Canadian cell phone use in Alaska

SA71

Using Rogers. I assume if data roaming is off or the phone (samsung galaxy s2) is in airplane mode I am ok while at sea to still use it to take photos? Can you receive calls while in airplane mode and will there be charges if i do not answer? Any experiences with getting a US talk and text plan for use in the ports? Thanks.

Using Rogers. I assume if data roaming is off or the phone (samsung galaxy s2) is in airplane mode I am ok while at sea to still use it to take photos? Can you receive calls while in airplane mode and will there be charges if i do not answer? Any experiences with getting a US talk and text plan for use in the ports? Thanks.

Yes you can take photos

No it will not receive or send any signal in airplane mode (you can turn wifi on after activating airplane mode and use wifi signal if available)

If you left cell service on, there is no charge if you do not answer.

My Canadian friends have a U.S. Pre-pay for when they are stateside so can't tell you about the packages.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I assume if data roaming is off or the phone (samsung galaxy s2) is in airplane mode I am ok while at sea to still use it to take photos?

Yes.

Can you receive calls while in airplane mode and will there be charges if i do not answer?

No calls. Airplane mode by definition means your phone has all signal-receiving and sending capability disabled.

If you don't have your phone in airplane mode and it rings, there are no charges if you don't answer (presumably it'll just roll to voicemail).

A small data/roaming plan is also available for $40 if you think you might need your phone.

When I travel I shut off my Mobile Network (Blackberry) but leave the wifi on. When in port if there is wife available I can pick up my e-mail and BBM messages but no phone/phone messages or texts.

I believe the data roaming plan does not cover the extra charge the cruise line adds to on board phone calls, correct? That charge is considerable. Also, is everyone certain if you do not answer you are not charged? Your voice mail message kicks in, so are you not charged for that period of time while it is speaking? I always thought it would. I guess I was mistaken (which is not uncommon when it comes to these things:))