Lost Luggage

shipshape78

Yes. Once. And, it was not pretty! :eek: Thankfully, it was early on in our cruise life.

Can't empathize enough . . . travel insurance and cross-pack. Half in one suitcase and half in the other. Carry-ons: medications, valuables, toiletries, one casual and one semi-dress change of clothes, swimsuit and one pair shoes each. Copy of itinerary and contact information in each bag. :)

(p.s. - And, when packing your shoes in the suitcases, keep them in pairs . . . Don't put the lefts in one and ther rights in another!)

We flew out of NY on Jan 2 (Thurs) this year to Buenos Aires. NY decided to have a blizzard that day but we got to the airport and our flight was delayed 5 hours (we had a 10pm flight). Luggage drop off at airport was a mess, tons of bags waiting. We put the itinerary in each bag, etc. and had travel insurance with Celebrity and we got to BA 3 days early for the cruise.

We finally get to Buenos Aires (Fri) - half the planes luggage never made it to the plane. We all fill out lost luggage claims, but no one has a claim number. Thankfully we had out carry-ons with 2 changes of clothes each. Get to hotel, call American Airlines, they say "It should show up tomorrow and we will deliver it to hotel".

Next day (Sat), we go on a tour we had set up, have a nice day, get back to hotel around 5pm - no luggage. Call American again, they say it's at the airport. We get a cab (30 min drive) go to airport and they say "It's not here", they check our luggage tag numbers and can't find it anywhere (in the world). :mad: We go back to hotel and have dinner.

Sunday morning we call American again and tell them we are going on a 2 week cruise that leaves tomorrow! They say go shopping and file a claim. So we hit the mall down the street and speed shop (things were more expensive there than in NY!). Get back to hotel with new suitcase and clothes. Check out of hotel, head to pier. Check in to ship, go to Guest Relations and file a claim. They let us use the phone for free to call American again. American says "Your luggage is out for delivery to your hotel"! We call hotel, "Yes, they attempted to deliver it but since you were no longer guests we had to refuse it". Mind you the hotel knew our problems and had been helping us. Call American again, they say van won't get back until late and we have to wait until tomorrow.:mad:

Monday - eat breakfast then head to airport. Lady at American was not very nice so I finally lost it and told her I want my luggage now! Some other nice lady went to a back room & got it for us. Took cab back to pier, got on ship and 4 hours later ship left port.

Good things - Celebrity Customer Service was great - we had insurance through Celebrity for this so we filed a claim with them and after we came home received $500 each for "delayed luggage". Filed a claim with American (copied all receipts for new stuff) as well. A few weeks later they sent us a check for the entire $1,200 we had to spend.:D

Another good thing - the ship was docked overnight in Buenos Aires (if it had left on Sunday we would never have seen out luggage).:D

Will we still check our luggage - Yes. Will we now pack all shoes, underwear and 4 changes of clothes in a carry-on. We found that shoes (comfy and not killer heels) and underwear (that doesn't let it all hang out) were very hard to find in Argentina. :D

We have also agreed that we will no longer fly out of NY in January (unless it's to somewhere we could catch a train or drive if need be).:D

I also make custom luggage tags for each trip with information for each trip using a business card template. This template is the perfect size for most luggage tags. When cutting leave the outside edge. This makes getting the tag out easier. I also put a more detailed trip information inside each piece of luggage.

OK... that is a genius idea and I am totally stealing it!!

OK... that is a genius idea and I am totally stealing it!!

Thanks for the complement!

I also print Contact Information on the reverse side and with that side facing out.

Shak