Seward excursions...... HELP!!

Jruns

Okay I posted this twice but I'm not sure I posted it on the right thread but hey the more help the better!! We have one day in Seward (boat docks at 5:00 am) in mid- August so tomorrow my husband was all set to book the 8:00am kenai fjords tour (my suggestion from reading cruise critic) BUT ........ I just read that if your prone to seasickness that this tour is rough!?? Now I am super worried about being sick😟 - my husband and 20 yr old daughter do not get sea sick. (KAYEF) recommended Godwin glacier helicopter flight and sled dog ride to another cruiser and did not go into details and I did respond back to that thread also!! Can anyone tell me about it and how long it takes and will they hold your luggage and basically which they think we should book!?? Obviously the helicopter ride will be $$$ so any input would be greatly appreciated!! I will have patches (prescription) for sea sickness and cruised Baltic's - Mediterranean and Norway etc with no problems but just back from aruba and had no patches and yikes got very nauseous on a snorkeling trip😂. Help please!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We were in Seward two weeks ago. My daughter never gets seasick and did not on her Kenai Fjords trip, but the boat came back an hour and a half early (They refunded $50) because half the boat was sick.

I tried the trip a couple years ago, and even taking Bonine starting the night prior (based on warnings from CC), I was on the boat about 45 minutes and felt miserable. Believe me, I was in the majority of passengers. They turned the boat around and issued refunds that day, too. I tried again the next year, and the captain wouldn't even try to get out of the harbor, so no trip that day.

Here's what I would do. Wait until the morning of the trip. They will have a "rough seas" warning in the office before you board. Heed that warning. If it says there might be rough seas, don't risk it. Even if you're OK, the captain makes the decision to continue the trip based on the number of people who do get sick. Then it's no fun for anyone.

As an alternative, and I know it's expensive from Seward, take one of the Price William Sound trips through Esther Passage from Whittier, I've done it six times, never a hint of seasickness, and no medication or wrist bands necessary. Saw oodles of seals, otters and sea birds along with amazing glaciers.

Or, if your object is just to see sealife I can recommend any of the animal encounters at the Sealife Center. I've done those tours three times. They are wonderful, and you get to feed and/or touch the puffins, seals and octopus.

YMMV. Good luck.

Edited by Suzanne123

Suzanne123 - thank you so much for responding!! I don't think we have enough time for the prince William sound trip 😥- so right now we are leaning toward Godwin glacier and dog sled and then either try to take shuttle to exit glacier and or the sea life center or all 3 depending on time!! Thank you for "potentially saving me from seasickness"!!!!!

my experience was similar to Suzanne's. I've attempted the Kenai cruise 3 times. The 2nd trip was successful and it was absolutely fantastic! We saw glaciers calve, saw tons of sealife, even whales. It was a clear calm day but there's a short period of time after you leave the Bay where it gets kinda rough. I'm prone to motion sickness and started to feel queasy, but the crossing was short enough that I didn't get sick.

The other 2 trips were shortened to Bay tours becasue the weather was so bad. I didn't care for the Bay tour. I'm from the Pacific NW so the scenery wasn't that different for me. On both trips we saw eagle's nest, eagles, lots of birds, seals, some mtn goats on a cliff. I was turning green even in the Bay ... it was that rough.

I would definitely try again. But only on a lovely quiet day when I could assume calm seas ahead for the entire day! And even then, I'd take meds because of that short rough patch.

So if it's something you want to do .... wait until the day of. Why don't you split up and do different activities?

Or maybe do the kayak trip. The water taxi out to the put-in point follows the same route as the Kenai cruise. Do you do better on a small boat ?

Don't know anything about Godwin Glacier. i'm sure the vendor will store your luggage. Most will. The only way to know for sure is to call.

Or if you're taking the train, you can check it early.

Another dog sled and dog cart trip is with Seavey's Ididaride.

Good luck to you!

Mapleleaves- thank you so much for your informative response!! I looked into the kayak trip but decided to avoid water💦💦💦! Trust me I suggested splitting up but my husband wants to stay together (probably knows I would pick the better tour and or theirs could be shortened or worse cancelled or really choppy) and of course I would brag😉 I have been researching Seavey's ididaride and it has great reviews on tripadvisor and several different options - so again thanks for your suggestion! My husband will awake to 5 different emails with great options..... YAYYYYY