washinton state cruisers and Enhanced ID

Ballard67

So we are on the Solstice Aug 29th, we are doing the white pass rail In Skagway and are final port of call Is In Victoria. Its going to be me my wife and her parents. Beside my wife, all of us have Enhance id, she has a actual pass port. All of us are Washington state residents. We are using our Enhanced Id as our ID getting on the boat and on our excrusions.

All the reading i have done says we will be ok, so i wanted to get a feel from other WA residents or US border states with Canada (that can use the Enhanced Id) what there experiences with the ID Is. We will bring our Birth certificate with us so we will have that along with our ID's. I scan the web and get a lot of might Be's,could Be's so i wanted to get a hands on info with the ID's.

The documentation requirements are listed on the US Dept of Homeland Security web site.

Be sure to check with your cruiseline requirements as well.

Also keep in mind that if anyone in your group has a DUI or other conviction they might be turned away at the Canada border crossing. Check the Canada Border Services Agency for more info if that's a concern.

I'm sorry that I can't answer your question, but noticed your name (Ballard67) and since you are from WA, I'm guessing you live in Ballard. We lived there for many years and saw the ships pass by on Shilshole. Now we watch them pass by from Magnolia.

Enjoy your cruise and I hope you find a satisfying answer to your question.

I'm sorry that I can't answer your question, but noticed your name (Ballard67) and since you are from WA, I'm guessing you live in Ballard. We lived there for many years and saw the ships pass by on Shilshole. Now we watch them pass by from Magnolia.

Enjoy your cruise and I hope you find a satisfying answer to your question.

Yep i was born and raised In Ballard,love Magnoila, my parents live at Ft Lawton(now Discovery Park) when it was a active base. I work down at the pier 91 where the cruise boats go out.

The documentation requirements are listed on the US Dept of Homeland Security web site.

Be sure to check with your cruiseline requirements as well.

Also keep in mind that if anyone in your group has a DUI or other conviction they might be turned away at the Canada border crossing. Check the Canada Border Services Agency for more info if that's a concern.

Well that's why I am asking here, for experience cruise goers , i already went there, the site does not give enough exzact info i was after. These our government sites, what they say and do our two different things. Why the DUI question? very odd recommendation, specially when i said nothing about it and none of us drink?. I know you would not know this, but again you would not know this nether before posting your comment.

The web site makes it pretty clear. An EDL will work.

U.S. Citizens

By Air: All U.S. citizens including children must present a passport or other approved travel document when entering the United States.

By Land or Sea: U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry are required to have documents that comply with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), most commonly a U.S. passport, a passport card, a trusted traveler card or an enhanced driver's license.

See the complete list of trusted traveler cards and WHTI-compliant documents.

http://www.dhs.gov/how-do-i/cross-us-borders

I mentioned the DUI and other criminal activity because it has come as a shock to other travellers. Just giving you a heads up.

So we are on the Solstice Aug 29th, we are doing the white pass rail In Skagway and are final port of call Is In Victoria. Its going to be me my wife and her parents. Beside my wife, all of us have Enhance id, she has a actual pass port. All of us are Washington state residents. We are using our Enhanced Id as our ID getting on the boat and on our excrusions.

All the reading i have done says we will be ok, so i wanted to get a feel from other WA residents or US border states with Canada (that can use the Enhanced Id) what there experiences with the ID Is. We will bring our Birth certificate with us so we will have that along with our ID's. I scan the web and get a lot of might Be's,could Be's so i wanted to get a hands on info with the ID's.

My husband and I cruised on the Century out of Vancouver this June, we both have the WA enhanced DL, no problems at all, we live close to the border which is why we got the enhanced DL when it first became available, have never had a problem crossing the B.C. border with it. No problem using it with check-in procedure at Celebrity check in at the dock in Vancouver. Enjoy your cruise!

So we are on the Solstice Aug 29th, we are doing the white pass rail In Skagway and are final port of call Is In Victoria. Its going to be me my wife and her parents. Beside my wife, all of us have Enhance id

If you are taking the train excursion that doesn't cross into Canada, you're fine.

I have done the White Pass train excursion in the past with my EDL and no problem - travel into and out of B.C. is fine using ground/train/boat with an EDL - only exception is flying, I can't use it to fly into/out of Vancouver airport etc. Whether you have a passport or EDL, you may encounter problems crossing if you have a criminal record, DUI, etc. , but in general, have found customs and questions are easier when customs is told your reason why you are visiting Canada [i.e. a cruise].

I have done the White Pass train excursion in the past with my EDL and no problem - travel into and out of B.C. is fine using ground/train/boat with an EDL - only exception is flying, I can't use it to fly into/out of Vancouver airport etc. Whether you have a passport or EDL, you may encounter problems crossing if you have a criminal record, DUI, etc. , but in general, have found customs and questions are easier when customs is told your reason why you are visiting Canada [i.e. a cruise].

Thanks that's what I was looking for, there is such a grey area with the EDL card.

Thanks that's what I was looking for, there is such a grey area with the EDL card.

Not really a grey area, you can make land or sea border crossings with them, but not by air. The legalities may be poorly written, for those of us not lawyers, but it's clear enough.

We had absolutely no problems using our EDLs on the White Pass RR crossings.

Jim