NO MORE Jamaica from Galveston???

OIL is up, AGAIN!!! This will continue in the industry and is a huge factor.

However, I am taking KW over dobbieville by choice. You will miss seeing planes abandoned in the h2o from Cola flights. It is all about drugs. There is NO reef but a lot of reefer.

Chill and try to make the best of it.

I wondered about some of these factors. Still scheduled on Splendour for OR out of Galveston for the holidays. We'll see what happens.

I am very upset about this change also!:mad: Not really that the port has been changed but that I was charged more because I was going to Jamaica and now I am not, but I am still not being compensated for the change. The cruise the week before mine and the week after are both going to KW and have been since my cruise was booked. However, the price is $50 less both weeks. I feel that I deserve my $50 pp back. What makes my week so much more special than the week before or the week after? I'm going to the same ports, I'm getting the same room, there are no perks that I know of for my particular week, so why do I have to pay $50pp more??? I'm fine with going to KW instead of Jam. I have never been to either so it will be something new for me either way. But, I do feel that I am being ripped off by RC. If we hadn't checked the website, we would have never found out until we got on the ship!

On our last Rhapsody cruise in January, we stopped in Key West, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Personally, the only way I would go to Jamaica again is if someone gave me the trip. I love Key West. Been there twice and can hardly wait to go back.

As for Grand Cayman, when we originally booked, it was GC. Then it was changed to Costa Maya because GC had not fully recovered from Ivan and they were limiting the number of ships allowed in port. After my initial disappointment, I kind of got excited about Costa Maya and a very relaxed and quiet beach day. When I boarded the ship, I found out we were indeed going to GC. Ok, again disappointed about Costa Maya as I had hyped myself up for that, but happy to go to GC again. In the morning, we woke up to find (and I am NOT kidding) six other ships in port that day. With the influx of about 14,000 people on shore at one time and then trying to all tender back in the afternoon, it was a zoo. I have absolutely no desire for a repeat.

Needless to say, the Rhapsody to Key West, Costa May and Cozumel is VERY appealing to me.

I also realize that there are just as many people who love Jamaica as hate it, just as many who love Key West as hate it and Cozumel seems pretty okay by everyone. This is my most humble opinion.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Karen, I can't agree with you more. Were you on Rhapsody in February. We were on the first cruise to GC after Costa Maya. I was terribly disappointed. I can live without Cayman. There were too many ships and people. Key West is a much better stop than Jamaica. That said we go to Negril twice a year, land based and inside a secure compound! That's the only way to go there.

Suz

Hummmm... very interesting.....

I hate Key West. Ok, go ahead and flame away. I have my fire suit on. I do not really like Jamaica, but at least it was NOT KW. The run on the Rapsody is becoming beyond stale. Lots to ports to choose from and they do not change. I even took a cruise on Carnival Elation this summer to get a better set of ports. It was really a good run, but the ship and experience was no where near as good as RCL.

I did note that my cruise at Xmas on the Galaxy out of Galveston dropped Jamaica. I think there is a major problem with RCL and Mo Bay. But then they also seem to have run into a problem with Roatan and Belize as well. I am getting a bit puzzled why RCL is so willing to drop ports when others will not.

I am getting a VERY nervous. Galveston is about to become an also ran in the cruising industry. The Galaxy is leaving and not coming back. Carnival and RCl are running two drunk boats (4-5 day cruise) and two regular cruises. Princess is only there part time. The wonderful outlook for Galveston is getting a bit cloudy. .

I have been wishing that there was a permanent version of the sort of intinerary that the Elation took this summer when Cozumel was hit by the hurricane. Looks like they could do some sort of seven day to Key West, Coco Cay, Nassau.

Needless to say, the Rhapsody to Key West, Costa May and Cozumel is VERY appealing to me.

Right there with you, Karen. We were initially disappointed last January when we learned Rhapsody would do Costa Maya instead of Cayman (Ivan); but after our day at Pez Quadro the disappontment was thoroughly washed away, so to speak.

Jamaica? It's been almost 20 years since we've been there, and we did choose our next sailing in January to go there. Que sera sera, easy come easy go. But, now my son gets to ride the Conch Train (it was hell last time trying to explain why he couldn't ride it-the kid LOVES trains. Won't make that mistake this time). And, we get to see Pete and Wayne again. They're a great reason to visit Key West, is nothing else is!

Celebrity pulled Port Antonio off the 5 night Zenith for a few cruises then put it back

RCCL - apparently pulled Ocho Rios off the Freedom and substituted Montego Bay

Maybe it the port tariffs baybe they are tired off hearing the negativity.

I happened to like Jamaica - never say any of the issues other than in your face at Dunns River.

I know years back RCCL pulled Martinique off the list even though it was a very cheap place to dump garbage - hmnnn how appropriate - but the problem as I see it is there are not all that many ports in the caribbean that can tah a ship the size of the Rhapsody or Voyager.

IMHO you can keep Dominican Republic, Grenada, Dominica - I would like to see Maybe more Costa Rica, and Venezuela

• 2 weeks later...

This is our 4th time in Key West. I was looking forward to Jamaica, but that's life in the fast lane. We usually book the Sunset Sail on Fury Catamarans. Get off the ship walk down Duval and do the tourist thing. Hit the Sunset Sail, they serve beer wine and non-alcholoic. Do dinner on the ship so you have food in your stomach if you're going to hit the bars downtown. Of course the highlight is watching those who have imbibed too much get back to the ship. But then I am easily amused.

Archived