Upgrade Fairy

SDadw01

About 5 years ago my son and I were upgraded from guaranteed outside to aft facing mini suite at check in. (NCL not P & O).

What a surprise, we have just been upgraded again! This time to a mini suite....can't wait !

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, We are first time cruisers, going on the Aurora on the 25th September. Do first timers ever get upgraded or is it just for repeat customers?

We had a small upgrade from inside at the front to inside midship on Oceana on 31st August. Only small but it would have been about £200 each more at the time of the upgrade. It's our very first cruise ever so first timers get an upgrade if available as well. We booked under the old Vantage fare and the price dropped slightly when it changed to Select fare. We got the difference back on OBC so £150 for us and an upgrade. The saver fare today is what we paid a year ago and it's never dropped any cheaper than that.

So hopefully the upgrade fairy will pay you a visit!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What type of booking did you make ie Select/Early Saver/Saver?

I think when and which price you book at now seems to have an influence on the likelihood of an upgrade.

Good luck.

This will be our first cruise with P/O Britannia sails on 1.1.2016 . we have paid Select price

would we have slim chance of upgrade as our Deck A is now fully booked for that 2 weeks in Caribbean where would you estimate upgrade would put us oh its Inside Cabin for now or no chance as its new ship confused about upgrade status we have never received or asked before when sailing too Caribbean either on Princess cruises or Thompson cruises in our opinion would be fantastic to be upgraded cabin with window :)

We booked last December and paid the Select price. Does when you book make a difference?

I think so. They actually say that Select have first priority for upgrades and Early Savers second priority.

How it works within that is all speculation. I wonder if within Select for instance, people with lots of loyalty points and/or early bookers get the upgrades first. It would be fair.

From that, you would stand a good chance if I could influence the Upgrade-Fairy, but this is purely my speculation. Good luck!

This will be our first cruise with P/O Britannia sails on 1.1.2016 . we have paid Select price

would we have slim chance of upgrade as our Deck A is now fully booked for that 2 weeks in Caribbean where would you estimate upgrade would put us oh its Inside Cabin for now or no chance as its new ship confused about upgrade status we have never received or asked before when sailing too Caribbean either on Princess cruises or Thompson cruises in our opinion would be fantastic to be upgraded cabin with window :)

Oh gosh, no idea, sorry...... the only thing I have observed over the past couple of years is that there are very few upgrades from an Inside to a Window. People seem to get upgraded within their category.

But again I must stress this is purely my own speculation!!

And it may all be very different on the Britannia!

Oh gosh, no idea, sorry...... the only thing I have observed over the past couple of years is that there are very few upgrades from an Inside to a Window. People seem to get upgraded within their category.

But again I must stress this is purely my own speculation!!

And it may all be very different on the Britannia!

Oh well looks like lost out on upgrade no worries :(

Hey you don't know that! None of us know how it works and this was only my own personal speculation - and you booked early and you booked Select and you registered for an upgrade, so you have quite a few chances of having the Upgrade Fairy visiting.

Good luck! But whether you get an upgrade or not, enjoy your cruise as I'm sure you will.:)

Edited by Scriv

Last year we were upgraded from a mid-ships inside on Riviera deck on Azura -so fairly high up - to a window midships, but down on P deck, so same level as the Atrium. We were a bit concerned about the location, but in the end it was fine and we loved having the window!

Am going to check my booking for Britannia in the Caribbean next Christmas to see if there has been any change to our cabins. Despite booking Select at the start of this year, they refused to allocate us any cabins, just saying we would get the grade we had requested. We were not at all happy and pointed out they were contravening their own T&Cs for Select bookings, but they would not budge. Would be nice to be upgraded to an unobstructed balcony... Talk about wishful thinking!

Hey you don't know that! None of us know how it works and this was only my own personal speculation - and you booked early and you booked Select and you registered for an upgrade, so you have quite a few chances of having the Upgrade Fairy visiting.

Good luck! But whether you get an upgrade or not, enjoy your cruise as I'm sure you will.:)

We sure will have wonderful time Sailing on new ship Scriv

Where is the cabin you have booked. If it is a fore or aft cabin, you could get upgraded to a midships inside.

Also there needs to be cabins of the grade you "could be upgraded to" available.

Sometimes if you have booked the highest grade within a category (ie mid ships inside, high deck) you could be upgraded to the next type of cabin.ie outside(with window)-but could be for/aft or lower deck.

Or the upgrade fairy could go completely outside the box and put you in a suite.

If you do get upgraded please do come on here and let people know what you went from and to-might help us work out how the fairy works.

If you do get upgraded please do come on here and let people know what you went from and to-might help us work out how the fairy works.

We don't sail on the Oriana until 23 January 2015. This is our first P&O cruise. We booked before the fare system changed and got OBC for the difference between Vantage & Select. We were not happy the fare structure changed.

A few days ago our Cruise Personaliser showed our original outside high JC cabin had been changed to an FA delux outside on C deck.

Our first P&O experience feels problematic so I hope there is not any issues to resolve on embarkation. It has taken a considerable amount of persuasion to get Mrs Len to try P&O so I shall be in for it if there are problems. Fingers crossed.

Len

Edited by Len Baker

Len, our friends were upgraded to a mid ship deluxe outside cabin on C deck and it was lovely. It was very spacious. They have even decided to opt for one of those next time after experiencing it. We visited the cabin and liked it very much too. I am sure you and Mrs Len will love it.

30 cruises on many cruiselines and we have never had a sniff of an upgrade with the exception of our 46 day world cruise sectors on Aurora last year when they offered us an upgrade from our Lido deck balcony to a mini suite for the bargain price of £600 each - we declined 😉

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Where is the cabin you have booked. If it is a fore or aft cabin, you could get upgraded to a midships inside.

Also there needs to be cabins of the grade you "could be upgraded to" available.

Sometimes if you have booked the highest grade within a category (ie mid ships inside, high deck) you could be upgraded to the next type of cabin.ie outside(with window)-but could be for/aft or lower deck.

Or the upgrade fairy could go completely outside the box and put you in a suite.

We have Booked Front of ship Deck A PF

just looked at my Cruise Personaliser

Deck:TO BE ASSIGNED

Cabin: GUAR

Category:

if this makes any sense please enlighten me

so does this mean they have not made there minds up where they are putting us

David & Angela:confused:

Last year we were upgraded from a mid-ships inside on Riviera deck on Azura -so fairly high up - to a window midships, but down on P deck, so same level as the Atrium. We were a bit concerned about the location, but in the end it was fine and we loved having the window!

Am going to check my booking for Britannia in the Caribbean next Christmas to see if there has been any change to our cabins. Despite booking Select at the start of this year, they refused to allocate us any cabins, just saying we would get the grade we had requested. We were not at all happy and pointed out they were contravening their own T&Cs for Select bookings, but they would not budge. Would be nice to be upgraded to an unobstructed balcony... Talk about wishful thinking!

Interesting.

I booked Select for Britannia online for December 2015 and was given a choice of cabins within my grade to choose from.