Should I book Pride of Aloha for Jan. 06?

rez4jc

Reading through the reviews of this ship, even with an open mind, I am leary! There are not too many "good" reviews of this ship or her all American crew. I like the Saturday departures of the Aloha, as I am staying for a week at our time share in Kauai after the cruise, and they have Sat. check-in/out.

I sailed on the Aloha this past January and loved it. I haven't read any of the reviews on the ship since my sailing, so I have no idea what issues currently exist on the ship. BUT, I can tell you that many of the issues that existed 6 months prior to my sailing were corrected by the time of my sailing.

For example, prior to my sailing there were many concerns about high crew turnover, long waits in the main dining room, quality of the buffet, quality of the refurbished staterooms, and overall cleanliness. But, from what I could tell, all of those problems had been adequately addressed when I sailed. (In fact, our only disappointment was the lesser than expected quality of food in main dining room. So, we opted to eat in the 3 specialty restaurants and had the best food we've ever eaten on a cruise!)

Perhaps these are ongoing problems, I just don't know. However, I can assure you that the onboard entertainment is wonderful and the 7-day itenerary is spectacular. There are many amazing shore excursions to chose from. Or, you can easily rent a car for the day at the various ports and do it on your own. I don't want to give the impression that the Pride of Aloha is just a floating hotel, because it is much more than that. But, there's simply no way that you could visit all the islands in a 7-day period on your own . . . without running yourself ragged.

In the end, you'll likely find yourself spending much less time on the ship during the day than you would on other cruises (regularly getting off early and returning late in the afternoon). So many of the problem issues might not even apply to you.

Archived