Lisbon Hotels

yorkiemomjn

Thanks, Mura, and it's funny that we were both thinking of the same restaurant. I guess we probably both read Cruise Critic too much! Sorry, I didn't mean to imply Bom Jardim was expensive, as I know it isn't. Shrimp sounds good (assuming they're big, like what west coasters call prawns and east coasters call shrimp). We only have one night in Lisbon before we board Insignia, so we'll probably eat at Quermesse, but I definitely have Bonjardim in my (copious) notes, so who knows? Maybe MY Howard and I will share the chicken and shrimp!

I've also read things about Tronco near by that sound good. And another good thing I found out was that zomato.com has a lot of menus for Lisbon restaurants - if, of course, you can read a bit of Portuguese!

Sorry, Roothy, I discovered Bom Jardin LONG before I joined Cruise Critic! I don't recall where we found it, but I do recall that later on when I couldn't remember the details of how to get there I found them in Rough Guide (in 2005, I think).

The shrimp dish we have ordered is a very nicely spiced dish -- don't remember if they were big shrimp or not, just that they were delicious. I think they were fairly sizeable, certainly NOT tiny.

I do recommend Bom Jardin but I would never insist that you change your plans with only one night in Lisbon! Still, I can't imagine spending only one day pre-cruise in Lisbon ... it's such a favorite city of ours!

Mura

Sorry, Roothy, I discovered Bom Jardin LONG before I joined Cruise Critic! I don't recall where we found it, but I do recall that later on when I couldn't remember the details of how to get there I found them in Rough Guide (in 2005, I think).

The shrimp dish we have ordered is a very nicely spiced dish -- don't remember if they were big shrimp or not, just that they were delicious. I think they were fairly sizeable, certainly NOT tiny.

I do recommend Bom Jardin but I would never insist that you change your plans with only one night in Lisbon! Still, I can't imagine spending only one day pre-cruise in Lisbon ... it's such a favorite city of ours!

Mura

Hooray for your pre Cruise Critic researching, and anyone who reads Rough Guide is all right with me! And come to think of it, for this cruise, I bought the Rough Guide to Lisbon. Yes, we're only in Lisbon on our own for one day and night, but at at least the ship stays for another day and night, too. We arrive in Lisbon on a Thursday morning and leave Saturday 4PM. I have been wanting to go back to Lisbon ever since we ended a cruise there and had to go directly to the airport!

Roothy,

Our first visit to Lisbon was in 1984. We did a land trip (car rental) from Llsbon up the coast to the Spanish border, turned around and drove down through the Douro to Lisbon, where we spent 3 days. We fell in love with the city.

The next year we started out the same with a car but rather than turning around at the border we drove across Portugal to the eastern part of the country, drove down as far as Evora, then drove back to Lisbon for another few days.

Future years when we were cruising started or ended in Lisbon and we always spent 3 days or so there ...

But if you're on the ship for time, you may still manage Bom Jardin.

And if you can, do not miss the Gulbenkian Museum. It is one of my all-time favorites. When we arrived on my birthday one year the Gulbenkian was first on our list. We discovered that it had closed THE DAY BEFORE we got there for six months. I was suicidal! But when we came back a year or two later, it was still there ...

Also the Tile Museum is super special. And it's right by the port!

Have a great time in Lisbon ...

Mura