Question for the people that buy cigaretts on the ship

bitzy

Being a smoker, of course I want to buy on the ship. I bought 4 cartons in cello wrap. I know the paper for customs says only one carton. I was honest and put down my four cartons, so customs says I can only have one. But, I said, they come wrapped in four. He made we wait while he went to talk to someone. He came back and said it was my lucky day and let me pass.

Anyone have any problems with customs on cigaretts? He tried to tell me the wrapped cartons are for selling to the islands. I was not going to point out they were on a shelf for passengers to buy.

It's been my understanding that you can buy as many cigarettes/as much liquor as you want.

The issue is what amount is duty-free.

I've always been honest about my purchases and they've always let me pass through without paying the extra duty.

I don't know why this guy had an issue.

Maybe I have it all wrong....can someone clarify?

He must have been having a bad day or something. As noted, being honest and declaring what you have is the best policy. I have seen people bring back in excessive of what is allowed in cigarettes and liquor, but have never seen anyone pay the duty/tax on their excess. Normally the agent will look at the form, initial/sign it, and send you on your way. Enjoy your cruise!!!:)

I agree honesty is the best policy. Declare what you bring back. Usually customs will let it slide if the amount is reasonable. Worse case you pay the tax of about 10-12 dollars per carton. That is still less than you would pay for a carton in the states. If you don't declare that is smuggling and the fines for that will be way more than the tax.

Last week was my 4th cruise and I always buy the box of 5 cartons of Marlboros and never have had any one say anything about the number of cartons. Last week, the guy made a comment about it being my lucky day and letting me go.

Carnival Inspiration - 2012, 2013, and 2014(twice)

I agree that honesty is the best policy! Every cruise I buy the 5 carton pack of Marlboros, 1 carton of Pall Malls for me to use during the cruise, and 2 cartons of Pall Malls for the lady who takes care of my cats while I'm on the cruise, and a couple of bottles of Crown for the adult kids. I declare them all and have never had to pay the duty on the extra cigs. We are in our late 50's. My son (mid 20's) had to pay the duty on his last cruise on the extra 2 cartons of cigarettes he brought back for me (and declared)....go figure!

He didn't have a "lucky day", but we knew that it is always possible that it may not be our lucky day.

I have yet to pay for anything while going through customs, nor have I ever seen anyone pay.

I declare everything, and our last trip I was the only adult and brought back 8 bottles of liquor and 2 cartons of cigarettes and the agent didn't even bat an eye. This was in New York, I had the same experience in San Juan and Miami.

According to US Customs you are allowed 200 cigarettes. It doesn't matter if they are in a sealed carton, sealed packs or loose and rolling around in the bottom of a duffle bag. For the most part, the agent won't care if you have a few extra cartons or a couple extra bottles.

They are just like most everyone else, they hate their job, hate their coworkers and don't feel like they are compensated properly. They are also usually pretty good at reading passengers attitude and body language and have a pretty high (statistically) success rate of catching people smuggling drugs, large amounts of cash and other things that are serious offenses.

Be honest on your form, answer any questions truthfully and don't try to smuggle any black tar heroin into the country and you won't have any problems.

I brought back 4 cartons from my last cruise in April and had to go to the back room at customs to pay the penalty. The guy looked all over the place and couldn 't find the forms he needed. He told me it was my lucky day.

Last cruise, we each bought the 5 cartons of Marlboro and declared them on the form as we always do. Handed the customs lady my form and she ask me did we buy any cigarettes, I said yes and told her how many. ( I should have said" read the form" LOL She then had a man take us to a room where we paid $80.00, and it had to be cash or check which surprised me. This was the first time we've had to pay. Still a lot cheaper than here! :D

Last cruise, we each bought the 5 cartons of Marlboro and declared them on the form as we always do. Handed the customs lady my form and she ask me did we buy any cigarettes, I said yes and told her how many. ( I should have said" read the form" LOL She then had a man take us to a room where we paid $80.00, and it had to be cash or check which surprised me. This was the first time we've had to pay. Still a lot cheaper than here! :D

I guess it wasn't YOUR lucky day. :-)

Like yourself, we've always declared the two or three extra cartons on the form and have nothad to pay duty yet. Maybe the luck will continue.

Edited by The4Cruisers