Good LOCAL jewelry store?

sherryf

I have a whale tail pendant that I bought on my first trip to Alaska in 2001 and I wear it nearly all the time. I recently got my ears pierced for the first time (looong story) and now I'd like to buy some whale tail earrings also. Can anyone recommend a locally owned jewelry store in Ketchikan, Juneau, or Skagway? I don't want cheap junk from a souvenir store. I have sensitivities to metals so I need 14 k gold. I also won't set foot in Diamonds International or that ilk. Any suggestions?

I have a whale tail pendant that I bought on my first trip to Alaska in 2001 and I wear it nearly all the time. I recently got my ears pierced for the first time (looong story) and now I'd like to buy some whale tail earrings also. Can anyone recommend a locally owned jewelry store in Ketchikan, Juneau, or Skagway? I don't want cheap junk from a souvenir store. I have sensitivities to metals so I need 14 k gold. I also won't set foot in Diamonds International or that ilk. Any suggestions?

While is Skagway we were told of a local store. It was open all year. I am sorry but I cannot recall the name of it but it was down the main street, Broadway, on on the right from what I recall. If I were buying, I probably would have paid more attention.

Edited by sept10dsm

Hi, I think you might find what you're looking for at Inspired Artworks in Skagway:

http://www.inspiredartworks.com/Inspired_Artworks/Welcome_to_Inspired_Artworks.html

If you click on their online store offerings, you will see an example of their whale tail earrings:

http://www.inspiredartworks.com/Inspired_Artworks/Diving_Whale_Tail_by_Ralf_Gorichanaz_Skagway_Alaska.html

Edited to add: I don't know about the metals they use; if you have sensitivity to sterling silver, it might not work for you. It might be worth it to check them out and ask about their materials.

Edited by middle-aged mom

Corrington's in Skagway has a number of displays of locally-made/nearby-made jewelry. The jewellers and their location are identified in the display cases with the jewelry. Can't remember whale tail earrings but certainly worth checking there. (I wasn't looking for whale tail earrings, having found a pair a few years ago)

• 1 month later...

I wanted to follow up on this. I did get my whale tail earrings, and I ended up getting them from the same store where I originally bought my pendant! The only day I really had time to shop was in Skagway. I looked in several stores, including Corringtons, which had been recommended. They do have some very nice things, but not what I was looking for. I finally wandered into Broadway Jewelry and explained my situation to the salesman. He looked at my pendant and exclaimed, "That looks like one of ours!" He called over the owner, Kathy, and showed her, and she agreed that I had probably bought it from them. The store opened in 2000, and I bought it in 2001. They were in a different location at the time, which is probably why I didn't recognize the store and couldn't find the original store as I remembered it.

The salesman (sorry, I can't recall his name!) opened the display case and pulled out exactly the earrings I was looking for! They even gave me a pretty good price (compared to what I saw on the tag) as a "repeat customer". My daughter also found a cute sea otter charm that I bought for her while we were there.

Here's my pendant and new earrings. Sorry, it's not a great photo.

10581145_10204247716770565_20091197_n.jpg?oh=905e229da02fae1c547ed84a33f35985&oe=53EDE12A&__gda__=1408078549_114fd8a6dabf5721051a317ba18e88d8

The Athabascan tribe (S and SE Alaska) does some beautiful intricate beadwork. You may or may not be able to find 14K, most likely sterling silver ear wires and jewelry clasps. I purchased a pair of earrings that took many hours to make, tiny beads and superb design work. There is also fossilized ivory jewelry made farther north in Alaska - usually fossilized walrus ivory. Sometimes the ivory is carved and polished, sometimes combined with beadwork or inlaid. Pieces such as these are true Alaskan jewelry and their purchase supports local artists.