Jewel cabin question-please help

Hi - About 12 of us are having a cousins reunion and decided to do it on Jewel of the Seas Alaska inside passage cruise in July 2015. We are getting ready to book and since none of us have sailed RCL before we really need help in cabin selection.

We are all over 55. All of us have cruised before on various different lines. I pushed for RCL for this cruise so I sort of feel responsible. It seems to me the cabins on this ship are somewhat smaller than any I've experienced in the past.

Please explain the difference between E1,2,3 and D1,2. (what is better)

What I really want is a decent size quiet balcony room for 2 with an unobstructed view fairly close to an elevator

I thought deck 9 would be ideal but on some deck plan website they say most deck 9 balconies have partially obstructed views

Is anyone familiar with 8088.

What would be a good cabin choice. Thank you so much.

The lower letters and numbers are supposed to be better. A "D" is slightly larger than an "E". A "D1" may hold more guests and/or be supposedly better located than a "D2".

You might want to consider using a travel agent so you don't have the burden of arranging everyone's bookings.

An E balcony cabin is slightly smaller than a D balcony cabin. The number is kind of random; sometimes the lower number is in a better location or has a higher occupancy.

We like to be close to the water, so we were in 7530. It was a great location, near the elevators, and very quiet. The balcony is a little deeper than standard (like 2 feet deeper). On deck 7 make sure you are forward of the elevators, otherwise you'll be looking down on the lifeboats.

There is a 27 sq. ft. difference between the smaller E and the larger D catagory. RCI's cabins are not as large as some other cruiselines. There really are no major obstructions....the lifeboats are below ALL side balcony cabins....it's just the design. None block your outward view to the sea. The "extended" balconies on deck 7 are less private than others....the divider doesn't extend to the outer railing.

A cabin on or near the "hump" (check the deck plans and see where the sides of the ship bow outward), is VERY convenient...near to the stair/elevator foyer.

Edited by cb at sea

8088 will have a smaller interior than any D-1 or D-2 cabin, but has an enormous balcony, large enough for a couple of lounge chairs, and larger than most other balcony cabins on the ship. The balcony is fully covered, so you will have protection from the elements. And it's right off the Centrum and very convenient to the elevators. The cabin will have a queen-ish size bed that can be separated into twins and a loveseat (2 cushions) instead of a full sofa (3 cushions).

Be aware that RCI recently recategorized their cabins (for sailings after April 2015) so that, for the most part, a D-1 or E-1 is supposed to hold 3/4 people, while a D-2/E-2/E-3 holds 2. So it may be that you won't even be able to book 8088 with only 2, since it holds 3 or 4 and you will be sailing in July - RCI blocks those cabins for the higher occupancy during peak seasons.

Without knowing what other lines you've sailed on, I can't opine as to the relative size of the cabin. My personal preference would be a D cabin, either D-1 or D-2 for the extra space. It doesn't sound like much, but to me it makes a difference.

thank you all so much for this valuable information. We do intend to use a TA but in my past experience the cruisers on cruise critic know more about cabin selection then TA's. I really value your input. One more question - are all balconies in midship cabins looking down on lifeboats and if so is this very distracting. Since it's supposed to be very scenic sailing thru the inside passage we'd like to have a nice view. Any other cabin number selections you can recommend will be very welcomed and appreciated.

Those lifeboat covers will only bother you if you are one of those people that have to be able to look straight down and see the ship cutting through the water. It will not diminish your view of the fabulous scenery in Alaska AT ALL. You have chosen a beautiful ship to see beautiful Alaska.

thank you all so much for this valuable information. We do intend to use a TA but in my past experience the cruisers on cruise critic know more about cabin selection then TA's. I really value your input. One more question - are all balconies in midship cabins looking down on lifeboats and if so is this very distracting. Since it's supposed to be very scenic sailing thru the inside passage we'd like to have a nice view. Any other cabin number selections you can recommend will be very welcomed and appreciated.

Deck 7 balconies have the most obstruction of the view because the lifeboat covers jut out from the balconies (a really stupid person could climb over his or her balcony onto the covers). But there is nothing in any but a very few balcony cabins that will obstruct your view of land from the ship - you'll be looking straight out at mountains, trees, the occasional bear onshore and maybe sea life. The only thing you might miss is a pod of dolphins swimming right next to the ship.

And some CCers are also TAs.:)

This class of ship was actually built for Alaska with all the glass to show off the beautiful views.

see my photo album for our Alaska on Jewels sister ship Serenade

Have a wonderful time!!!