Little French Key

tulsamomof2

Has anyone been to Little French Key in the last few months? We were planning to go there next week - but now a bit concerned, because I am reading some reviews that they now allow 300 tourists on the island due to a contract with Carnival.

Anyone been there with Carnival in port? How crowded was it? I have read reviews stating that it can be hard to find loungers! I need a shaded place to be - so this concerns me if it is overcrowded.

Also - how was the snorkeling? I am trying to decide between Maya Key and Little French Key. I was all gung-ho for LFK, but now I am concerned it will be a overcrowded, expensive visit.

Thanks!

We went to Maya key last week. We were one of 3 ships in port. Snorkeling at Maya Key was very crowded. The trail trough the coral has some narrow spots that only 2 can pass. DD got pushed up against coral by kid. While the snorkeling was ok, it did not meet all the glowing things I've heard. It was way too crowded.

We will not go back to Maya Key. If we go back to Roatan will likely do a private with snorkel option.

We too were in Maya Key last week, I was disappointed as well. The water wasn't that clear pretty water I was hoping for, the loungers were dirty and the service very minimal. There were some animals to see, but all in rather makeshift cages. The area is more dirt than sand, the snorkeling was Ok - definitely not great. It's one advantage is how close to our boat it was (RCI). Next time I would try LFK..or some other option.

Was at little French key 2 weeks ago.

First off I did not know it was a 30 minute drive from where RCL docks. Then it is a short boat trip over to the island. When we first got there it was corded with almost every chair taken. Soon after noon the Carnival excursion left and it was much nicer. Lunch was excellent. You get 2 drinks. The first we had was really weak so we then stuck with beer. The DH went on a snorkel boat which he said was good but he had to sit on the boat forever before they left. No one said a time or come back later he just waited.

The water was great and the little zoo too. It was a beautiful place but overall I think it was too expensive. Maybe part of that is the distance from the port. If you want more to drink you will have to pay more also. Maybe if it was all inclusive....

DW and SIL were there 3 weeks ago. Went from Mahogany Bay. Had a good time. Wasn't that crowded for them and they did stay long after the Carnival folks left. They enjoyed their time there overall. Their biggest disappointment was that the animals did not appear to be well cared for. And it was a hot day, LOL.

As a comparison, they've been to Victor Bodden's place twice and think he treats his animals well. Plus SIL had some real concerns several years ago when South Shore Canopy Zip line was just introducing a baby monkey. She said there was no water in the cage and we saw the guides giving the monkey beer.

We haven't been to Anthony's Key or Maya Key since the renos by Anthony's Key and it became a ship based excursion, so can't opine on the animals at either, but reviews do say they appear well cared for.