Help - 9654 or 7212 Radiance - Alaska

Hi guys,

Seasoned cruiser here but never for Alaska. We're looking at the Radiance on 8/8. Balconies available in our category are 7212 and 9654....which should I choose? Either, neither, or go down to D1 and choose one along the side.

Need to make the decision in a couple of hours. I've done a little research but those were all for tropical settings.

Also, if you are going to site photo pages, please don't send me pics via that webshots link, I can never view those...

Thanks everyone!

Stephanie

Stephanie, very nice choice of ship for Alaska! Typically on Radiance class ships, the higher the deck, the better- due to the lifeboat covers that prevent seeing directly into the water below. Regarding 9654, it is noted as partially obstructed due to the window-washing ladder. Doesn't appear to be an issue for most, but you may want to consider other options. Stateroom 7212- is that correct? I'm not seeing it. Given your timeframe, I recommend doing a Search for 'Radiance 9654', there are many threads discussing it. I would see if a D1 location (midship, wherever you prefer) is available. And keep checking, other balconies may open up. :)

Stephanie, very nice choice of ship for Alaska! Typically on Radiance class ships, the higher the deck, the better- due to the lifeboat covers that prevent seeing directly into the water below. Regarding 9654, it is noted as partially obstructed due to the window-washing ladder. Doesn't appear to be an issue for most, but you may want to consider other options. Stateroom 7212- is that correct? I'm not seeing it. Given your timeframe, I recommend doing a Search for 'Radiance 9654', there are many threads discussing it. I would see if a D1 location (midship, wherever you prefer) is available. And keep checking, other balconies may open up. :)

Thanks. It was 7172. I put a hold on it but I just think we're trying to rush into this. I just checked airfare and the train and the hotels and it looks like it would be another 4k on top of the cruise. It looks like we have some talking to do. Thanks again!

Thanks. It was 7172. I put a hold on it but I just think we're trying to rush into this. I just checked airfare and the train and the hotels and it looks like it would be another 4k on top of the cruise. It looks like we have some talking to do. Thanks again!

I think you'd love 7172, it is a corner aft, glad that you put a hold on it. We've had 1100 on the Radiance and love it! I ran across the post below, I thought you would want to see it. (Sticky, at top of page): 'Royal Caribbean Cabin Information Compilation'. There is also a small thumbnail photo that you can click on, but it didn't transmit into my post below. Currently ssakura's post is on page 6 of the above thread, if you want to check it out. Great pic!

Ship - Radiance Of The Seas

Deck - 7

Stateroom - 7172

Stateroom Category - D2

Starboard or Portside - Corner Aft

Quiet Stateroom? (With comments on problems) - Yes, except for music from Deck 6 which kept me up at night in 2008 (I'm a light sleeper).

Was stateroom a connecting stateroom? - No

Balcony View - Give comments on view, noting if location of any obstructions was an issue. - Great view to the back, slight view to the side.

Balcony Size? Normal or oversized for class? - Slightly larger

Was wind a problem? - There was some wind, but not a problem.

If an aft cabin, was soot a problem? - No

Any specific problems with this cabin? - No

Any other comments? - The back of the ship is sloped so a big part of the balcony is not sheltared.

Sorry it didn't work out.

You pointed out a couple of things about a Northbound or Southbound cruise that come into play though...the added airfare in particular. It's no small consideration either....arriving in one city and leaving from another...or else having to pay for the train to get back to your starting location.

Having just done the Radiance of the Seas Alaska roundtrip itinerary out of Vancouver a few weeks back...it made things much easier and less expensive.

Oh...and Deck 9 is quieter for sure than Deck 7.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001