For julesmiles

Well now all-afloaty has got your attention Jules, can I please jump in here with a question for you too? :)

I know you are a big fan of Turkey and wonder if you know the Bodrum area well. We've been a couple of times (and liked it very much too) but I've been trying to find out what the beaches are like in the vicinity. We did once try to get into the sea there on a stony stretch as you walk into town from the port and had to give up as the stones were so sharp. There was a very small area with loungers a bit further along which clearly had some imported gritty sand but although we got in the sea it wasn't a very good place to settle down or particularly attractive. So, have you any experience here to help me? There is a beach (Gumbet) a couple of Km out of town but despite a query on the ports forum have had no replies. I'd be very grateful if you can help ;):)

Julesmiles - some time ago you kindly gave me lots of info on the Ancient Wonders itinerary and I was trying to copy the 1st paragraph to cc because I wanted to ask you a question about it but couldn't work out how to do it lol :D

All-afloaty :)

Well now all-afloaty has got your attention Jules, can I please jump in here with a question for you too? :)

I know you are a big fan of Turkey and wonder if you know the Bodrum area well. We've been a couple of times (and liked it very much too) but I've been trying to find out what the beaches are like in the vicinity. We did once try to get into the sea there on a stony stretch as you walk into town from the port and had to give up as the stones were so sharp. There was a very small area with loungers a bit further along which clearly had some imported gritty sand but although we got in the sea it wasn't a very good place to settle down or particularly attractive. So, have you any experience here to help me? There is a beach (Gumbet) a couple of Km out of town but despite a query on the ports forum have had no replies. I'd be very grateful if you can help ;):)

We loved Bitez - we went there for 3 years running from 2006-2008 before we got the Crusing Bug.

It has a long bay - about 2 miles around with a nice beach next to a pedestrian promenade then bars & restaurants all along it. The beach itself is pretty full if sunbeds which you can use free of charge if you buy drinks from the bars that own the sunbeds. It is a very friendly resort with only bars & restaurants - no nightclubs etc!

We were lucky enough to get an unexpected call into Bodrum last year on a cruise so hopped in a taxi & went there for the day & it was still as nice as ever!

The beach is sandy & some shingle with very shallow water a long way out. None of the beaches on the Penninsular are what I would call scenic like Olu Deniz but they are nice.

I would not go to Gumbet personally - it is a big resort with a lovely beach & bay but a lot of Club 18-30's go there & it is a bit like Marmaris - very busy with lots of bars & nightclubs.

We used to spend a lot of days out on gulet trips - there is a small harbour with lots of the smaller gulet boats all lined up there. We got to know the Captain Zarif & only ever went out on his boat - link here :-

http://www.bitezbeach.com/siesta.htm

He used to take us to lots of little bays to dive or jump in & swim - they were wonderful days out & we have lots of happy memories of our times on his gulet! We went to see him last year & he was very pleased to see us all!

Google Bitez & see what you think - if you are looking at a particular hotel or apartment then I might be able to help.

http://www.bitezbeach.com

If I were to go back to the Bodrum area, I would still chose Bitez. We went a few times on the gulet to a beautiful bay & several times got in a taxi to take us back there. It was called Karaincir. It was a very quiet resort - If you like very quiet with not a lot there, it might be worth looking to see if you can go there ex-UK but I think it was more a Turkish resort. I would certainly spend a few days there though - it was idyllic!

http://www.bodrumpeninsulatravelguide.co.uk/welcome-to-karaincir-beach/

Anything else you want to know, please ask.

Edited by Julessmiles

We loved Bitez - we went there for 3 years running from 2006-2008 before we got the Crusing Bug.

It has a long bay - about 2 miles around with a nice beach next to a pedestrian promenade then bars & restaurants all along it. The beach itself is pretty full if sunbeds which you can use free of charge if you buy drinks from the bars that own the sunbeds. It is a very friendly resort with only bars & restaurants - no nightclubs etc!

We were lucky enough to get an unexpected call into Bodrum last year on a cruise so hopped in a taxi & went there for the day & it was still as nice as ever!

The beach is sandy & some shingle with very shallow water a long way out. None of the beaches on the Penninsular are what I would call scenic like Olu Deniz but they are nice.

I would not go to Gumbet personally - it is a big resort with a lovely beach & bay but a lot of Club 18-30's go there & it is a bit like Marmaris - very busy with lots of bars & nightclubs.

We used to spend a lot of days out on gulet trips - there is a small harbour with lots of the smaller gulet boats all lined up there. We got to know the Captain Zarif & only ever went out on his boat - link here :-

http://www.bitezbeach.com/siesta.htm

He used to take us to lots of little bays to dive or jump in & swim - they were wonderful days out & we have lots of happy memories of our times on his gulet! We went to see him last year & he was very pleased to see us all!

Google Bitez & see what you think - if you are looking at a particular hotel or apartment then I might be able to help.

http://www.bitezbeach.com

If I were to go back to the Bodrum area, I would still chose Bitez. We went a few times on the gulet to a beautiful bay & several times got in a taxi to take us back there. It was called Karaincir. It was a very quiet resort - If you like very quiet with not a lot there, it might be worth looking to see if you can go there ex-UK but I think it was more a Turkish resort. I would certainly spend a few days there though - it was idyllic!

http://www.bodrumpeninsulatravelguide.co.uk/welcome-to-karaincir-beach/

Anything else you want to know, please ask.

Brilliant info Jules very detailed and exteemely helpful - thank you so much. :) Will follow up your links. Thanks again. ;)

Julesmiles - some time ago you kindly gave me lots of info on the Ancient Wonders itinerary and I was trying to copy the 1st paragraph to cc because I wanted to ask you a question about it but couldn't work out how to do it lol :D

If you ask me the question, I might be able to help All Afloaty! I see you are from Somerset which is where I am also from ;)

Use the quote button :)