Carrying Back Liqueur

I don't want to hijack the other souvenir thread, so I'll start a new one.

How are you getting liqueur purchases home? Shipping? You can't carry it on a plane with you, and packing it adds so much weight.

In the past, I looked forward to bringing home my favorite Sheridans, but I haven't had any in the house for years now!

I don't want to hijack the other souvenir thread, so I'll start a new one.

How are you getting liqueur purchases home? Shipping? You can't carry it on a plane with you, and packing it adds so much weight.

In the past, I looked forward to bringing home my favorite Sheridans, but I haven't had any in the house for years now!

I always pack it in my checked luggage or carry it with me on the plane from the duty free. It does add weight but it is worth it.

I pack it in my checked luggage, wrapped up in clothes in the middle of my bag. I also bring some plastic shopping bags from home with me and I wrap the bottle up in that first. I will also look to buy plastic bottles of liquor as they are lighter, but unfourtunately Sherridan's is glass only...

Edited by Rufferto

I bring an empty duffel bag in my suitcase. Some clothes go into the duffel for the return trip which makes room in my suitcase for the booze. I try to buy in places where they deliver to the ship, that way it comes packed up pretty good usually in a box and bubble wrap. I put the whole box in the suitcase surrounded by clothes.

Maybe I need to pack less, but my checked bag is usually too close to 50 lb to add the heavy bottles to it. Paying for overweight bags, or a 2nd bag steers me away from purchasing anything on board?

We find we bring more stuff than we actually use. So we bring less now so we can bring home the extra special bottles we find. Still find for next cruise we need less to pack.

Edited by Folk Singer

In checked luggage, packed in a "Wine Diaper" (available on Amazon, also sold at the Container Store as "Jet Bags") which is a padded bag filled with superabsorbant material that can soak up the contents of a 750ml bottle should the unthinkable happen.

In checked luggage, packed in a "Wine Diaper" (available on Amazon, also sold at the Container Store as "Jet Bags") which is a padded bag filled with superabsorbant material that can soak up the contents of a 750ml bottle should the unthinkable happen.

good to know.

Wine Diapers are the way to go. I carry an extra canvas bag. for the trip home, I will place dirty clothes and anything else allowable for carry on in the canvas bag....creates extra space/pounds for placing the alcohol in suitcases.

I carry my own toiletries...never use ship or hotel...but I carry them in the minimum size needed for the week. I use it up or leave it at the end of the week to help avoid weight overages.

Around Christmas time a craft store here (Michaels)has hard wine containers to use for gift giving. They have a removable top, when we don't carry booze we use it for vanilla, after shave/perfume, other delicate things, used for sea shells in Florida. If empty there is always something to cram in it for the space.