BW Thunderbird Beach Hotel Sunny Isles, FL

dchip

Anyone have any experience with this hotel?? I posted on the pre/post cruise board and didn't get any response, so I am trying here.

I know it is an old hotel but it looks like it has a great beach and that is really what we want...3 days on the beach before our cruise in May 06.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I love reading this board. It is extremely helpful.

It's old and in an area where it's one of the last of the old 1950's motels. There used to be many like it, but they're all gone now, replaced with new highrise condos and hotels. Personally I'd pass on the Thunderbird, it's quite old and tired.

If you want to stay in that area (which is very nice) I would recommend the following. Same beach, MUCH nicer hotels...

Trump Sonesta Beach... http://www.sonesta.com/SunnyIsles/

Le Meridian... http://www.lemeridien.com/usa/miami/hotel_us1840.shtml

DoubleTree Ocean Point... http://www.oceanpointresort.com/

Thanks for your help, both Trump Sonesta and LeMeridien are booked for the 4 days we are looking for......as are many of the Ft Lauderdale hotels mentioned so often in these posts. There seems to be a block from 4/22 through 5/9/06 where there are no available rooms.

I will keep looking and trying to upgrade the hotel. Really wanted LagoMar but it is booked solid. We can deal with tired if it's clean.

We are sailing on the Coral Princess May 3 for our 40th anniversary. Looking forward to it big time after reading such wonderful reviews. We sailed the Regal from SF to NYC last Aug/Sept and it was the best cruise ever. Looking forward to the trip in reverse.

There's a brand new Marriott on Hollywood Beach you may try if that's a difficult time period to find anything. I'd check those dates myself before sending this, but their reservations site seems to be down at the moment. Anyway, you might try later, it just opened a little over a month ago so many people may not know about it yet... http://www.hollywoodbeachmarriott.com/

Happy Anniversary, hope you have a wonderful cruise! Coral Princess is beautiful! :)

I agree with Trent, I'd pass on it and keep looking. Especially since this an anniversary trip. At one time, it was probably a very nice hotel, but it's way past it's prime unless they've done a major renovation since we were there.

We stayed at this hotel for two nights around 4 years ago. The pictures we saw on the internet looked nice, but the hotel is not as nice in person. The pool and beach were definitely the pluses. Our room was in a section of the hotel that I think used to be a parking garage. The ceilings were very low in the hall and I believe the room too. The carpet and furnishings were in desperate need of replacing. I know you are OK with "tired", but I don't think "clean" is an adjective I'd use with this hotel. Also, we were afraid to ride in the elevator. You never knew where or if it it would go. This is one of those hotels that every once in a while comes up in conversation and we look back and laugh.

Good luck with your accommodations and enjoy your cruise.

Definitely do not stay at the Thunderbird. We were there in February 2005 after our cruise on the Caribbean Princess. The rooms, pool area and beach are OLD and poorly cared for. Paint peeling, smelly and the elevators were scary! I do recall that there was a sign saying that the hotel had been sold so my feeling was that they were simply waiting to tear it down.

We went to an amazing mall between Fort Lauderdale and Sunny Isles and really wish now we had stayed at one of the hotels near there and daytripped to the beach. Live and learn!

Deb

The Sea and Sky Show hits during the first weekend in May on Ft. Lauderdale Beach. That may be why you're not seeing any hotel availability. Check the calendar on Ft. Lauderdale's tourism site (sunny.org) for the exact dates.

We were looking to head down to Ft. Lauderdale last year during the first week of May. If I remember correctly, most of the beachfront hotels didn't release any inventory until the fall. Then rooms were listed at double the "rack rate". We ended up shifting our trip by a week to avoid the festivities.

Good luck finding a room and check out what festivities will be going on while you're there.

Thanks to all of you!! We are locked into the dates because the Coral sails on May 3. I will keep trying the different hotels suggested and maybe a cancellation will pop up. We book rooms in Yosemite all the time at the last minute by just calling every day:)

I have heard what I needed to know, scary elevators and smelly. YUCK:eek:

Thanks again, Denise

Archived