Cape Liberty Transportation

ransrider

This little surprise during the final planning for our August 28, 2014 Explorer of the Seas departure has got me stressed. I live in the Midwest (Minnesota to be exact) and am not used to the enormous transportation cost out east. My flight from MN to NY was only $298 but it sounds like transportation one way from Cape Liberty to LaGuardia Airport might come close to that. Public transportation would be my last consideration. Does anyone have any experience to share or suggestions? I am envious of those that live within driving distance of a cruise port. I think I could really enjoy this type of vacation but coming from MN, the cost has become quite unreasonable. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Deb from MN

My first RCI cruise

Are you flying in the day of the cruise? If so, what time does your flight arrive? If not, where are you staying overnight?

Unfortunately, there are not a lot of options to go from LGA to Cape Liberty. Have you priced a car service and what did they quote you?

Can you roll your luggage at all? I'm not talking stairs - just rolling and using elevators and escalators.

Edited by 138east

Again you all have helped with great suggestions. Just called Carmel Limos (866-666-6666) to reserve a private driver from Cape Liberty to LGA. Printed the $5 coupon from their website so ride was $67. The estimated tolls are $30 and gratuity of 15% will come to $107 which will be divided between two riders for a total of $53.50 per person. No credit card was needed for the reservation. The driver will call us when our ship docks to share any final information. One more item out of the way! Now must sit back and heal. (My foot just came out of a cast today and I am in a non-weight bearing boot for 4 more weeks.)

Sounds like a plan.

$30 sounds high for the tolls. Cash toll for the Lincoln or Holland Tunnel is $13 and for the RFK Bridge or the Queens Midtown Tunnel is $7.50. The Queensboro Bridge is free. The EZ Pass rates are less and the car services should have EZ Pass.

I haven't done this trip, so I have no experience, but I would ask Carmel how they charge for tolls and why they think it could be $30.

Sounds like a plan.

$30 sounds high for the tolls.

That may be an estimate, and/or using the highest tolls possible. Note that for times sake they may desire to go via the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge which does have the highest tolls in the area ($15 or less to NJ ) and then via the Bayonne bridge ($13 or less to NY) and then the Holland/Lincoln/GW at $13 or less to NY. Less if it is off peak and/or with EZ-pass, and keep in mind they may choose to charge round-trip tolls for the one way as the car needs to get back to where it came from!