YVR back to the States

We are spending 1 night post cruise in Vancover.

What will be required for customs to back home. We will not have a direct flight to final destination. I know coming back from Europe we had to go thru customs in Atlanta before getting our connecting flight home. and due to the long custom line we barely made our flight.

so will we have to do this at our first plane change after Vancover also?

Hope someone can answer as my post even looks confusing to me :o

Monkey in Hat. No, don't worry. You clear US customs and immigration in Vancouver. Your plane will land at a domestic gate at your first stop in the US and you won't have any further customs checks. Normally, at the hubs like O'Hare, you won't need to go through security again.

Allow at least 2 hours at Vancouver airport before your boarding time although the process is now quite efficient and normally takes less. 'Duty free' and good food is available after you clear Homeland Security.

There is 1 exception that I know of. Cathay Pacific to JFK has Hong Kong passengers on board so lands at an international gate.

Edited by Earl Rosebery

To expand on the US Pre-clearance; you can easily verify if your flight has pre-clearance by seeing the gate it leaves from on the YVR.CA website. All of the US pre-clearance flights leave from the E-gates. In practise the only ones that don't are the CX/Cathay JFK flight (which is a continuation from Hong Kong); and those flights that leave after 9:30pm or so (after US Immigration/Customs closes).