Fashion Help Needed for Husband

Gym Girl

Hello, Everyone!

We're off to Mexico in 9 days- I have my wardrobe taken care of, but need help with my husband.

He's bringing pants for dining out- but since it's going to be so warm, I don't want him to bring his regular khaki pants, as they aren't very lightweight. Does anyone have suggestions for alternates? And what about shirts? He has several seersucker collared shirts- would they be appropriate?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Betsy

Since you're looking for an alternative to heavy weight khaki pants, I'm assuming you are looking for casual options, right?

For casual dinners, my DH wears either linen pants, which is the very coolest fabric one can wear in the heat (both style-wise and temp wise!). He's got them in black, navy and a great tobacco shade. Also, he has some "dressy" cotton pants - these are thin, lightweight cotton pants with a sateen finish (giving them a very slight sheen). He has these in black and olive. I can usually find this items at Lord & Taylor, Macy's or Bloomingdales.

I have never seen cotton shirts w/ seersucker at the collar only. To be honest, they sound kind of "nerdy", but could easily be proved wrong if you or someone has a photo to post of one.

For casual and cool shirts, DH wears linen or cotton. He's got a few solid colored linen shirts in a variety of colors as well as some small patterned print shirts. He has a couple of Tommy Bahama type short sleeved patterned shirts, but they're not so popular anymore. He would bring one on a cruise only because he already has one - and it's not sooo "out" that he'd look out of place, but I wouldn't buy him anymore at this point.

For casual footwear, he wears topsiders or casual loafers - pennyloafer style, no wingtips or fringes.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Jane

Jane:

The shirts I'm talking about are seersucker shirts with a button tab collar- not a shirt with a seersucker collar!

Thanks for the info- we're not fans of linen, but the cotton pants sound great. We were just at Macy's last weekend, so looks like we'll be back.

Thanks again for your help!

Betsy

(not going on a cruise- land only)

L.L.Bean has tropic weight cargo pants and khakis too. I know you only have 9 days and L.L.Bean is mail-order, but they do have 2nd day shipping options and a web site. My husband really liked the tropic weight cargo pants when we lived in California (central valley, so highs were frequently around 100 in the summer).

Jane:

The shirts I'm talking about are seersucker shirts with a button tab collar- not a shirt with a seersucker collar!

Thanks for the info- we're not fans of linen, but the cotton pants sound great. We were just at Macy's last weekend, so looks like we'll be back.

Thanks again for your help!

Betsy

(not going on a cruise- land only)

Betsy,

Oops! I read "seersucker collared shirts" to read as a regular shirt with a seersucker collar. It did sound weird! :)

If you don't like linen, then the cotton sateen would work well. Khaki's will definitely be too hot in Mexico.

Have a great time!

Caviargirl - yes, Tommy Bahama has certainly kept with the times and makes very nice causal clothes. So often we associate that name with the "typical" short sleeved tropical print shirt and that's what I was referring to.

Jane

Just wanted to add my husband also has several pair of drawstring linen pants he loves.

Wears them with Rainbow flipflops and he looks great!

(In the south Rainbow's are considered dressy or casual depending upon what you wear them with)

Archived