vifp question

crznnrsbty

I rarely make it to the party, but we have cruised with newbies the last two cruises, and we simply told them that we would be at a members party, for a few minutes and we would catch up with them at dinner, we never presumed that we would be taking them, nor did we invite them, We were not joined at the hip for the cruise, and they didn't invite us to go with them to the bars to go dancing at night either.

In fact being a non drinker, getting an NA fruit punch takes forever, and the last time we went the lead female singer from the entertainment group was singing, and it was awful! We sat, we ate some questionable ou d'heurves , grinned and beared it, for about 20 minutes and left. Dont even know if we will go to the next one.

It's a party, and I dont really expect Carnival to say no to bringing your spouse or cabin mate.

For most people (in my opinion) it's only about the free drinks. If someone is not a drinker and doesn't really care about meeting the senior crew members up close, it probably won't matter to them.

At my last one, there was a young man (at my age, they are all young) who literally INHALED the drinks before a server could get 3 feet away!!! I never saw anyone get so soused so fast as he inhaled drink after drink. It was pathetic as he staggered out of the room.

They do collect the invitations at the door but they did not exclude the person who accompanied me nor the person who accompanied a friend I made on the cruise. My new friend and I were both platinum but cruise line staff and officers didn't say a word when we each brought a guest. And there was no hiding or sneaking going on. This was not in the distant past. This was on my cruise on May 4th! And you can be judgmental if you wish but the fact is, the invitation I received did not tell me to bring a guest but it didn't tell me not to either. When I receive a party or dinner invitation at home (unless it's from a guy that wants a date with me or unless it specifically states do not bring a guest) I am normally expected to bring a guest. Indeed if one of my colleagues invited me to his home for dinner, he and his wife would feel very uncomfortable if I, a female colleague, came to dinner without a date/spouse. Indeed it is polite to ask if you may bring a guest if it doesn't specifically invite the guest on the invitation so that is exactly what I did and they said no problem!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

I have to agree with you whole heartedly! There is nothing wrong with taking a guest. I took a first time cruiser with me before and there was no problem. I will be with another first time cruiser in June on the Carnival Breeze and plan on her going with me! I don't think they expect a VIFP member to leave their spouse or significant other that you share a cabin with to stay behind. They have never questioned me about that and doubt they ever will. That's not cheating or "smuggling" as some have called it in this post. It's simply taking a guest to a party you were invited to. Now, taking all your friends would be another story and totally wrong. The peeps at the door will prevent that from happening, I assure you!

How incredibly rude is it to invite a person to a party without inviting their spouse. Nonetheless if you don't choose to bring a guest to the party that's your decision. You haven't earned the right to make my decisions for me nor to decide the morality of anyone's decisions, including mine.

By your own stated philosophy, since you didn't say I couldn't comment, I am entitled.

I rarely make it to the party, but we have cruised with newbies the last two cruises, and we simply told them that we would be at a members party, for a few minutes and we would catch up with them at dinner, we never presumed that we would be taking them, nor did we invite them, We were not joined at the hip for the cruise, and they didn't invite us to go with them to the bars to go dancing at night either.

In fact being a non drinker, getting an NA fruit punch takes forever, and the last time we went the lead female singer from the entertainment group was singing, and it was awful! We sat, we ate some questionable ou d'heurves , grinned and beared it, for about 20 minutes and left. Dont even know if we will go to the next one.

It's a party, and I dont really expect Carnival to say no to bringing your spouse or cabin mate.

Yes, taking another couple that are first timers is wrong. But like you stated, taking your significant other or spouse has never been an issue for me. But if he or she is not on the cruise with you, then it's a no-go...

Not anymore.. each person gets an invitation that gets collected at the door.

Was this a recent change? Guess as DW and I both get invitations, both are Gold, I did not notice. Do remember that we cruised with newbies a few years ago and we each took one of them and it was allowed/authorized.

Was this a recent change? Guess as DW and I both get invitations, both are Gold, I did not notice. Do remember that we cruised with newbies a few years ago and we each took one of them and it was allowed/authorized.

I believe so. I don't think invitations in the past included guest s by name. My invitation clearly were intended for me only with nothing to suggest I could bring others. Non invitation holding guests were being turned away.

How incredibly rude is it to invite a person to a party without inviting their spouse. Nonetheless if you don't choose to bring a guest to the party that's your decision. You haven't earned the right to make my decisions for me nor to decide the morality of anyone's decisions, including mine.

Usually people do include the invited person's spouse, partner or gives an allowance for "and guest". If you receive an written invitation from someone you know and they know you have a significant other and that significant other is not included on the invitation, it is intentional. As the invitee, you either choose to attend as a single or decline.