Pulldown Bunkbed Comfort

ogold72

DCL Fans and Experts - My family is going to cruise on the Fantasy on 20 September and my 7 yr old DD is very excited about sleeping on the pulldown bunk bed. Just by looking at pictures, it does not appear to be a very thick mattress and I did read one post somewhere complaining that the mattress was thin.

What have been others experiences? Is it decent bedding? Can you request maybe an extra comforter to perhaps thicken it up in the event its not extremely comfortable?

Edited by ogold72

It was very comfortable. It is a twin sized bed with a decent mattress. DCL does have a limited number of foam toppers that can be placed on the beds when requested, but people object to the warmth and feel of these sometimes.

I'd suggest you start with the bunk "as is" and see how it goes. Most kids love it. Mine sometimes asked if it could be left down during the day so she could make a "fort" up there using the curtain to create a private hang out.

Thanks for such a quick response! Do you know if every verandah/balcony cabin has the bunk bed set up possibility? Or is it just certain cabins?

On the Magic and Wonder, if a cabin sleeps 4, it will have a bunk. On the Dream and Fantasy, most cabins that sleep 4 have a bunk.

The bunk is built into the ceiling and the stateroom host lowers it at night--so it is either built into a room or it isn't. It isn't something that can be added at your choice. If it matters to your kids that you have one, be sure to confirm at booking that it is there. We NEVER had 4 in a cabin, but DD wanted the bunk so we'd ask to make sure the room had one. If you don't ask, DCL will often want to default a family of 3 to a cabin without the bunk.

We had three in our Dream cabin. Without asking the bed was lowered for the night while we were at dinner. The person in the upper can search for characters in the stars that are above the upper bunk.

We found it gave us more room while the bed is down we could still sit on the sofa.