Buying Cheers program on the second day...

fan3car

We always cruise from Texas and day one drinks are never included on Cheers and they are never added to Cheers. Cheers can only be purchased on day 2 out of Texas

OK. I've never sailed from TX and don't know first hand. I was just parroting what someone else had said. That's why I prefaced my post with "I've been told". I know that TX has some wacky liquor laws that affect the ships.

Thanks for the reply. That was my understanding as well. Now to figure out if our first day purchases will balance out with the cheers the other days to make it worthwhile.

OK, I know am a nerd....:o

...but I did a spreadsheet to compare a la carte alcohol purchases (with and without the wine package) to the Cheers program with the new pricing.

I factored in: our typical drinking pattern for embarkation day, port days and sea days; the break even point for us; with and without sodas; buying it on Day 1 vs. Day 2.

With the new pricing it was at least a wash for us every day, some days it was a savings. I only really want to break even -- I'm not interested (or capable :eek:) of drinking 15 drinks a day.

So we're going for it, and buying it on embarkation day! :) I think it will be fun to even try a few new drinks that I might not ordinarily purchase, such as the shots/liquers in the MDR.

You can't get the shots in the special glasses in the MDR under Cheers. I'm sure they can bring you the shot separately from those on the tray though, if you order through your bar wait person or MDR wait person.

You can get the same shot in a regular shot glass

You can't get the shots in the special glasses in the MDR under Cheers. I'm sure they can bring you the shot separately from those on the tray though, if you order through your bar wait person or MDR wait person.

you can, but you're just charged for the glass, not the drink. i did this every night in the MDR last week. they didnt bring it separately. it was pour in the souvenir shot glass. drink credited to my Cheers program, shot glass billed to my Sail and Sign card/account.

same with DOTD, too. drink credited to my Cheers, souvenir cup billed to my S&S

ETA: and yes, Texas does have some crazy liquor laws! LOL our first day last week (sunday) we racked up a good $300-$400 drink tab since we couldnt buy the Cheers Program! and, no its not credited back to your program after buying! and on 7 days (sun-sun) you're only charged for 5 days on Cheers (mon-sat)

Edited by KLD1019

you can, but you're just charged for the glass, not the drink. i did this every night in the MDR last week. they didnt bring it separately. it was pour in the souvenir shot glass. drink credited to my Cheers program, shot glass billed to my Sail and Sign card/account.

same with DOTD, too. drink credited to my Cheers, souvenir cup billed to my S&S

Just curious -- what was the charge for just the shot glass?

OK, I know am a nerd....:o

...but I did a spreadsheet to compare a la carte alcohol purchases (with and without the wine package) to the Cheers program with the new pricing.

I factored in: our typical drinking pattern for embarkation day, port days and sea days; the break even point for us; with and without sodas; buying it on Day 1 vs. Day 2.

With the new pricing it was at least a wash for us every day, some days it was a savings. I only really want to break even -- I'm not interested (or capable :eek:) of drinking 15 drinks a day.

So we're going for it, and buying it on embarkation day! :) I think it will be fun to even try a few new drinks that I might not ordinarily purchase, such as the shots/liquers in the MDR.

Anyway you can post your spreadsheet or email to me? I was going. To make one but if you already did it.... Thank you!!

As stated, prior to your 15th drink tell them you want to purchase it rather than count it against your Cheers program. You may get some pushback and you may not but it can definitely be done.

Ok then here is the real question... Wife and I will be cruising. We will both be required to particpate in the Cheers Program. She will only drink 3-4 per day, so do we get 30 drinks per day between us? Can I buy the drinks for both of us or does she have to get her own and give them too me? Thanks, doc

Since you all seem so knowledgeable I just wanted to ask this. It has probably been covered before but my adult son is in our room with us on a separate account and my 12 yo son is in the room also on our account. Can I get the cheers program for me my hubby and the soda card for the 12 year old and not the adult son? I don't think he is interested in purchasing it. Just wondering if anyone knows the answer.

Cruising on Saturday and getting excited. Just wanted to get some quick info on this.

Since you all seem so knowledgeable I just wanted to ask this. It has probably been covered before but my adult son is in our room with us on a separate account and my 12 yo son is in the room also on our account. Can I get the cheers program for me my hubby and the soda card for the 12 year old and not the adult son? I don't think he is interested in purchasing it. Just wondering if anyone knows the answer.

Cruising on Saturday and getting excited. Just wanted to get some quick info on this.

All people in the cabin 21 and over must buy the program, no matter if they are on separate accounts

Ok then here is the real question... Wife and I will be cruising. We will both be required to particpate in the Cheers Program. She will only drink 3-4 per day, so do we get 30 drinks per day between us? Can I buy the drinks for both of us or does she have to get her own and give them too me? Thanks, doc

And the real answer is Yes, if your wife is 21 or older and you want to buy Cheers then you will both be required to buy the Cheers program.

Also, the real answer is you are not allowed to share drinks under the Cheers program. You do not have 30 drinks for the cabin, you have 15 drinks and she has 15 drinks.

Edited by Out to sea!

We had no trouble with one of us ordering drinks for both, but did require taking both cards to put in the orders. Several waiters memorized our cards and would just bring whatever we asked for and balance the drinks on the accounts. One night my husband exceeded his limit but they had already brought him the drink so they just added it to mine. We also received a few samples of drinks that they didn't count against us. We didn't tip extravagantly but we would add an extra dollar to a few of the receipts every now and then, especially for the waiters and bartenders who served us a lot. Maybe $3 a day, a little more for our two favorites . We apparently became so predictable in 8 days that we would often just have to walk up and the bartender would be fixing drinks already.... Did discover that 15 alcoholic beverages, even spread out through the entire day, was really too much for us. I had the worst heartburn of my life and was the first cruise I lost weight on because I was too full to eat lol.

This person just boarded Splendor today and posted this from the ship.

- We cannot book the cheers till after after six.

- it will be available tomorrow.

I didn't get a chance to ask about tax yet but I suspect there will be no tax if they are making us wait till 7 to buy

This person is currently on Liberty and posted these yesterday Aug 11

On the Liberty now on an 8 day cruise. pricing is 37.50 per day X 8 = 300.00 +15% tip (45.00), for a total of 345.00

No problem. I was just checking my emails anyway. I just confirmed with my favorite bartenders at the Versailles aft pool bar, that according to them, nothing has changed except the price. You can still purchase Cheers on the 2nd day.

No tax is charged except for the local taxes charged while the ship is still at the embarkation port, and is only charged on the drinks you order while still in that port. For me, while still at Port Canaveral, it was 30 cents a drink. Hope this helps. Heading to the Blackjack tournament now. BTW, we will be in Grand Turk with you on Friday. I always strive to get cabanas 9 or 10 at Margaritaville. Stop by and say hello.

Also, someone else said John Heald posted that nothing about the program changed except the prices, although I did not read that myself. If it's true and you could buy on 2nd day before, then it stands to reason that you can still buy on 2nd day.

Based on the experiences of the above two people currently on a ship, you should be able to buy on 1st or 2nd day everywhere, and 2nd day only in Texas.

Thanks, Out to sea.... I figured I should ask so how strict are the servers if ya tip them extra? Thanks, doc

Two reasons I cannot answer that question yet. First, I have not purchased Cheers yet (plan on it in March on the Sunshine with the new lower pricing)......Second (and more importantly) I would never grease someone's palm in an effort to get them to violate or ignore the rules.