Questions about Amedee Island shore trip

Hi everyone,

I am going on a South Pacific cruise with the Carnival Spirit in August and Noumea is one of the stops. I've been researching things to do in Noumea and am surprised at the number of people who don't like it. I've never been to Noumea before so I'm keeping an open mind about it.

The ship is due to dock in Noumea on a Monday and I note that the little Petit Train/Tchou Tchou Train(s) don't run on Mondays (which is surprising considering the number of cruise passengers who would be happy to pay to have a ride around Noumea on these little trains!!)

Anyway, with that in mind, I thought I might do the Amedee Island shore tour. I've read how popular it is and there is lots to do and it sounds fab BUT does that mean I won't get to see any of Noumea? That is, once on Amedee Island, are there boats or ferries that come and go all day so that you can head off in the early afternoon allowing you a bit of time to have a look around Noumea? My sister-in-law who I am travelling with is a bit horrified that I want to go to Amedee Island and not have a look around Noumea. It's not that I don't want to look around Noumea but what I always imagined was a charming city with cobblestoned streets and little Parisienne cafes and charming alleyways is actually pretty far from the truth!!

So I guess what I'm asking is with only one day in Noumea and with the little trains not running, what is the best use of my time? Doing the Hop On/Hop off bus around Noumea and looking at views or going straight from the cruise ship over to Amedee Island and not seeing anything of Noumea?

Second question - is it true that cruise passengers can't get to Amedee Island any other way than on your particular ship's shore tour? I read on another thread here that one lady rang to book a trip over to Amedee Island independently but the tour operator insisted on knowing what hotel she was staying in and she had to fess up that she was a cruise passenger - which is when she was told that all cruise passengers have to go through their ship. I'm fine with going as part of the Carnival's shore tour as at least the ship waits for you if the tour is running late. I've looked at YouTube videos of people who have been left behind - and don't want that to happen to me!!:o

And my third question - what happens if you book the Amedee Island shore tour through the cruise ship and the weather is terrible? Do you get your money back? Actually this question goes for any shore tour really. What does happen if the rain is thundering down and it's hailing etc. Surely the cruise ship would have to refund your money?

I really would love to do the Amedee Island shore tour because it sounds like there's lots to do and I LOVE the idea of snorkelling with turtles but I don't want to miss out on views over Noumea either.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

Hi there

This is of course just my personal opinion but I do not think you are missing anything if you don't get to see anything of Noumea but Amadee Island. I've been a couple of times in the past and there is not much to "town" and duck island and Lemon beach/anse vata beach are not all that interesting either. Last time I was there we had booked to go to Amadee because of the great reviews but the tour was cancelled due to poor weather. Due to these circumstances we did get a refund from the cruise line but I would not expect a refund if the tour ran but weather was poor.

To answer your initial question, if you book the Amadee Island shore excursion, it is a whole day and you need to be off the ship early as it leaves about 8am and you get back to the ship at about 4pm.

That said though, we went on this excursion last year and found it to be worth every cent. The snorkelling was amazing, the luncheon was fantastic, as was the entertainment, and the scenery was great. If you get the chance, do it as you won't regret it.

Thanks Bella99 and Johnboi for your responses.

I agree, I don't think I will be missing much if I don't see Noumea. I'm comfortable with going to Amedee Island for the day through the cruise ship. I would be quite cross with myself if I don't go - especially after reading all the positive reviews about Amedee Island and the fairly negative reviews about Noumea.

Oh man I can't wait!!! I'm really feeling the winter here in Melbourne this year. It's awful!

Cheers!

We recently did this day trip. It was good but not sure if it was worth the cost of 3 of us for the day. The snakes on the island are everywhere no they are not harmful but I hate snakes. The water is beautiful & so crystal clear. Good day trip over all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

To answer your question, once you are on Amedee Island you are on there for the full day. Mary D are the people that run the tours and they are the people the cruise ships use as well. I believe some snorkelling tours stop in at Amedee briefly but its not an island you can pop over to privately by water taxi etc.

We did the ships tour to Amedee Island last December and I thought it was a great day out and well worth the money. We only saw one snake and it kept well away from us.

Hi - we have been to Noumea a few times on cruise ships. The first time we just did a city tour and then to Anse Vata Beach. In downtown, there seemed to be a lot of empty buildings and sadly, quite a few homeless people. When we went on our next cruise we decided to book Amadee - it was cancelled due to bad weather. In fact, this year in March, after 3 booking being cancelled, we finally made it there. It was a stormy day in Noumea, but on Amadee it was brilliant. Having been to Mare and seen turtles in the spectacular water there, we really didn't think Amadee could be any better. It was incredible! Spent over an hour floating around with turtles who swam around us and ate sea grass. Beautiful fish, incredible view from the lighthouse, an enormous amount of food in the buffet. It was worth every cent. And yes there were little snakes, but they didn't bother anyone. Make sure you walk around the island - the reef on the other side is spectacular. I would continue to book Amadee each time from now on :) hope this helps :) ImageUploadedByForums1404737199.252166.jpg.ca7c34a9c435e6d01dcd27c7572025cd.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

ImageUploadedByForums1404737113.688568.jpg.e7b5b0b0f2201de23c4e38232c8e0a49.jpg

We have been to Noumea a few times now and I would highly recommend Amadee Island over anything else. It was amazing.

Yes it is expensive but well worth it.

We have been to Duck Island which I didn't think was that great, done the city highlights tour. Amadee Island is really the only thing worth doing in Noumea.

We recently did this day trip. It was good but not sure if it was worth the cost of 3 of us for the day. The snakes on the island are everywhere no they are not harmful but I hate snakes. The water is beautiful & so crystal clear. Good day trip over all.
I agree with this. Whilst the island was lovely and tropical, I hate snakes and found myself on edge for the whole day. I couldn't even bring myself to go in the water as a result of the snakes I saw coming out of the water and up the sand. *shudder* :eek: As a result, I think it was a but of a waste of money for us. Edited by Royalty X