Anybody need to loose 100+ lbs

Hi everyone... need some suggestions and a good way to lose weight??? I liked the low carb thing, but got tired of all the same things. What is everyone doing and eating on their low carb diets? Thanks for your help. I need something that is going to work. Tired of this yo yo thing going on. I exercise 3 times a week and still doesn't help. Thanks everyone.

Hello Dee,

Happened on your post by accident. Hope your group has a great time in Hawaii. You might remember us from the San Juan Cruise on the AOS.

I have some experience w/ the low carb diet. I started it in Jan 2004 because my daughter's doctor recommended it to combat her pre-diabetic condition. I needed to lose a few lbs and it sounded like something I could do too. I started out weighing 195 (up about 7 lbs over my weight over the last 10 years). I ate a lot of salads, some chicken at night and a low carb breakfast bar in the morning. Worked out every morning (running on the treadmill, some lifting, etc) and lost about 30 lbs in three months. Along the way I dropped another 10 for a total of 40 lbs.

Now a year and 9 months later I have kept that weight off. Basically, I do allow myself a few carbs but really try and limit what I eat. We avoid pastas for the most part and won't have more than 1 slice of bread during a meal. We drink diet soda and when we do snack (not often) it's pork rinds, low carb ice cream or nuts. I still work out...maybe even harder than before (even though I don't really enjoy it). I think the key is not snacking and putting in the proper amount of excercise. Most folks that I see "work out" but don't really "work out"...that is to say really push themselves. As an example, I work out every day on every cruise that we take but we always note that the first day the fitness center is packed, the 2nd day maybe 50% of the first day's crowd and days 3 -7 there are only a handful of die hards.

Anyway, that's what worked for me. It's really just a combination of diet and lots of excercise. Good luck!!!

Kurt

Hi Kurt, yes I remember you... how have you been? Our group has sailed a few times since then and are scheduled to sail to Hawaii next month and to the caribbean in 2006. I will give the low carb another try. I just can't seem to find anything that continues to work. I always seem to stagnate and can't get it restarted again. I would be so happy to lose 30 pounds in a month and then some. Will keep you updated on my progress.

Dee,

Sailed w/ our entire family on the Caribbean Princess last June from Ft. Lauderdale. Our cruise group is doing the Sapphire Princess next in November from LA. I think next year we are doing the new Freedom of the Seas. Would love to hit Europe next summer but it really depends on where our daughter wants to attend college.

Anyway, tell the gang that Kurt said hello

I would like to lose 100+ before Sept 2006. I've been on 4 cruises and I've always had to wear "fat" clothes. I am not working at the moment and sitting home all day, I find myself snacking (sitting here looking at Oreo cookies now). If anyone has any suggestions or would like a buddy, please let me know.

Kat

Kat- I snack all the time too. It's been one thing that I haven't been able to break so I make it work for me instead of against me. I'm very fortunate in that I love veggies, fruits, and beans. I almost always have 2-3 kinds of veggie sticks, hummus, yogurt and that sort of thing in my fridge for snacking. I've managed to build up quite an addiction to raw pea pods and hummus this year. :rolleyes: Oh well, better than chocolate, which I used to eat by the ton. I can't eat nuts because they can block my ileostomy but I do keep a variety of nut butters like macadamia/cashew or roasted sunflower seed on hand.

The absolute, single hardest thing I did was cut out sugar/white flour/ corn etc. But , it has been the most productive. We had to cut out corn from our diet because my youngest DD is allergic to corn. It wasn't until we started looking for it in the food we were eating that we realized how much fillers and garbage are in our foods. It is very difficult to find processed foods that don't have high fructose corn syrup or corn starch in them. There's quite alot of research that the obesity and diabetis rates started skyrocketing when they started using corn fillers and especially corn syrup. All I know is that when DD was diagnosed and we started having to cook everything from scratch DH and I both noticed a big improvement in how we felt. Our energy level was much better and we lost weight without even trying. That's when I decided to cut out sugar and flour too.

As I said in an earlier post, everyone's body is different but I really think that cutting out processed food will help you. And honestly, it really doesn't take that much longer to cook. Also, if I know I'm going to have a really busy week I will cook on the weekends and then just reheat it during the week.

Good luck!

Tami

Kat - I agree, giving up snacking is one of the hardest things! And anything can trigger the urge to snack - a good day, a bad day, boredom, stress...the list goes on! I am probably in an easier situation than a lot of you in that I live on my own (no kids), so I just don't buy the things that will tempt me throughout the day/evening. I'm also not the type that can have just 1 cookie - the whole bag would be gone if I allowed myself to buy them!

You will find lots of buddies on this board - everyone is so supportive and helpful, it's wonderful.

Tami - I was very interested to read your post. I have cut out the sugar, but I never thought to look for the corn fillers. That is definitely something I am going to start looking for and trying to eliminate. Great tip!

Kat- I snack all the time too. It's been one thing that I haven't been able to break so I make it work for me instead of against me. I'm very fortunate in that I love veggies, fruits, and beans. I almost always have 2-3 kinds of veggie sticks, hummus, yogurt and that sort of thing in my fridge for snacking. I've managed to build up quite an addiction to raw pea pods and hummus this year. :rolleyes: Oh well, better than chocolate, which I used to eat by the ton. I can't eat nuts because they can block my ileostomy but I do keep a variety of nut butters like macadamia/cashew or roasted sunflower seed on hand.

The absolute, single hardest thing I did was cut out sugar/white flour/ corn etc. But , it has been the most productive. We had to cut out corn from our diet because my youngest DD is allergic to corn. It wasn't until we started looking for it in the food we were eating that we realized how much fillers and garbage are in our foods. It is very difficult to find processed foods that don't have high fructose corn syrup or corn starch in them. There's quite alot of research that the obesity and diabetis rates started skyrocketing when they started using corn fillers and especially corn syrup. All I know is that when DD was diagnosed and we started having to cook everything from scratch DH and I both noticed a big improvement in how we felt. Our energy level was much better and we lost weight without even trying. That's when I decided to cut out sugar and flour too.

As I said in an earlier post, everyone's body is different but I really think that cutting out processed food will help you. And honestly, it really doesn't take that much longer to cook. Also, if I know I'm going to have a really busy week I will cook on the weekends and then just reheat it during the week.

Good luck!

Tami

So you cut out the corn starch/sugars/corn syrups and that helped? What else do you look for when watching the labels?

So you cut out the corn starch/sugars/corn syrups and that helped? What else do you look for when watching the labels?

What I've found is that when I cut out anything that was instant "energy" I actually felt better, had more energy, and after a few days was less hungry and didn't crave sugary stuff all the time. Apparently all those spikes in blood sugar followed by a crash were really doing a number on me. It's why I was so tired and constantly hungry.

I try very hard not to eat anything that ends in "ose" like fructose, dextrose, glucose, and so on. ose is the chemical name for sugars. The only way I eat fructose is in fruit where there is alot of fiber to help guard against the insulin spike. We eat very little corn due to DD's allergies (corn starch, corn syrup, and especially high fructose corn syrup will do a number on your blood sugar, especially if you're insulin resistant already.) I do occasionally have fresh corn or cornbread made from stoneground corn but I'm not a real big fan of them. I also will use some wheat but only 100% whole wheat. My main thing I guess is to keep things as minimally processed as possible. It takes your body alot longer to pull out the glucose from whole corn or even stoneground corn meal than from highfructose corn syrup which is just instant sugar buzz. The longer it takes to absorb into the blood stream, the better your body will be able to deal with the excess glucose without having to send extra insulin into your blood. The excess insulin is what causes you to store fat.

There's a really good book called Protein Power LifePlan by Michael Eades and Mary Dan-Eades that explains it really well. I have a friend who was a bio-medical research scientest at Eli Lilly until she decided to stay home with her kids. She said that of all the books she's ever read Protein power and PPLP were among the best that she'd ever come across for talking about how the body metabolizes glucose and fat in a way that non-doctors could understand.

I don't follow a strictly low carb "diet" because there are some things that aren't included in that genre like sweet potatoes, beans, bananas that I think are good for me. (and I like them :rolleyes: )

Tami

Hi All,

It's that time again.....

I am up 1 lb. but I am not thinking about that, 'cause I walked to the gym on Tuesday, worked out, and walked home (1.5 hours walking).

Yesterday I was a little sore so took a break from the gym but walked with my husband to work (45 minutes).

I've decided one of my problems is I am still not eating enough of the good stuff so I am starting a food diary this week to make sure I am getting all my food groups in- and no extra treats until those are completed.

It's been cooler here so that water has slipped- back to drinking my 3 L!

Cheers,

I am on my second go round with these pounds. I lost 90 the first go around and bought all cute small clothes. Since I had done what every said to do and gave away all my big clothes, I only have 3 outfits to wear. I have to lose 50 now, by my April 2006 cruise, Would love a weekly motivater

Nancy

NancyFancy don't feel lonely. It seems like many of us are in the same boat.

I must have lost a ton or more over the years.:eek:

I'm down 50 pounds this time and am shooting for 110 by my June cruise.

There's a lot of nice people here and can help you no matter which way you

choose to lose.

Reggie:D

Archived