Alternatives besides Tulum?

Love2cruisegirl

My husband and I will be on RCCL's Navigator in September. We had wanted to go to Tulum however, after reading so many posts regarding the unbearable heat :eek: (and the fact that Tulum will take our whole day in port), we are re-thinking our decision. Does anyone have any suggestions for other ruins? We'd still like to have time to go to the beach, shop, etc. Thanks! :)

How about Tulum/Xelha combo? That way you would get a taste of the ruins, some great snorkeling and still some time for shopping. Just take water, hats and maybe an umbrella if you are really worried about Tulum.

Thanks for the suggestion. What do you think of Xcaret vs. Xel-Ha? It seems Xcaret has so much to do...but is more expensive (not that it's a big deal). I wanted to see ruins but the more I think about the time & effort it will take to get to Tulum...:rolleyes: I'm just not sure if I'm THAT interested in seeing a HUGE ruin. I've read about San Gervasio and thought maybe that would be an option...not HUGE ruins but ruins no the less. Any thoughts? My husband really wants to take some Jungle Jeep ride-or ATV ride...something more invigorating than walking around the ruins all day. He's like me...would like to see some cultural/historical aspects of the Yucatan but really doesn't want it to take all day.

rjscott,

Thanks! I think that is a website I checked out today. Did you find Xel-Ha to be an all-day sort of place or could you go for part of the day and still get your $$ worth? I can't remember the price...just remember that it was reasonable. Maybe I could do this and my husband could still work in a Jeep/ATV excursion?

As with Chankanaab Park in Cozumel, you can make it an all day visit or just go for swimming/snorkeling and be done. I've not done San Gervasio, but I have friends who have and they enjoyed it, knowing it wasn't the scope of Tulum. I believe if you search back on the Cozumel board for San Gervasio, you'll find some info on those ruins. That sounds like what you might want and you could do that and a jeep trip.

Archived