Maple Syrup - I had forgotten!

bingo3

My grandparents owned a sugar cabin in rural Quebec so it's in my blood. We've always had the real stuff. The real and good stuff is always abundant in our grocery stores at all times of year but especially at this time of year.

This morning I had breakfast on the Getaway in Taste, and was pleasantly surprised to see the menu list REAL Vermont maple syrup! Yum! So I asked for pancakes with REAL maple syrup. Grosssssss. It was definitely not real Vermont maple syrup or syrup that came out of any maple tree. It tasted like some sick joke of a substitute. My husband loves Aunt Jemima (gasp!) and I would 100% have preferred "pancake syrup" to the gross stuff they served me. Needless to say I just stuck with the bacon and hash brown side and didn't touch the nasty chemical stuff. So no, they do not have "real" syrup, they do not even have a decent store brand pancake syrup. It's just nasty.

I know you've probably eaten Mrs Butterworths syrup for many years, but it has zero maple syrup in it:

"Mrs Butterworth’s Original ingredients: High Fructose Corn Syrup, Corn Syrup, Water, Salt, Cellulose Gum, Molasses, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative), Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Citric Acid, Caramel Color, Polysorbate 60."

But please continue to enjoy your cellulose gum and polysorbate 60. :rolleyes:

Agreed. Only the real stuff in this house!

Edited by SissasMomE

I know you've probably eaten Mrs Butterworths syrup for many years, but it has zero maple syrup in it:

"Mrs Butterworth’s Original ingredients: High Fructose Corn Syrup, Corn Syrup, Water, Salt, Cellulose Gum, Molasses, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative), Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Citric Acid, Caramel Color, Polysorbate 60."

But please continue to enjoy your cellulose gum and polysorbate 60. :rolleyes:

Why thank you! I will continue to enjoy exactly what I choose. I didn't know I was answering to the nutrition police. :roll eyes: Thank you for your permission to "continue to enjoy…blah blah blah." Any other stones you wish to throw?

Why thank you! I will continue to enjoy exactly what I choose. I didn't know I was answering to the nutrition police. :roll eyes: Thank you for your permission to "continue to enjoy…blah blah blah." Any other stones you wish to throw?

Hmmm quite, this is probably also a person that enjoys a bit of dihydrogen monoxide, all those nasty chemicals! :)

My grandparents owned a sugar cabin in rural Quebec so it's in my blood. We've always had the real stuff. The real and good stuff is always abundant in our grocery stores at all times of year but especially at this time of year.

This morning I had breakfast on the Getaway in Taste, and was pleasantly surprised to see the menu list REAL Vermont maple syrup! Yum! So I asked for pancakes with REAL maple syrup. Grosssssss. It was definitely not real Vermont maple syrup or syrup that came out of any maple tree. It tasted like some sick joke of a substitute. My husband loves Aunt Jemima (gasp!) and I would 100% have preferred "pancake syrup" to the gross stuff they served me. Needless to say I just stuck with the bacon and hash brown side and didn't touch the nasty chemical stuff. So no, they do not have "real" syrup, they do not even have a decent store brand pancake syrup. It's just nasty.

Ah, so it hasn't changed from a year and a half ago. Guess I'll be bringing my own Mrs Butterworth.

Corn syrup has ruined everything we eat, especially here in the USA. Don't get me wrong, corn itself is a wonderful vegetable, preferably plucked fresh off the stalk, cleaned, wrapped in tin foil with some butter and a little salt, and put on the back of the barbecue. :) Awesome! But I had forgotten how good Coke was for example, until I tried it in Mexico. Made with REAL cane sugar. Wow! And yes, I have brought my own maple syrup on board with me too. :D

I agree. But you can blame your own government for that. Do you know why soda is made with corn syrup in the USA? Its because of the bought and paid for United States Congress. The sugar lobby in the USA sets a sugar price to make sugar imports very expensive and pushes the price up for all sugar. Cola companies in the USA just switched to high fructose corn syrup instead. You can get real sugar cola anywhere else in the world. Our government works against its own people. The dairy lobby also controls the price of milk.

***getting off the soap box now ***

I was going to bring my own syrup because of threads like this that made me crazy. I was already bringing my own tea but drew the line on bringing a bottle of syrup. Turns out the tea and the syrup were not that bad for the hassle or bringing your own stuff.

Edited by david_sobe

Corn syrup has ruined everything we eat, especially here in the USA. Don't get me wrong, corn itself is a wonderful vegetable

Corn is a grain. It's all sugars and starches; hence why it has ruined so much food in the US. Hence why Jersey Sweet corn is so good on the grill with no other help.

Corn is a grain. It's all sugars and starches; hence why it has ruined so much food in the US. Hence why Jersey Sweet corn is so good on the grill with no other help.

I stand corrected Lovey. By the way, how is Thurston doing these days? :)

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I agree. But you can blame your own government for that. Do you know why soda is made with corn syrup in the USA? Its because of the bought and paid for United States Congress. The sugar lobby in the USA sets a sugar price to make sugar imports very expensive and pushes the price up for all sugar. Cola companies in the USA just switched to high fructose corn syrup instead. You can get real sugar cola anywhere else in the world. Our government works against its own people. The dairy lobby also controls the price of milk.

***getting off the soap box now ***

I was going to bring my own syrup because of threads like this that made me crazy. I was already bringing my own tea but drew the line on bringing a bottle of syrup. Turns out the tea and the syrup were not that bad for the hassle or bringing your own stuff.

I agree David, and I DO blame our government. The more that government involves itself in commerce, the more corrupt it becomes. The constitution was written to protect the people FROM the government, not the other way around, which is what has happened. But just as a point of information, it is my understanding that the sugar cane growers in Mexico lobbied THEIR government to slow the use of corn syrup in Mexico. That is the primary reason that Coca Cola doesn't use corn syrup in Coke that is bottled south of the border. It always comes down to money. Always. :(

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Edited by bobg529

Money is a huge problem though. Companies raise their prices and people freak out. Look at what is happening with room service etc right now with NCL. If they don't raise their prices, they choose a cheaper ingredient. They cut some corners. Bands start to get replaced by DJs (Carnival), production shows become small and stale (Carnival!). My problem is not that Norwegian does not have maple syrup, it's expensive stuff. Even in Quebec where lots of people know of someone with a sugar cabin. But don't market it as real when it's not. I would prefer them to say 4.95$ charge for real maple syrup and have the option to "upgrade", but then it would raise a big stink about nickle and diming so instead you just don't get the option.