Uniworld Soon-Hints, Tips, Etc.

japiscopo

We will be sail with Uniworld in October on the Vienna to Amsterdam cruise.

I can't seem to find much on the internet, (any site) about Rhine-Main-Danube Cruises, let alone Uniworld. If anyone has been on a Uniworld Cruise, could you share some of your opinions on the ship, food, excursions, cabins and ports. Are there some tours that are better skipping and exploring on your own? Do you have enough time to shop? Are there port lectures? Does the tour in Vienna take you into St. Stephans's (the brochure is not clear on this)? We will be in Vienna for 2 days before the cruise and could tour the interior of St. Stephan if the tour does not, but don't want to do it on our own if the tour does it.

I did read one review from a passenger on Vantage who said they were mainly served pork for all meals on board their ship. Is this the case with Uniworld? Any and all information would be appreciate i. This is one of those trips we've been talking about for a few years and finally the time came.

Thanks in advance

Mary Lou

My wife and I took Uniworld from Basel to Amsterdam on the River Princess two summers ago. This trip was the best two weeks we've ever experienced. Food was plentiful, varried, and very good. There was plenty of time to shop. Just read ahead about the cities you will visit and be prepared to keep active. This cruise is very different from ocean cruising. We would have taken Uniworld again for our trip up the Danube from Budapest to Prague but Uniworld does not offer a side trip to Salzberg. We are on Avalon's Poetry in September.

Easy Dad- I am trying to decide between Uniworld and Avalon river cruises for 2006. Uniworld is unique in offering a self service laundromat on their ships but like you say does not offer a side trip to Salzburg when visiting Passau. I would be very interested on your opinions, pros and cons, etc. regarding the differences between these 2 cruises on your return. Thanks:)

Good morning,

I find it very interesting to see that the availability of a laundromat is a deciding factor in what cruiseline to take for a European river cruise.

Not the age of the ships (Avalon has the newest ships on the European rivers), size of the cabins (Avalon has the largest cabins available). What is included in your itenerary etc.

Avalon might not have a laundromat available, they do however claim to be a first class cruiseline. They do have laundry service available (which, I think, is much more firstclass than a laundromat).

When you spent all that money on a beautiful cruise, why do you want to save money by doing your own laundry.

Imagine on the same line that guest who do not have a transfer included to the airport, want to save money by taking public transport from the ship to the airport instead of taking a taxi, which is a nightmare with all your your suitcases.

:rolleyes:

Thanks for your input. I do like to travel light and hate to do my laundry in my room. Last year I spent $25 to wash abd dry 6 pairs of underwear in Italy. It's my hangup, I guess. I do believe the Avalon cruises with the new boat coming on line for 2006 sounds like the best trip though. Maybe I should re-think my reasoning.:)

Last year we did the Danube with Avalon, and in December did a Christmas Market cruise with Uniworld. We usually pick by itinerary, but if they are similar, we would pick Avalon(through Globus). They are more upscale, have better ships, better food, and gave a better expierence. We have booked an Avalon cruise from Budapest to the Black Sea for 2006.

As of yesterday, Uniworld did not have 2006 on their website, but Avalon is booking up fast(we booked a month ago and did not get our first choice of cabin).

Dennis U

I am going on Uniworld Sept.17 from Prague to Budapest. When I booked in Feb., my first choice was Avalon, but there were no cabins left. I have researched Uniworld and it seems as if it will be a great cruise.

The Salzberg trip was not a factor. The newer ship and larger cabins were the difference in my original decision.

We got the last room available at that time for the weeks we could go in Sept. I guess this is a very popular itinerary for Sept.

Aneckc,

I'll offer my thoughts on the different companies, however I don't think you can go wrong with either. My recommendation is to pick the itinerary you like best. There is a very good review of the Budapest to Prague trip on Avalon Poetry in another thread.

Easy Dad

Legalsea,

Yes, it was rather cold. It snowed only once, with little accumulation. However, on most mornings there was a very heavy frost. At first, we thought there had been freezing rain, but it was frost! One morning it was about 1/4 inch deep on the dock.

Another factor is that there is little daylight. It seemed that it got light around 8 or 8:30, and got dark at 4:30.

A few days were overcast, but others were sunny. The weathercast I read prior to the trip was not too accurate, so just go with the weather.

Dress in layers, with good synthetic long johns (DO NOT WEAR COTTON LONG JOHNS). Wool or synthetic socks are a must(again, not cotton). Take a sweater. I took a coat with a zip out liner, which worked well(it was also water resistant). A hat is mandatory, and gloves are a good idea. Most Europeans wear wool scarves. I took one and found it to be invaluable. Dress for comfort and warmth, not for fashion.

Be prepared for the weather and you will do fine. It was a great trip and we plan to do it again in a year or two.

Dennis U

Hey - can you recommend any specific long johns to buy for DH and for me? We live in south FL so will have to order from somewhere - you said get synthetic - the reason? Also on the socks, someone told me you can buy (silk?) sock thingies that you wear with your socks (over or under socks?) to keep your feet much warmer and dry - do you know what these are? Any info you can tell me would be appreciated - we are doing the Christmas/New Years Munich to Amsterdam cruise on Vantage - we need to keep warm but are pretty clueless on what to buy. Thanks, in advance! Cindie

Cindie,

Why synthetics? Synthetics, which are usually some form of polyester, wick moisture away from your body, thus keeping you dry and warm (or cool in the summer). Cotton will hold moisture, and moisture against the skin in cold weather will make you colder. With dry cotton, your body will loose heat three times faster than wook, nylon, acrylic, and six times faster than polypropelene. With wet cotton, it's nine times faster than wool or synthetics.

Silk is good too.

You probably will not find what you need in Florida, and will have to order by mail or on line. Check rei.com, cabelas.com, basspro.com or any other sporting goods dealer. Patagonia makes a complete line of products which are very good, but exspensive.

Hope this helps. If not, let me know.

Dennis U

Thanks for all the hints on what to buy for long johns - we just don't have much need for them down here in south Florida - but I will get online and order some for DH and me. We are getting just too excited about the holidays in Germany and Holland-and about the river cruise - to me it seems like it is up close and personal, unlike the ocean cruises. Don't get me wrong - still love the ocean cruises and counting the days til we sail on the Westerdam in October but I believe I am more excited about the river cruise. Probably because we just sail along and stop in little towns where there aren't 5 other mega liners and so much to see and do. Thanks, again! :D

Not sure who told that to you...not so. Just returned 8/16 on the Vantage Holland to Hungary cruise. Always had 3 choices for lunch and 3 choices for dinner. A meat entree, a fish entree and a veggie plate for those who want that sort of thing. We had pork maybe twice in 14 meals. Can't say enough good things about Vantage. Willard

M y husband and I have taken 3 cruises with Uniworld--the first on the Seine from Honfleur to Paris. The second, a three week trip grom Bucharest to Amesterdam.(the only direction to do). The third was their So, Amer. on the NCL Crown. The food on the two river cruises was very good. In fact on the first week of the BtoA, trip the Maitre D and the kitchen were not up to the hotel manager's standard. When we reached Budapest, maitre d, chef and part of wait staff were replaced.. The food was then on gourmet level. There were always daily specials at both breakfast and lunch, as well as the usual buffets. During the days of sailing only there were theme parties on the sun deck--weather permitting--otherwise they were held inside.

Others have scoffed at the laundramat---believe me, it was nice to have clean clothes that didn't cost a small fortune. On NCL, we had to use laundry service---quite expensive. They were not to be used after 10pm. Cruisers abided by the request. I personally would not book the cabin next to or across from the machines. I would not book cabins at the prow on the 200 level--bow thrusters can be very, very noisy at night. Unlike our cruise on the Seine, we sailed on every night. There was always coffee, iced tea, hot tea, fruit and marvelous chocolate cookies available all day.

The reason I said Bucharest to Amesterdam----you start out in depressed, former Communist countries and watch their fight to enter capitalism. The economies improve as you go on towards Amsterdam. We will sail with Uniworld again.

• 4 weeks later...

Uniworld was bought by Trafalgar earlier this year.

We have just completed Basel to Amsterdam from 3rd Sept to 10th Sept on Uniworld RIver Queen and only one word - FABULOUS!!

Staff and services were excellent - ok so we spent the first night without aircon which was uncomfortable but the company bent over backwards to compensate.

Food was always spot on and a good variety. Pork seems to be the main meat in Europe so it could account for the bias. We happened to pass through Passau for a couple of days from Prague to Basel by train and heard a couple of complaints about the food on the Viking ships. This may have been these particular cruises as I feel that the business is very competitive and I don't think that the companies can afford to get a bad reputation.

As for excursions - well I skipped a couple of them because I felt that there were too many.

As for the laundry - a major plus in my books. Free and quick. Put your name on the list and washing takes 30 mins and drying 30 mins. Better than the $6 laundry fee for a shirt or a pair of undies. And it's no problem - surley you've got 5 mins to put it on and 5 mins to takes it out.

Archived