ANYONE DONE THE JOST VAN DYKE OR "BATHS" EXCURSION WHEN IN ST. THOMAS

Have not done these excursions thru RCI, but have been to both places many times on my own during land vacations in the VI. The Baths at Virgin Gorda is definitely a great trip. I've done it using a regularly scheduled ferry from Red Hook on St Thomas (same spot St John ferries leave from), as well as thru a tour. The regular ferry was a very sloooowww process. Both Virgin Gorda and Jost Van Dyke are British VI and customs clearance is required upon arriving and returning (you'll stop at St John and clear there). Particularly a pain since you may have just stood in a long line on the ship to clear customs when you arrived in St Thomas. Clearing on the regular ferry took way too long. With a tour you still have to clear but they pretty much handle it for you and it's very organized. You'd have to check the timing to be sure you'll make it back to the ship, but going with an organized tour to The Baths is the way to go. Try Limnos Charters. There's a web site, but not sure what it is. Leaves from Red Hook at American Yacht Harbor, includes drinks (yes--alcoholic as well), lunch, transport from the dock at Virgin Gorda (The Baths are not right there, and once at that parking lot you still have a short walk. If the elderly are involved, I might reconsider). Can't recall if snorkeling gear is included. I think so, but the snorkeling will be at The Baths--no other stops. The last time we did this trip I think it was about $100, and another $15 for customs and immigration fees. Depending on the exact arrangements, I'd bet the RCI excursion is more. Jost Van Dyke would be a more relaxing beach-type day. Less stressful in that it's much closer to St Thomas/St John than Virgin Gorda. The attraction here is sunning, drinking and eating. You'll hear of the Soggy Dollar Bar--named for sailors who just swim in rather than take a dingy, and their pockets would be full of . . . soggy dollars. A bit more famous is Foxy's where if you're lucky, Foxy himself will be on hand strumming his guitar and singing tunes for (and about) the crowd. St Thomas has a ton of day sails that go there with the usual drinks, lunch and snorkeling arrangement. Try usvi.net and look for links to attractions and tours. Bottom line--go for The Baths on your own if you can pull off the timing. Hope this helps.

I would only take a ship tour to the Baths given the distance (nearly 2 hours each way) and the clearing of customs... chance of not making it back on time on your own would be too great for me. But, The Baths is a very cool place, very unique, natural beauty and fun to climb through the boulder paths. But that's a long time on a boat for a short time ashore most likely.

JVD is closer, about an hour from St. Thomas Cruise port, and you also will

have to clear customs each way... the attraction is the quintessential

caribbean beach bar experience... both bays offer beautiful white sand

sheltered beaches (no dock in the bay where the Soggy Dollar is, so you

may be required to swim ashore). A 1/4 mile walk from the dock in the bay

with Foxy's. But what a memorable place.

Just did this trip last week while on a land vacation. It is really great. We were on Breakaway -- operated by New Horizons. But the Limnos tour was essentially the same and their folks are equally as professional.

Here's the rub -- it's a looong day. We arrived at the marina at 7:15am and returned at 5pm. We actually left our hotel (near the cruise dock) at 6:30am. Both trips leave from the East End, so it's a 20 minute drive from the cruise dock. I just don't know if there would be enough time for this day trip from a cruise ship. I'd second Pelican Bill in recommending that you book this one through the cruise line. That way if there are customs delays or other gliches, you'll be covered.

thanks for all the replies-the cost on RCI is $90-95 for ea:p ch excursion-so I guess that is a good price- I am taking my mother-who is a healthy 71 years young-but she has been complaining of a bum knee-so maybe JVD would be better- I was there 15 years ago- on a day trip-on a private boat-was not sure how an excursion would be-will probably splurge and go-my mom would love it-I hope:p :p :p

Archived