visa points and other discounts

Ok, I can't keep up with what discounts are combinable with other discounts. Can someone help me here. Just put a hold on a cruise with the bogoho sale. They permitted me to use my diamond balcony discount. Does anyone understand the new visa point situation well enough to tell me if I will be able to use 25,000 points for $250 off the fare, or is this a no go?

Ok, I can't keep up with what discounts are combinable with other discounts. Can someone help me here. Just put a hold on a cruise with the bogoho sale. They permitted me to use my diamond balcony discount. Does anyone understand the new visa point situation well enough to tell me if I will be able to use 25,000 points for $250 off the fare, or is this a no go?

Some Visa point redemptions are not combinable with balcony discount. I believe that cruise discounts, free cruises, and free companion fares are not combinable with the C&A balcony discount.

However, redemptions for OBC are combinable with the balcony discount.

Ellen - are you still in the bathroom?

Edited by clarea

Can I use visa points to pay for the cruise? i.e. If i want to reduce my outstanding balance can I use points to get $500 off what I still owe? Or when I use points do I only get OBC?

I have never used points for anything other than a free cruise.

Can I use visa points to pay for the cruise? i.e. If i want to reduce my outstanding balance can I use points to get $500 off what I still owe? Or when I use points do I only get OBC?

I have never used points for anything other than a free cruise.

You can use your points for a discount. I believe those start at 15,000 points, and there is a redemption for 50,000 points ($500) too.

Edited by clarea

You can use your points for a discount. I believe those start at 15,000 points, and there is a redemption for 50,000 points ($500) too.

Thanks. I don't feel that's the best use of the points. But I may do it.

We have always used 125,000 point on the Allure to get a "free cruise". However, the requirements were raised for the Allure to 200,000. I need to think this out.

Some Visa point redemptions are not combinable with balcony discount. I believe that cruise discounts, free cruises, and free companion fares are not combinable with the C&A balcony discount.

However, redemptions for OBC are combinable with the balcony discount.

Ellen - are you still in the bathroom?

No I am out:D- The only Visa award that is going to be allowed with any sailings that have BOGOHO on it is for OBC.

Meant to quote you along with Bob- I was told only OBC awards are allowed with any sailings that have BOGOHO

Ok let me get this straight. I have the Allure booked for February 2015. I booked a BOGO. When I booked it I asked my travel agent if I could use my points towards the purchase price, she said she didn't see why not.

I wanted to use 100,000 points which is $1000.00 towards my final payment. Are you 100% sure that I can't so this?

I sure don't want to order the certificate and then have them tell me I can't use it.

I hate that you get different answers from everyone. If I called rccl i would get a different answer from a different agent! I wish it was in print somewhere!

Ok let me get this straight. I have the Allure booked for February 2015. I booked a BOGO. When I booked it I asked my travel agent if I could use my points towards the purchase price, she said she didn't see why not.

I wanted to use 100,000 points which is $1000.00 towards my final payment. Are you 100% sure that I can't so this?

I sure don't want to order the certificate and then have them tell me I can't use it.

I hate that you get different answers from everyone. If I called rccl i would get a different answer from a different agent! I wish it was in print somewhere!

Call the B of A redemption department 888-305-4626

Ok so the verdict is in!

They told me i was allowed to use my points towards a cruise discount. You cannot use them for companion fare or free cruise if you use diamond discount.

He checked 3 times. He said I can use the points for obc and for discounts.

I am still nervous though. I would hate to get my discount certificate and have them tell me I can't use it. I will call again next week and get a different agent and see what they say!

I am also going to email my travel agent and get her input.

So stressful! lol

Ok so the verdict is in!

They told me i was allowed to use my points towards a cruise discount. You cannot use them for companion fare or free cruise if you use diamond discount.

I am still nervous though. I would hate to get my discount certificate and have them tell me I can't use it. I will call again next week and get a different agent and see what they say!

So stressful! lol

Thanks for reporting back. Nice to know we can keep the balcony discount when redeeming points for a discount off the cruise.

Edited by clarea

Ok so the verdict is in!

So stressful! lol

Thanks for the info= Guess I will have to try again since I was told I could not do that.

Last 2 cruises I've been on, March 2013 and May 2014, redemption was done on line. You can see how many points you have, pending points and many many different options for using them. It is done pretty immediate, you will receive a confirmation email to print for your records. You can find this on the RCL web site, Crown & Anchor section that is promoting the Visa Card. There is an icon "Already Have A Visa Card", select that and you can see everything, from merchandise to discounts. You can window shop, without selecting anything, while you research which option is best for your points.

Ok so the verdict is in!

So stressful! lol

I don't blame you for being nervous. I just called and tried to redeem an award for a cruise discount on my BOGOHO reservation and was told the same thing I was told before, that they can only be redeemed for OBC.

I told them that someone on CC was told that they COULD use it for OBC and she said that was incorrect info. I hope you got the name of the person that approved it for you. Good luck

It is VERY frustrating trying to redeem points these days. They have made it very hard and the fact that you get different answers every time you call does not help,

Edited by molly361

Molly,

It is so frustrating. I didn't get his name because I am going to keep calling and asking. He checked with 2 other people though. At first he said yes right away and then said, let me double check and he came back and said yes. My biggest fear is that I will order it and then they wont honor it.

I have read over and over the rules on the redemption on the credit card, and all it says under the cruise discounts is that it is not combinable with a reward redemption for a cruise vacation.

This whole thing is making me crazy!

Molly,

It is so frustrating. I didn't get his name because I am going to keep calling and asking. He checked with 2 other people though. At first he said yes right away and then said, let me double check and he came back and said yes. My biggest fear is that I will order it and then they wont honor it.

I have read over and over the rules on the redemption on the credit card, and all it says under the cruise discounts is that it is not combinable with a reward redemption for a cruise vacation.

This whole thing is making me crazy!

I agree about it being frustrating. When you are ready to redeem I would definitely do it on the phone instead of thru the website and once it is approved write down the name of the person that gives you the okay. Good luck- Keep us posted. Ellen

My cruise isnt until February 1st so I am going to wait a few months. But I will let you know if I ever get it figured out! UGH

Here is an updated terms for the program which I just copies from the RCL website. If you look under the Cruise Discount there are more restrictions than the one you quoted above. It looks like the date on this one is 5-20-14

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/visa/royal-web-program-rules-5-20-14.pdf

Edited by molly361