Eclipse Basketball Court

k&b

We're trying to choose between two cruise ships - Celebrity Eclipse and Sapphire Princess. As the cruises we're looking at are pretty long, details matter. We've been on Celebrity before, but on the M class. The Summit has a full-sized basketball court with no cover - heaven for my dh and ds. What about the Eclipse? From the pictures I could find it seems there's only half a court (one basket) with a cover. Can anyone confirm that?

What about Sapphire Princess? The pictures show full-sized court with a cover. Is that correct?

Wife and mother of basketball nuts :)

Full court on the Sapphire (assuming its the same as the Crown, Emerald and Caribbean, all ships I sailed on), 1/2 court on the Eclipse. None of the ships has any type of overhead cover.

Played pick-up games on both ship lines and the games always were 1/2 court. Thank the Lord, now over 60 and I don't think I could keep up with some 20 or early 30 year old running back and forth. Celebrity recreation staff does run a a shooting contest.

Just remember to adjust your shot to the wind speed :rolleyes:

Edited by Banjo

We're trying to choose between two cruise ships - Celebrity Eclipse and Sapphire Princess. As the cruises we're looking at are pretty long, details matter. We've been on Celebrity before, but on the M class. The Summit has a full-sized basketball court with no cover - heaven for my dh and ds. What about the Eclipse? From the pictures I could find it seems there's only half a court (one basket) with a cover. Can anyone confirm that?

What about Sapphire Princess? The pictures show full-sized court with a cover. Is that correct?

Wife and mother of basketball nuts :)

As far as I can remember you are correct, The Eclipse has a half size court with one basket.

I should remember it better as that is where my OH tore his knee cartilage!!

They usually play in the afternoons when in port, with other basketball nuts :D So wind isn't a problem. By the cover I meant a net, not a cover for bad weather etc. The Summit doesn't have a net, hence dh and ds were in heaven - two baskets + no net.

Banjo, you seem to know Princess ships. Is it true there are no sofas in the cabins, except in the suites? That's a major negative for us - 4 people with almost nowhere to sit. Thanks!

They usually play in the afternoons when in port, with other basketball nuts :D So wind isn't a problem. By the cover I meant a net, not a cover for bad weather etc. The Summit doesn't have a net, hence dh and ds were in heaven - two baskets + no net.

Banjo, you seem to know Princess ships. Is it true there are no sofas in the cabins, except in the suites? That's a major negative for us - 4 people with almost nowhere to sit. Thanks!

I have only been on S class ships (Solstice, Silhouette, Reflection & Eclipse) with Celebrity, all had nets. They use the court for volleyball & street hockey also but never seen these games played.

Concerning rooms on Princess. I only stayed in balcony rooms on Princess ships, several of my cruises our college attending son accompanied us so it was 3 of us. No couch, they had chairs around, I would say, a coffee table. Our son slept in a bed dropped from the ceiling. On Celebrity when he accompanied us the room had the couch but slept also in a bed that dropped from the ceiling.

As far as I can remember you are correct, The Eclipse has a half size court with one basket.

I should remember it better as that is where my OH tore his knee cartilage!!

This happened to me, not as serious as your torn cartilage but scarey, about 3 years ago when we cruised on the Emerald Princess on a Baltic cruise.

It was a nice calm sea day between Warneumunde and Tallinn and I went up to the basketball court to see if I could get into a pick-up game. A game was going on when I arrived and to kill time waiting to substitute in I was shooting at the basket that was not used. Doing a lay-up the rim came down on the bridge of my nose. I am not that good to get up that high enough to dunk it or hang on the rim so that was not it :rolleyes:. Blood started flow like an open facet from my nose all over the court. One the players playing ran into a nearby game room to see if he could get one of Princess's recreation staff. Finally, after a few minutes, one shows up but he had to go back inside to find some napkins. Again, all this time blood is still flowing. Finally he comes back and says you need to go to the medical clinic. I asked what's the best way to get to the clinic, he says you have to walk to mid ship and get the elevator to the lowest floor. I knew that but I was hoping for another answer because to get to mid ship I have walk through Lido Deck buffet area which I didn't want to do with my bloody nose. Also it was still lunch time. Well I make it down to the clinic and while sitting they give me a ice pack and I feared I broke my nose. The ice pack did stop the bleeding and they did an x-ray. The x-ray showed the nose was fortunately not broken. The ship doctor also came in and said I should be okay. Then the ships security supervisor showed up and he had me do an incident report. He also took back up to the basketball court, it was deserted at the time with all my blood still on the court and I described what happened. To get to the basketball court, he takes me a way through the crew area that only takes about 3 minutes and without going through the dining area. He asked me to sign some statement but I politely refused and Security officer said okay. I had a nasty black-eye and I recall when getting into St Petersburg the 2nd day after the incident it went away with constant icing it down. So it ended up okay.

Edited by Banjo