MDR vs Lido buffet

dom89

I've only been on a cruise once but can't remember what is offered for dinner at the buffet compared to MDR. Does the buffet offer the same foods as the MDR except you just don't have a waiter?

The hot line will usually include a fish, a meat and a veggie entree. Also some type of vegetable or starch and a soup. All will mirror the nightly menu. Sometimes it is better than the MDR, depending on the chef. There is always something being carved. Only place to get carved lamb or dark meat turkey.

The buffet has some of the same things.

Not that many anymore. I remember the days just a few years ago when they used to have wcmc and steak on the lido buffet at dinner. I recently went to the lido dinner buffet one night instead of the mdr and it was horrible. I actually left there hungry. At lunchtime, the choices for buffet food shipwide are great. At dinner if you don't go to the mdr, there isn't much to choose from unfortunately. For the OP, I would definitely do the mdr, even if you just do anytime dining, the lido dinner more or less sucks these days.

Edited by FlyingCruiserNJ

I'm totally different. I much prefer the casual Lido to the stuffy MDR. When I cruise with my BFF we do the dining room, as she likes the atmosphere and likes to mingle with others. When cruising with my DH we do the Lido always so we can eat together without others. We do like the Golden Fleece restaurant tho. With my Granddaughter, we did the dining room twice, and lido the rest of the time.

Thats the good thing about cruising, choices. I love choices.:)

After 4 cruises we have decided that the lido buffet for dinner is right for us. We found the MDR service painfully slow, bar service non existent, and the table for 2 (which we prefer) are so close together that the waiter spent the whole meal passing food across the table to my DH! And we don't have to sit thru singing/dancing waiters! We have found there to be lots of variety and we can always find a quiet spot to enjoy each others company. Many others like the MDR better and that's why we love cruising....choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We spend about equal parts of our dinners in the MDR and Lido, which may include a night in the specialty restaurant. For the convenience of not getting dressed up or having to rush back from the port, or being able to catch most of the shows is why we do it. On most nights the food is pretty good, with something that will satisfy most. During the day someone in our party will check MDR menu for that night and report back to the rest of the group. Some choose to go to the MDR, some choose to eat at other places. I can often go for just soup and a salad, or pizza and a salad, or maybe just a bowl of pasta with bolognese sauce and a roll, so see no need to sit down for a two hour dinner when I can relax, and be in and out at my leisure.

It depends on what you want to eat. We ate more at the buffet for dinner than going to the dining room.

Not to hijack the thread, but I just wanted to say congratulations on the quitting smoking! I quit 11 years ago...best thing I ever did. It tough, but soooooooooo worth it! Congrats again! :)

The items offered for dinner at the buffet are NOT the same as what is offered in the MDR at all!

They only have a very few things from the MDR menu.

Not my experience at all for dinner.

Obviously not the whole menu but one fish, one meat, one vegetarian option were the same as the MDR menu. Also the soup one of the MDR soups.

It depends greatly on the Lido Head Chef. S/He sets the menu. Never seen WCMC on the buffet on our cruises. Once we did see the Yam, Pumpkin, Cheddar pot pie on the buffet.

Gotta love Carnival. Consistency isn't always a strong point. Over 25 cruises on 7 ships.