another ship. Google ship name and date and you'll probably find out who has the charter.;)

Why the resentment of those who have more money than you? There is always someone with more than you and always those with MUCH less. I'm sure that some resent YOU for being able to cruise. To much of the world you and I are "" super rich".

Why the resentment of those who have more money than you? There is always someone with more than you and always those with MUCH less. I'm sure that some resent YOU for being able to cruise. To much of the world you and I are "" super rich".

Your comment is just not fair.

I commented because of the fear of losing the booking. The room I want. The airfare that needs to be changed. The hotels that need to be changed. Sometimes transportation to and from the hotels and ports. AND.... the fact that most people can't just change their vacation time any time they want.

My comments are because of the frustration of RCI allowing bookings and then taking them away when the almighty $$ gets involved.

It is not resentment....it is frustration.....

I was looking for cruise critic posters who are good at talking me down when I'm not sure of what is happening.....not being "put down" for my comments.

Edited by aloha43

I commented because of the fear of losing the booking. The room I want. The airfare that needs to be changed. The hotels that need to be changed. Sometimes transportation to and from the hotels and ports. AND.... the fact that most people can't just change their vacation time any time they want.

My comments are because of the frustration of RCI allowing bookings and then taking them away when the almighty $$ gets involved.

I was looking for cruise critic posters who are good at talking me down when I'm not sure of what is happening.....not being "put down" for my comments.

Didn't think I I was "putting you down". I just know that to those who live in a refrigerator box, we who have a refrigerator ARE the " super rich ".

It sucks for the people that lose their bookings but they are compensated for the inconvenience with future discounts and OBC. Is it still a bummer? Sure but i don't think it's exactly a catastrophe. Charters are usually done far enough in advance it's unlikely airfare would be affected in most cases.

And the only alternative would be to not do charters which would be a very bad financial decision for the company.

BTW 99% of the world would find it hilarious to think that ANYONE going on a cruise isn't rich.