Blog by a river cruise newbie

Ukalady

I read once that "fear" is the biggest impediment to packing lighter: You're afraid you will have really bad weather so you pack more weather-y clothes. You're afraid you'll get blisters so you pack more shoes. You're afraid you will be hungry so you pack more food. I'm certainly guilty of that, too (I'm afraid those connector cables will fail, so I pack a duplicate). As notamermaid said earlier, I'm not headed to the wilds where nothing's available. If I forget/break/need something, I'll keep in mind I can buy it there, too...

I think you have put into words my packing problem...otherwise know as the "just in case" items" My goal on our river cruise is to not over pack but then again that is my goal with every trip-ugh

Looking forward to following your blog and posts :-)

Rick Steves is a big fan of packing light, but he lost me when he rhapsodized about the adventure of trying to buy toothpaste in a Bulgarian department store. It's "just in case" for me every time!

I think you have put into words my packing problem...otherwise know as the "just in case" items" My goal on our river cruise is to not over pack but then again that is my goal with every trip-ugh

Looking forward to following your blog and posts :-)

Me too!

We've done three river cruises now (Viking Cities of Light, Romantic Danube, and Tulips and Windmills). We've managed to do all three with carry-on luggage only (along with our "personal item" each). One time it probably saved us from missing a connection when we returned to the U.S.

My wife has become a real pro at picking outfits that combine comfort and style. For what it's worth, on our last cruise (Tulips and Windmills), I only saw two women in skirts (one was my wife). That was on the evening of the captain's dinner.

FuelScience

We've done three river cruises now (Viking Cities of Light, Romantic Danube, and Tulips and Windmills). We've managed to do all three with carry-on luggage only (along with our "personal item" each). One time it probably saved us from missing a connection when we returned to the U.S.

My wife has become a real pro at picking outfits that combine comfort and style. For what it's worth, on our last cruise (Tulips and Windmills), I only saw two women in skirts (one was my wife). That was on the evening of the captain's dinner.

FuelScience

I admire any woman who can do that!!! Guess I'll just have to keep on trying :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

FuelScience

On our British Isles cruise last year, we met a couple who traveled with a carry on & personal item each & they were packing for 3 wks. It's very doubtful that I will ever be able to pack that light!

• 2 weeks later...

Today we board the Atla to start the "cruise" part of our trip. I've been blogging our travel to Amsterdam and the pre-trip portion. I'm going to add a gallery of pix--but wifi was a bit problematic last evening. I'll try to add 'em tonight. See you on the ship!

Today we board the Atla to start the "cruise" part of our trip. I've been blogging our travel to Amsterdam and the pre-trip portion. I'm going to add a gallery of pix--but wifi was a bit problematic last evening. I'll try to add 'em tonight. See you on the ship!

I have been following your blog and luv it! Not being very computer savy I don't know how to post a link to it so others can follow along. Can someone else do that????

Thanks for taking us along UkaLady and mom! We'll be doing the Amsterdam to Budapest cruise in November as our first River Cruise. But it is only 2 weeks, it's part of a 9 week trip which will include two other cruises and stays in Iceland, Bergen, Oslo, Amsterdam and Rome. Clothes for everything form North Cape to Casablanca, and we will do it with one "carry-on" size suitcase and one shoulder tote each. That's really a must with trains, buses, ferries and walk-up hotels. There's only one way to travel.... pack-light! But I'm taking DH's cough drops this time instead of like last time... traipsing around Venice searching for something for his sore throat, not as easy I thought.

You are inspiring me that "I can do this, I can do this, I can do this! m--

Nana, it's in Ukalady's signature. :)

If you are on the CC app you can't see signatures or anything in the Topic Line..... Link needs to he in the body of the message.

Ok so packing mantra is "I CAN do this, I CAN do this" :)

Edited by nana541

Nana,

The link is in the body of the very first post of this thread. :)

Sent using Tapatalk. Sorry for typho.

Thanks! Blind in one eye and can't see out of the other..... Can't find my cheaters either ;)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'm really enjoying your blog!! I am going on my first river cruise departing Budapest Aug 27 on Viking Hlin for the Romantic Danube. I'm very interested in hearing about all of your stops as I think once you are further south you will be hitting many of the same stops as us. Also very interested in learning more about your experience on Viking so I can learn more about what to expect! It looks like the weather has been cool for you so far with coats on! Thanks for sharing your journey!

Thanks so very much for posting here and on your blog. We are doing this itinerary Amsterdam to Budapest on Viking Embla in November - our first River Cruise. I don't see a lot (reviews or blogs) on river cruises so you are a godsend to be on "our" cruise line and "our" itinerary!!! I'm absorbing every detail. I want to know it all! How's the food? How's the wine? How's the shampoo? How's the bed? How are the passengers? How are the tours? Any evening entertainment? Do tell us as much as you can!!

Hope you and your mom have a fabulous time! Many thanks!

Oh yes, and hoping all your loved ones back home will be ok through the storms - sending blessings east and west! m--

Updated to include a pretty in-depth description of a Viking stateroom. Also Cologne (including climbing the cathedral's south tower--and mom is 80 years old!).

I'll put the link here again for folks using the app who don't see my signature:

http://rivercruisenewbie.wordpress.com

We're now the Main and they've had to discontinue access to the top sun deck for five days due to low bridges and high water. Keep your fingers crossed that this will be our only "issue" with high water...

Thanks for the time you are putting into this blog, it's fabulous!

And sorry I was confused about where you are from... no storms in CA, it's Hawaii that's getting dumped on. But more blessings to you both for a wonderful time and no high water issues!!! m--

No, no storms at our home, but being an ukulele player, I have many friends in Hawaii. The gentleman who made my favorite ukulele lives in Puna, where the hurricane touched down. A portion of his home is in a tree (but it's pretty ritzy) and I have he and his wife in my prayers.

Just added:

--Locks and river cruising

--Cost of all optional tours on the Grand European Tour

--Updated "shoes" for river cruise tours

--Bamburg: Modern blended with medieval

http://www.rivercruisenewbie.wordpress.com

(for those using the app and can't see the signature)

Ukalady, I am enjoying your blog! I look forward to checking it everyday to read about your experiences. We did the same cruise back in 2012 and had such a wonderful time that not a day has gone by since then when I have not thought about some aspect of it. Thanks for sharing your travels with us!