Drinking Age for Foreigners

brazilgirl

Huh? "Hale of gunfire?"

You look at the wrong person , the wrong way in the wrong place , or make a wrong remark, someone will put a cap in you.

It wasn't like that back in my day, at least where I used to hang out.

Now you don't know who you are dealing with or how crazy they are anymore.

It was a lot safer to be crazy back then too. What would have just gotten you a sock in the jaw back then , would get you taken down in a hale of gun fire today :(

Actually I'd worry more about GHB or date rape drug today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma-Hydroxybutyric_acid

My sister was slipped this during vacation, incapacitated and sexually assaulted.

My co-worker drank his GF's drink and was knocked out. Apparently the bartenders were in on it. He was luckier than my sister.

Now that's something we never had to deal with.

Brazilgirl- have a great vacation, I wish we'd have met up on last years Fjords,Highlands and Ireland cruise!

Actually I'd worry more about GHB or date rape drug today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma-Hydroxybutyric_acid

My sister was slipped this during vacation, incapacitated and sexually assaulted.

My co-worker drank his GF's drink and was knocked out. Apparently the bartenders were in on it. He was luckier than my sister.

Now that's something we never had to deal with.

Brazilgirl- have a great vacation, I wish we'd have met up on last years Fjords,Highlands and Ireland cruise!

That's out there too. sadly its a crazy world . 30 years being an EMT and a 9-1-1- dispatcher . I have pretty much seen and heard it all. It doesn't even make me flinch anymore .

I don't disagree... And, it simply makes since that younger folks with upward mobility and current earnings (today's dollars) vs. fixed retirement income spend more freely....

Yes, great answer Sam.Thanks for expanding- I get where you were coming from now.

Your comment about upward mobility vs fixed income is quite relevant to many discussions I have had lately and the Rockstar lifestyle in my job recently. Makes perfect sense. Insert headshake here for those Rockstars! :rolleyes:

There was a girl on our movie/music trivia team who was 19, from the states, and every time we won a bottle of champagne, she drank it. I'm not sure if there is a special notation on key cards for underage cruisers and I'm not sure who enforces the policy. Seemed pretty free and easy to me.

I would never recommend to do a cruise in the age between 18 and 21.

In many countries you are an adult - with full legal rights. You can buy a house, a car, have own children.

But when you go onboard of some ships, you need parents permission and need to be accompanied with a parent (not only for drinking!). You are not allowed to to some ships excursions withour your parents!

If you live alone for years, earn your own money and are married it seems very strange.

Thats a reason many European travelagencies do not recommend a cruise for honeymoon for younger couples.....! (I worked for that industry for years)

Wendy

I would never recommend to do a cruise in the age between 18 and 21.

In many countries you are an adult - with full legal rights. You can buy a house, a car, have own children.

But when you go onboard of some ships, you need parents permission and need to be accompanied with a parent (not only for drinking!). You are not allowed to to some ships excursions withour your parents!

If you live alone for years, earn your own money and are married it seems very strange.

Thats a reason many European travelagencies do not recommend a cruise for honeymoon for younger couples.....! (I worked for that industry for years)

Wendy

Yes , it could be awkward for young honeymooners for sure! In our case , as I mentioned in a previous post , we will be cruising to spend family time together and to see some beautiful landscapes and wildlife. We have several early excursions , so will be going to bed earlier. We ( even the young people ) are a pretty sedate group , looking forward to being together , talking , enjoying good food , meeting new friends.

But you are certainly right...when I was 20 I was 100% financially independent. I paid for my own college education , I had an apartment , furnished with my own earnings and I had a savings that I used for yearly travel ( not inherited , earned through my work) . It would have been very odd to say the least if I had tried to go on a cruise without a chaperone!

Sammygoose , the Fjords , Highlands and Ireland cruise was amazing , wasn't it!? Too bad we didn't hang out! Maybe on a future cruise! Hoping our Alaska cruise will be as lovely.