Anyone else had problems getting a refund/credit from Carnival?

goobz

I cancelled a cruise about 10 months in advance for 5 people because a change of plans. When I cancelled, I got a notice that part of my deposit was not refundable but could be used toward a future cruise as long as it was within 2 years. This was a substantial amount (several thousand dollars). So before the 2 years are up I take another cruise. When I contact Carnival they said "we will just add it to your sail and sign account and anything left over you will get a refund immediately.

So I went on my cruise. When I didn't get my refund, I called them again. Now they say what the first person told me was all wrong. I have to file a claim with Berkeley insurance since I bought insurance through them(via Carnival). These people basically are doing everything they can not to pay. After reading many online reviews of the Berkeley Insurance about 90% of them are negative and I have my doubts about whether I will ever get paid. So now it looks like I am stuck with Carnival not wanting to credit me (even though they took my money and provided nothing) and insurance company that doesn't want to pay out.

No, never had an issue with a refund.

Often people get upset when people ask questions on the forum, rather than just calling a rep on the phone. It sounds like your issue is a prime reason to ask people who have on this site if they have gone through a similar situation, to get feedback on the exact procedure on getting a refund.

The reps dont intend to give bad info, they are often just clueless.

You got some bad advice initially, hopefully someone will be able to help you rectify the situation.

I never get insurance through the cruise line.

Hope it works out soon

Edited by Caribbean King1

No, never had an issue with a refund.

Often people get upset when people ask questions on the forum, rather than just calling a rep on the phone. It sounds like your issue is a prime reason to ask people who have on this site if they have gone through a similar situation, to get feedback on the exact procedure on getting a refund.

The reps dont intend to give bad info, they are often just clueless.

You got some bad advice initially, hopefully someone will be able to help you rectify the situation.

I never get insurance through the cruise line.

Hope it works out soon

So far I have talked to 3 carnival reps and they have given me 3 different answers? Well I suppose get talk to a 4th rep and hope they give me a better answer, but I was hoping to get other advice. And yes this will be the last time I will ever get insurance through a cruiseline.

My canceled cruise credit was applied to the cost of the cruise. I paid my 50 per person deposit, and on the same call, my PVP applied my cruise credit. so by the time I could see my booking online, the total due was already adjusted down.

I cancelled a cruise about 10 months in advance for 5 people because a change of plans. When I cancelled, I got a notice that part of my deposit was not refundable but could be used toward a future cruise as long as it was within 2 years. This was a substantial amount (several thousand dollars). So before the 2 years are up I take another cruise. When I contact Carnival they said "we will just add it to your sail and sign account and anything left over you will get a refund immediately.

You need to be much much more clear as to what you're talking about.

You cancelled a cruise 10 months in advance,,,,,,OK

You were elegible for a full refund of any money paid (UNLESS you booked Early Saver) If you booked Early Saver, you should have received everything EXCEPT $50 per person cancellation fee and $200 per person would be put into an account for the booked person to be used within 2 years. Now, when you rebook another cruise, you have to pay full deposit,,,, then that $200 is applied to your balance.

Several thousand dollars??????? WTH!!

5 people times $250 deposit = $1250 What are the several thousand you're talking about?

You don't get a refund for insurance when you cancel a cruise. SOMETIMES,, if you cancel and immediately rebook they might transfer the insurance to the new booking.

You need to be much much more clear as to what you're talking about.

You cancelled a cruise 10 months in advance,,,,,,OK

You were elegible for a full refund of any money paid (UNLESS you booked Early Saver) If you booked Early Saver, you should have received everything EXCEPT $50 per person cancellation fee and $200 per person would be put into an account for the booked person to be used within 2 years. Now, when you rebook another cruise, you have to pay full deposit,,,, then that $200 is applied to your balance.

Several thousand dollars??????? WTH!!

5 people times $250 deposit = $1250 What are the several thousand you're talking about?

You don't get a refund for insurance when you cancel a cruise. SOMETIMES,, if you cancel and immediately rebook they might transfer the insurance to the new booking.

It was early saver and they it was $400 per person not $200. Yes I am sure of this amount and yes Carnival confirmed the amount. When I rebooked for another cruise they did not apply the amount to my deposit. When I asked about it they told me no problem it will be on your sign and sail account. Except it wasn't and when I talked to the 3rd carnival rep they are the ones that brought up I have to file an insurance claim to receive this $2000. This was never brought up before with the other 2 reps.

So far I have talked to 3 carnival reps and they have given me 3 different answers? Well I suppose get talk to a 4th rep and hope they give me a better answer, but I was hoping to get other advice. And yes this will be the last time I will ever get insurance through a cruiseline.

Why would insurance be involved if the cruise was cancelled 10 months prior?

I don't see why you didn't get all the deposit back minus the $50 pp they keep.

It was early saver and they it was $400 per person not $200. Yes I am sure of this amount and yes Carnival confirmed the amount. When I rebooked for another cruise they did not apply the amount to my deposit. When I asked about it they told me no problem it will be on your sign and sail account. Except it wasn't and when I talked to the 3rd carnival rep they are the ones that brought up I have to file an insurance claim to receive this $2000. This was never brought up before with the other 2 reps.

This is quite interesting, however, My cruise was early saver, and they kept the 400 deposit (200 per person), but again, once I paid my deposit, it went towards the cruise itself.

When did you book the new cruise, was it an instant saver, where you had to pay for the whole cruise at once, or was it one where you were able to pay jus the deposit.

Was your first cruise booked thru a Travel Agent or directly thru Carnival.com?

What was your deposit per person on the first cruise?

How many day cruise was the first cruise that you cancelled?

Was your first cruise booked thru a Travel Agent or directly thru Carnival.com?

What was your deposit per person on the first cruise?

How many day cruise was the first cruise that you cancelled?

What did you book that required $400 pp?

When you made your reservation for the Europe cruise, did you pay for the VPP trip insurance in full?

If so, have you actually spoken or corresponded with anyone at Berkley Insurance about filing a claim for your nonrefundable $$$s or are you just writing them and the claim process off because of negative reviews on a message board?

If you did speak with someone at Berkley, what did they say?