Trouble in the Middle East we Re going on a cruise to the Holy land in Septmber visit

we are on this too, paid the balnce before the trouble statrted, i remember our cruise which was meant to call in egypt in 2011 when trouble first started over there was only charged within the month before and we got a letter to advise, it must have took a while as they had to change the ports around we missed out egypt, messina and barcelona, went to rhodes, limasol and had an overnight in naples instead, i can imagine it will be the same for this due to where the early ports of the cruise are with isreal being he last 2 days, i imagine we will get an extra sea day though

Yes think your right could be extra days at sea, pity really we only booked because we fancied Jerusalem and Bethlehem but we've done this ship before and we know we will have a good time what ever the alternatives are. We could change the cruise but don't fancy the Med in October.

guys guys...we cant really blame thoms for a lack of respect?...thoms know as little about the ashdod/anywhere else situation as we do?

they cant really be expected to inform passengers of a change when they dont know if there will be a change or not especially when dealing with conflict situations which are usually very fast moving

yes itinerary changes can be very disappointing but we are on a form of transport travelling on the open/international oceans in parts of the world that may or may not be stable....itinerary changes and curtailment can happen at the drop of a hat on any cruise line/ship, for a myriad of reasons? we have to accept that……plus, it is written in the conditions when we book

its a holiday...its leisure time....we dont crucially have to be at a certain place at a certain time as a matter of any urgency...there is always another time

sometimes itinerary changes turn out to be a bonus? thomsons will try and make the best of it for passengers

totally agree stay cool and enjoy whatever comes along

My wife and I are a bit ambivalent about this. Yes we would love to go to the Holy Land, but surely our personal safety is more important? I can understand why Thomson are leaving it late to make any alterations, they probably want to see how this scenario pans out before making a decision. Whilst that means we may get late notice of an alteration, would you prefer it if they changed itinery now, only to find things calm down in the next few weeks (personally, I can't see much change of that)?

As for those complaining about the changes in the itinery, this always has been to a degree 'you pays your money, you takes your chance sort' of scenario. The trouble in Egypt is not recent, and the trouble between Israel and Gaza is definitely not new, there was always a chance of this flaring up. We lost the Alexandria stop, pretty soon after booking (we were notified), and we were always aware there may be issues around the stop in Israel.

We paid for our 13 Oct cruise yesterday at a Thomson TA. and they said whatever the Foreign Office recommended they would adhere to. Its understandable that no decisions can be made at such an early date so lets all just go with the flow and enjoy wherever we go

We go in less than 6 weeks, it would be nice if Thompson could let us know what the alternatives are if it does not go to Ashod. They already pointed out to me that their terms and conditions allow them to change it as they please. So, what can you do. I am not optimistic that we will know much before we embark. My wife and I are calling it the Magical Mystery Tour.

:rolleyes:

I can be quite critical of Thomsons on ocassion, however it must be a major logistical exercise to re-route a cruise and produce an alternative itinerary in these uncertain times.

Several other cruise lines operating in that area will also be seeking to use the same ports on dates that could well cause mutual conflict.

Then there is the task of arranging local excursions, reprovisioning the ship's stores etc., etc.

Small issues become problematic - like visiting entertainers joining/leaving the ship mid cruise for a short gig.

I suppose they are in a classic no win scenario - damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Glad it's not responsibility to re-organise such.

im guessing that the plan at the moment is to visit ashdod as scheduled, if foreign office advice changes then thoms will change....yes it could be a sudden change but i believe thoms are well used to abrupt itinerary changes

I have known them to organise a visit to another port on the same morning...within an hour to somewhere they have not visited before....somewhere that isnt used to to receiving cruise ships (complete with shorex for passengers and little ceremonies/welcomes if its a first visit for a ship)

yep...that does depend on which other ships are also in the area and looking for somewhere to dock? (thoms do seem to always get 2nd dibs on dock space)

but....sometimes you can end up somewhere that the ship has never visited before or a place that you would never have considered going to or have even heard of?....could be a bonus......sounds quite exciting to me

I would not be comfortable heading to Ashdod unless there is a big turnaround of events.

A Hamas warhead (failed to explode) hit there recently and a cruise ship experienced shrapnel as it left port - probably debris from the Israeli Iron Dome anti missile system intercepting another incoming rocket.

Although I am not as bothered about the "where" for the moment. They tout their Terms and conditions but I am not sure if they are in conflict with EU consumer law. On the positive side, Thompson did answer my emails with these hopeful words, if that helps:

"When we get any further information, we will of course contact you with the choices available"

And then in a subsequent email said although their terms and conditions allow them to make changes but they would "work with us.." whatever that means.

So, at least I did not get a: "like it or lump it?"

So, we will see,

Mike

Edited by Dublin_Mike
tyop

'choices available'....'work with you'....that sounds quite promissing

heres my experience of last year....same thing...pharaohs & promised land

I booked this itinerary because after the revolution in egypt this itinerary didn’t sell too well and went down to a stupidly low price which i grabbed with both grubby hands

2 weeks later the cruise was changed to delights of the promised land and missed out port said and alexandria (i already had an inkling that this might happen, i was not particularly enamoured with alex & port said anyway so i was hoping that it would...and it did...happy bunny)

we visited 2 greek islands instead (cant remember which ones?) we did overnight in ashdod as scheduled.... it was a good cruise

we were also offered £50pp obs, if i remember correctly? we were not offered the chance to to cancel or switch without incurring cancellation charges...but I cant be sure on that from memory?

imo most people we spoke to were happy with the substituted islands and the obs

tbh his made good business sense for thoms...they would much prefer people to continue with the cruise rather than have people cancel and then have to run the ship half empty or cancel altogether, that would work out much more expensive for them whereas £50 obs really doesn’t cost them that much as people will spend that credit on-board ....although? (tip) if you have any obs left over when you depart the ship they will give you the left over in cash (thumbup)

We were in the Thomson's shop yesterday and asked them if any decisions had been made re 13th Oct, they said not as yet and would inform of any changes. I told them that some cruise lines had cancelled Ashdod until at least December,

they seemed surprised. I have to say they are a great bunch of girls and can only give us the info they have from their bosses, so it's no good giving them a bad time, we've booked our leg room on the flight and are quite relaxed about it, what will be will be and i'm sure we'll enjoy whatever we do and wherever we go.

I agree, I am sure we would all rather be safe and be able to relax and enjoy our holiday. We have already changed from best of the black sea (at a cost) and are now disappointed with the situation in Ashdod but think of the families who live in Israel, women and children dying everyday. We are the lucky ones being able to go on holiday. I say enjoy - whatever the itinerary. Hope to see some of you on board. Carolyn:)

We are booked on the 1 Sep sailing. We called the Shop, yesterday after reading that Aida and Costa have decided to by-pass Israel as a destination and that others like Holland America may follow suit. The Thompson people said that a decision would be made this week and would be notified, if the itinerary changes.

Hi Guys.

Not been contributing to this but just noticed this was put on the official thomson cruises FB page yesterday:

" I've contacted our Duty Office Team for an update on this and we have removed Ashdod from our itineraries for the rest of Summer 2014. The Aegean & The Holy Land itinerary has now been changed to the Gems of the Aegean, and will now be calling at Kusadasi in Turkey and Mykonos in Greece. Our Programme Change Team are currently in the process of notifying customers."

I agree, I am sure we would all rather be safe and be able to relax and enjoy our holiday. We have already changed from best of the black sea (at a cost) and are now disappointed with the situation in Ashdod but think of the families who live in Israel, women and children dying everyday. We are the lucky ones being able to go on holiday. I say enjoy - whatever the itinerary. Hope to see some of you on board. Carolyn:)
So agree, Carolyn. It is a truly dreadful situation in Israel and Palestine. So sad that they cannot live together in harmony.

If people are really worried about going to that region, and I would be, they can change to another cruise. I think the admin fee is about £50pp

Edited by CRUISIN LINDA

This isn't really completely unexpected news, given the continued uncertainty with Israel and Gaza. A little annoyed they couldn't be more inventive, given that we are already calling at Kusadasi on our other week, but guess it's small potatoes really in comparison. Guess that drinks package is gonna take a bit of a hit :D

Hi, what dates are your cruises, we go 8th Sept Ancient Wonders and 15th Sept the Aegean and Holy Land. Unfortunate about two visits to Kusadasi but never mind just needs a little more studying on what to do there. Carolyn

Hi,

We go on the Sep 1st, but we booked the Cruise primarily for the Cyprus and Israel portion, may look to swop for another cruise later this year, somewhere else, and try this again when peace comes to the Middle east. Unfortunately, that may be in a future life. It is pretty horrific there, makes one value one's life in a quiet place of the world.

Mike

Hi, what dates are your cruises, we go 8th Sept Ancient Wonders and 15th Sept the Aegean and Holy Land. Unfortunate about two visits to Kusadasi but never mind just needs a little more studying on what to do there. Carolyn

We are going a few weeks after you. I would book one of the days for Ephesus if you like Ruins, this is something else. We went there about ten years ago when we stayed in Turkey, mindblowing! One of the biggest arenas I think it was in the ancient world. Only advice would be to take a hat. It is pretty open and you will catch the sun. Also it is quite a walk, from what I remember the coach drops you at the top and you walk down to the bottom.

We go the same day as you 8th Sep I am so disappointed the Holy Land was the reason for booking the cruise

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app