Compare Skagway Yukon Pass Train vs. Bus

Susie51

Has anyone done both tours? Which would you recommend and why?

Have you looked in the ports of call section for Alaska? There is a bunch of info over there that we used when we went to Alaska in 2011. We drove via a rental car but haven't taken the train.

The first time, we took the train. It was enjoyable but not much space outside between cars to take pictures. It was the 3-hour or half day excursion. When we went back again, we took the tour by bus that went up to the Yukon. It was a full day-enjoyed the picture stops along the way, lunch was great and Emerald Lake beautiful.

we did the train up and a smaller shuttle bus back down thru Chillkoot charters. Stood outside on the train platform for "moving" pictures and got to stop and get off the shuttle bus for picture opportunities (Alaska sign, skagway, etc). It was great!:D

Have you looked in the ports of call section for Alaska? There is a bunch of info over there that we used when we went to Alaska in 2011. ...

Yes, an awesome resource for Alaska information.

Has anyone done both tours? Which would you recommend and why?

If you'd like, take a look at my Alaska review from this past September. Page 2, post #41 - I have pics of the train ride -- and the bus ride, although it was fogged in most of the way up on the bus, so there wasn't much to be seen.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1916287&page=2

I highly recommend the train... it is extraordinary. From a logistical standpoint, I love the way the manage the passenger loading of the cars... they evenly distribute folks and as such, there's not a bad seat on the thing.

Riding on the outside platform is a unique opportunity and a great way to see the land.

We also did the train to Canada, bus back tour. Ours was booked through NCL, and included a stop at a suspended bridge during the bus portion. Honestly, the place was a complete tourist trap, but it was fun to take pictures from the middle of the river (from the bridge) and the place was very scenic.

I liked the mix of bus and train. I also liked that it was only a 3-4 hour excursion because that gave us time to explore the town.

We also did the bus ride up to the Yukon, I believe it was Chilkoot, and then the White Pass Rail back. We had never done either before, so we did both. I'm glad I did the Rail once, but honestly, the bus was SO much more enjoyable and scenic. It was a large van, and there were 6 or 8 of us total. There were enough stops that it was not tiring. The guide was very knowledgable and his narrative about those who hiked the pass during the gold rush was fascinating. If I ever go again, I will do the full day bus tour with Chilkoot. It was early season, and we could not go all the way to Emerald Lake. The scenery was jaw dropping. I was disappointed in the train. Chilkoot comes in a close second to my favorite thing on our Alaska cruise, the float plane tour over the glaciers.

Two weeks ago we rented a car and drove over into Carcross and Emerald Lake. This was the second time we have done this. Both times it was our favorite Alaskan experience (except for a couple weeks we spent exploring Northern Alaska). Very easy drive, you can stop where you want and take your time. We spent time at Caribou Crossing in the Yukon before any buses arrived, and still got back in time to spend a few hours in town. Very easy to do and I highly recommend it.

Robin

If you'd like, take a look at my Alaska review from this past September. Page 2, post #41 - I have pics of the train ride -- and the bus ride, although it was fogged in most of the way up on the bus, so there wasn't much to be seen.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1916287&page=2

I highly recommend the train... it is extraordinary. From a logistical standpoint, I love the way the manage the passenger loading of the cars... they evenly distribute folks and as such, there's not a bad seat on the thing.

Riding on the outside platform is a unique opportunity and a great way to see the land.

Thank you for the link to the pics you took.